Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• I love my family!

Indy's show building cover

So I can't believe that there isn't some kind up roar over the condition of the cover on the Indy show building.

I've watched that thing get worse and worse and now i'm guessing that the first panel on the south west side fell recently because now it's actually bolted to the side of the building, in true Mickey Mouse style.

This is the first and last thing people see when they arive at the park from the structure, so you would think the park would want that area kept up.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has seen this.

I would post pictures but my camera is down right now.
    So if someone would like to add a picture feel free.

• It's all nonsense

Re: Indy's show building cover

Yeah it's pretty messed up. I can't imagine how much that size of material can cost.

• =)

Yeah, it's never looked great...but then again, I'm more attracted to the far more interesting north side.

Here's the thing. Guests are basically onstage when they see this glimpse of the Indy show building, but they don't spend much time looking over there or thinking about it, and it is fundamentally a backstage area. Like the Mad Hatter pointed out, that would be a LOT of money to replace or repaint it. IMO, it's never looked great (well, it wouldn't if I were a normal person... ) and maybe it doesn't need to. There are other things that need the money a lot more.

• Lackey

I've seen that panel raised and lowered over the last few months, and assumed there was work going on behind a door way right there. the space at the top has been bigger and then smaller day to day. I didn't notice that there were tarps until that huge gap showed up. It seems that paint would be more permanent and look better anyway. It has been bothering me, too - seeing it on the way in and out every visit. It may be backstage from inside the park, but is very onstage from the entrance and DTD - which is why it has any covering at all. It needs to be dealt with and made to look better.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• "I Break Things"

The fact that they are even tarps should raise concerns considering that everything seen from the outside is supposidly considered "onstage". Would it really have been so difficult to make the outside appear as a temple skyline? I mean you see Space and Matterhorn from the outside and they look fine! In the case of Space you see the building structure where it is below view of the guests... which is the point of a stage set... just sayin.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    The fact that they are even tarps should raise concerns considering that everything seen from the outside is supposidly considered "onstage". Would it really have been so difficult to make the outside appear as a temple skyline? I mean you see Space and Matterhorn from the outside and they look fine! In the case of Space you see the building structure where it is below view of the guests... which is the point of a stage set... just sayin.
    But the illusion from inside the park is that the ride is deep underground. If it looked like a temple, the que would be a waste (Oh wait, fast pass already wasted it.)

I actually think it would look better if it were a plain maintenance building look. It wouldn't draw attention.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

"Save the Camoflauge"?**

** see techskip for info on how to launch a successful campaign

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by nhesson View Post
    But the illusion from inside the park is that the ride is deep underground. If it looked like a temple, the que would be a waste (Oh wait, fast pass already wasted it.)

I actually think it would look better if it were a plain maintenance building look. It wouldn't draw attention.
    That portion is underground but if you remember when walking up the bridge you are greeted with a temple entrance. As to the green building, or the tarp... I'd still take tarp over green building.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    "Save the Camoflauge"?**

** see techskip for info on how to launch a successful campaign
    Why do I have the feeling this will be a reoccurring theme?

• Comin' at ya!

Anyone have pics?
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

I noticed this on Thursday as well. I had noticed in the last few visits that it was getting pretty bad (the seams between the individual tarps are starting to come undone), but this was by far the worst. The top of the second panel from the left on the south side was about 2 feet from the top of the building. I have been thinking that they need to start replacing the cover for a couple years now, since it's lost almost all of its color and the painted parts at the top are peeling. The falling part really pulled my attention over there and made me notice how bad the whole thing looks.

On the tram we see the back sides of the Downtown Disney buildings, which are pretty plain but well maintained, and nobody really has any issues with it. If they could do something similar to that for the Indy building, I think it would solve a lot of their problems. The camoflague didn't fool anybody, and just directed more attention to the building. Leaving it as just a plain building (possibly adding some stucco to match DTD) would make it blend in a lot more.

Will all that greenery ever grow in to cover it up?

• "I Break Things"

• =)

I got photos of it today! I'll post them soon. Yeah, it's not looking too great, but it's mostly just this one spot. I'm over it. (And that's coming from a guy who puts high value on cleanliness at Disneyland AND who loves backstage!)

• "I Break Things"

I would say lets call Bansky to fix it but then again we want a work that will compliment the building and be there longer the a day!

• =)

The fact that they are even tarps should raise concerns considering that everything seen from the outside is supposidly considered "onstage". Would it really have been so difficult to make the outside appear as a temple skyline?
    The answer to your question is yes. Actually, considering that you worked Indy, I'm a little surprised you're asking the question, skip. (Unless you haven't told me something. ) The thing is, millions were spent on building Indy. Rerouting the Jungle Cruise, building a queue tunnel that is perfectly hidden while integrating nicely with the backstage areas, constructing a HUGE show building for the attraction itself...I mean, come on. Each of the vehicles themselves cost a million bucks. This was not a cheap attraction by any means. Making the front of the show building look like a convincing temple would have been confusing to guests ("Mommy, what's that ride?"), extraordinarily expensive, and largely unnecessary. IMO, you're not really onstage until you've had your bag checked. Maybe not even until you're through the park gates. Everything till then is just...well, the parking lot and lobby of the theater. And while it's better to keep stuff hidden when possible, I think that this particular case is not a big priority at all. As was noted in another thread on this topic, no one cares about the Indy show building. I doubt more than 1% of the park's guest population thinks about it in the slightest, and most of that 1% doesn't know it's where Indiana Jones takes place.

• =)

And here are the photos. Click for uber-large versions if you want a good look at the green paneling beneath the peeling mural.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast