Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Monsters Inc.: The Forgotten Taxi

I was just thinking about Monsters Inc.: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue and it occured to me that in the queue (a transit hub) and at the very beginning of the ride, they make a point of telling you that you're in a taxi, going on a tour of Monstropolis, when the breach of "child security" happens. They give you a more specific role to play than some of the older dark rides do (where you're basically just going through the environments and following the characters). However, after that point, the idea that you're in a taxi is never brought up again. Suddenly, we're just following Mike and Sulley. The "taxi" drives through a restaurant, a factory and even a bathroom and none of the characters seem to notice. The taxis on Roger Rabbit and the cars on Mr. Toad also drive through indoors environments, but they're supposed to be careening out of control, whereas the Monster's Inc. taxi seems to be driving slowly and calmly.

(Note that on ToT, even though its a very strange service elevator with chairs and seatbelts in it, the idea that you're in an elevator is never forgotten )
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Re: Monsters Inc.: The Forgotten Taxi

Wow, maybe someone else will have an answer as to why this is, but I have no clue either. That's a great point that I never thought about!

• Don't Panic

How do you know that taxis in Monstropolis don't drive through all those places?

It's simply difference in culture.

They are monsters after all (even if they're friendly ones...)

------

------

• revolutionary waltz

I always thought that, since it's a tour, they're just taking you into the different places as a tour group (like when my environmental science toured a landfill once, we went through buildings and stuff in the bus). The only reason the monsters don't notice you is because of the 'panic' over there being a human (seeing as we are good little monsters) around is all.

• Troublemaker

There's a simple reason for the whole taxi tour concept that gets dropped two seconds into the attraction -- one that has more to do with budget than storytelling.

They were shoehorning the Monsters Inc. attraction into the former Superstar Limo sets, track, vehicles and building. So, the inside of the ride may have been retelling the story, but the Imagineers had to justify why you were getting into a car-like vehicle with a video monitor attached. Once they did that, they dropped the concept right when you round the first corner into Monstropolis sets.

Could they have redesigned the attraction vehicles into something more fitting? Probably.

Or, could they have tied the taxi tour into the story told once in the ride? Probably. But they didn't, did they?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphenom View Post
    There's a simple reason for the whole taxi tour concept that gets dropped two seconds into the attraction -- one that has more to do with budget than storytelling.

They were shoehorning the Monsters Inc. attraction into the former Superstar Limo sets, track, vehicles and building. So, the inside of the ride may have been retelling the story, but the Imagineers had to justify why you were getting into a car-like vehicle with a video monitor attached. Once they did that, they dropped the concept right when you round the first corner into Monstropolis sets.

Could they have redesigned the attraction vehicles into something more fitting? Probably.

Or, could they have tied the taxi tour into the story told once in the ride? Probably. But they didn't, did they?
    Exactly what I was thinking.

• =)

You see that nail? That one right there? It was just hit on the head.

• "I Break Things"

Now they need to tie in the Disney characters hidden in the corner in order to sell more and make the ride more popular.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I always thought that though the ride was multitudes better than Superstar Limo, they failed on really making an engaging attraction that really pulls you in.

One of the best parts of the ride is when you round the corner and the CDA is really turning it on, rounding the corner, near collision, helicopters overhead... that's how the whole ride should be. WE the guest on the run with monsters on our tails and only Mike & Sulley can save us.

I also wish they could get their mouths to move by now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

The reason Monsters Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue is so terrible is because the taxis are "driving slowly and carefully." A Monsters Inc. ride should feel totally wild and out of control like Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I always thought that though the ride was multitudes better than Superstar Limo, they failed on really making an engaging attraction that really pulls you in.

One of the best parts of the ride is when you round the corner and the CDA is really turning it on, rounding the corner, near collision, helicopters overhead... that's how the whole ride should be. WE the guest on the run with monsters on our tails and only Mike & Sulley can save us.

I also wish they could get their mouths to move by now.
    You mean like the mouths move in every other dark ride at Disneyland? Oh wait...
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

It's ok if mouths don't move IF the directing of the ride is done well.
    1) Speed
    2) Darkness
    3) Distance

Those are the three friends of special effects in movies. In classic Disney dark rides Speed and Darkness are used to great effect to make an entertaining ride where you don't think about the fact that the mouths don't move. But in both Winnie the Pooh and Monsters Inc. where the vehicles move uber slowly past the scenery, it's painfully annoying that the mouths don't move.

Red Face Re: Monsters Inc.: The Forgotten Taxi

Maybey they were thinking about kids who dont care what car they are riding in but the over all expierience. i know tht sounds bad but i think that the popular saying that cm's learn is that "when people come to dland they check there brains out" applys to this attraction. Right or wrong, this is a true dland belief. Trust mei know. Its wrong cause it doesnt make sense, however WDI is not trying to please the critical guests but the overall guests. This is not a veryified fact but i think its a pretty good guess. i am not saying its right just what they they think. I think that disney feels that thier "average" guest will buy into the expierience, regardless.
    i await the criticsm <sp?> we just have to remember that here at mice age we are a more critical group. it doesnt mean they are ok in thier desicion. But we have to try to understand at least a bit where they come from.
    I hope i did not offend anyone i was just trying to present another side. Also i note that i am not saying that this makes everything ok, its just some opposite logic that at times we forget about.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    You mean like the mouths move in every other dark ride at Disneyland? Oh wait...
    Haha well, the flowers in Alice in Wonderland sing along with the song. And the doorknob talks as well. I figure that enough time has passed that they can do something that's better than what has come before it.

The vehicles are also super slow. Pooh and Monsters just aren't as fun because of the sluggish pace.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Fleeting Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think you hit on one of the big differences between the Fantasyland dark rides and Monsters Inc and Pooh. In the classic rides it's much more about all these things happening to you. You are being chased by the witch, you are flying through Neverland, and you are driving madly through town only to hit a train and go to hell. You do see the main characters from the movies as well, but the focus is more on you personally taking an adventure through the world of the movie.

With Monsters Inc and Pooh, there's more of a sense of you just watching things happening to the main characters, like moving through a diorama. The characters hardly seem to know you're there (except for Roz and the CDA scene as mentioned). With Monsters In specifically, it would've been much more fun for you to be on the run through Monstropolis, get menaced by Randall, Mr. Waternoose, and their scream sucking machine, and only escape at the last second through one of the magic doors.

Quote Originally Posted by idreamofjeani View Post
    It's ok if mouths don't move IF the directing of the ride is done well.
    1) Speed
    2) Darkness
    3) Distance

Those are the three friends of special effects in movies. In classic Disney dark rides Speed and Darkness are used to great effect to make an entertaining ride where you don't think about the fact that the mouths don't move. But in both Winnie the Pooh and Monsters Inc. where the vehicles move uber slowly past the scenery, it's painfully annoying that the mouths don't move.
    It's almost like the philosophy of Magicians, only let them see what you want them to see, and never for too long.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast