Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• șoș Tom șoș

Something Fishy in the ROA

Hey gang,

Been ages since I was able to get on here and post, let alone read all the threads. Once again a journey to Disneyland for me is not complete without some strange or funny observation and report.

This Sunday while I was at the park, my friends decided it was high time to try the canoes. As we waited in line along the Rivers of America, my buddy noticed what appeared to be a very large and very dead fish in the river. Well the water is very full of chemicals to my knowledge, so this was surprising.

We boarded the canoes and discovered that tourists simply do not understand the concept that these vehicles are self-propelled. Our guide became so frustrated as a few of us local guys powered the entire ship while these other folks did more to splash us or simply admire the wooden paddle in their hands.

Upon returning, we started looking for the fish and overheard our skipper mention that the fish has been tossed into one of the canoes.

So now here comes the question--- where did the fish come from? It was wayyyy too large to be smuggled in or dropped by a bird. Are there fish in Rivers of America? Are there chemicals in the river?

Also we ate at the Blue Bayoe and just prior to being seating a family was seated by the name Jim Hill. I have no idea what Jim Hill looks like, so I am not sure this is the same Disney aficionado famous for cantankerous threads in this forum, but was curious.

PS- Food and prices at the BB are vastly overrated, the service however, is not overrated!

Random Thoughts:

-Glad the goat is back on BTMRR

-Entered the Tiki Room dry and as soon as the thunder and rain effect hit, it started lightly raining in the park. Coincidence? I don't think so! I amused folks by shielding myself from the rain with the drink umbrella from a Dole Float.

-Maynard spieled the "50 Years of Great Moments with Steve Martin" as fantastic as he is up close, he needs to slow his roll. I could not understand his spiel and it really sounded genuinely fantastic and interesting.

-Rode the Subs for the first time due to light crowds *shrugs*

-Lots of damage to the SM queue again, wow that was fast!

-Donald's Boat in Toontown needs a refurb or needs to be shutdown, its a waste of space.

-Driving straight in Roger Rabbit's ride is harder than spinning the wheel, my arms are still sore.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Re: Something Fishy in the ROA

I believe there may be small fish in RoA to keep away mosquitos... I've seen many small fish in the castle moats. The only chemicals I know are in RoA is aquashade/aquashadow which is just the dye they use to give the water the green tint and block UV rays from hitting the bottom to prevent algae growth.

• DL Nerd

maybe they are AA dead fish? LOL
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

There are fish, including koi and catfish... Walt initially stocked the big river and you used to be able to fish out of it. The waterways are connected... reason I know there are fish is because on Jungle we hit one every so often and have to pick up a "floater". Also when they drain Jungle we usually go out there and try to save as many of them as possible... some of them are pretty big!

As to chemicals I know they dye the water, also you have the pyro fallout from Fantasmic, also mosquito larva killer, occasional diesel spill, various drinks... glowsticks if they leak... but aside from that it is pure industrial water.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

there are many many many fish in that river.

even big ones.

chemicals aren't in that water like you think either...

most fish just die of natural causes in there.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Old timers will remember that you could hire a rod and go fishing in the RoA.

Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

I never knew you could fish out of ROA... when did that option cease to be offered?

How cute - you drag Daddy all the way to Disneyland and he goes fishing anyway.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

After they found dead fish in the trash cans around the park....

lol

WOW I did not know that they still have these large fish in there... I never see them come up or anything, seems with all of the pyro in the water for F! they wouldn't survive... the flames on the water seems as if it will fry them right up...

Lots of damage to the SM queue again, wow that was fast!
    You've got locals to thank for that, some people just don't know how to act.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdShift View Post
    This is really a shame that people tear up a place like that. What's even more of a shame is that it seems to be an American thing since places like Japan don't have any problems with vandalism in theme parks.

You just can't have anything nice anymore. If you work hard and buy yourself a nice car, it'll get keyed or majorly dented before long. I can't stand vandalism because it's such a faceless and destructive way to destroy something and it is just a real chicken**** thing to do.

The trouble is if you catch someone doing it there will just be 100 more to take their place. Vandals are like a hydra beast or something, even after you stop one there's a ton more that take it's place. It's a real problem nowadays and there's really no stopping anyone without a fundamental change in the way our society thinks. I'm all for gray areas and loose interpretations of minor laws, but vandals should receive severe punishment...not for the destruction, but for the cowardly way they do it.

• Closed Account

Stop using Disneyland as your daycare center people!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks View Post
    Hey gang,

Been ages since I was able to get on here and post, let alone read all the threads. Once again a journey to Disneyland for me is not complete without some strange or funny observation and report.

This Sunday while I was at the park, my friends decided it was high time to try the canoes. As we waited in line along the Rivers of America, my buddy noticed what appeared to be a very large and very dead fish in the river. Well the water is very full of chemicals to my knowledge, so this was surprising.

We boarded the canoes and discovered that tourists simply do not understand the concept that these vehicles are self-propelled. Our guide became so frustrated as a few of us local guys powered the entire ship while these other folks did more to splash us or simply admire the wooden paddle in their hands.

Upon returning, we started looking for the fish and overheard our skipper mention that the fish has been tossed into one of the canoes.

So now here comes the question--- where did the fish come from? It was wayyyy too large to be smuggled in or dropped by a bird. Are there fish in Rivers of America? Are there chemicals in the river?

Also we ate at the Blue Bayoe and just prior to being seating a family was seated by the name Jim Hill. I have no idea what Jim Hill looks like, so I am not sure this is the same Disney aficionado famous for cantankerous threads in this forum, but was curious.

PS- Food and prices at the BB are vastly overrated, the service however, is not overrated!

Random Thoughts:

-Glad the goat is back on BTMRR

-Entered the Tiki Room dry and as soon as the thunder and rain effect hit, it started lightly raining in the park. Coincidence? I don't think so! I amused folks by shielding myself from the rain with the drink umbrella from a Dole Float.

-Maynard spieled the "50 Years of Great Moments with Steve Martin" as fantastic as he is up close, he needs to slow his roll. I could not understand his spiel and it really sounded genuinely fantastic and interesting.

-Rode the Subs for the first time due to light crowds *shrugs*

-Lots of damage to the SM queue again, wow that was fast!

-Donald's Boat in Toontown needs a refurb or needs to be shutdown, its a waste of space.

-Driving straight in Roger Rabbit's ride is harder than spinning the wheel, my arms are still sore.

space mountain or splash mountain????

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte
    Stop using Disneyland as your daycare center people!
    Yeah! Isn't that what Magic Mountain is for?
    (Well OK as is probably the case with most of us here, I'm not at all happy with SFMM having taken on that role. But DLR is probaly already too family-oriented an higher-priced to ever degenerate to the extent SFMM did. Let's hope it stays that way.)
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    space mountain or splash mountain????
    Space Mountain. For one example, when I was there last (3-9) there was a big peeled or ripped off spot on the red wall to the left just inside the building where it's plainly visible, almost one sq ft.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    I never knew you could fish out of ROA...

This didn't last long. A couple years. From what I was told by an old time CM, the problem was that people would catch fish and then leave them beside the side of the river with no intention of taking them home. So the whole area smelled like dead fish at the end of the day.

Has there ever been any study that proves that locals are more likely to deface than tourists? I remember that whenever I had teenage cousins visiting from another state, they had learned how to misbehave at their local Six Flags/whatever amusement park, where nobody gave a damn, so they automatically acted the same way at Disneyland. Not that I don't believe that local teens are destructive, I just have a hard time with the concept that all tourists are perfect angels and don't do their proportionate share in defacing the park.

On topic, I've seen herons fishing in the RoA. They'll stand still, then strike down into the water and come up with a fish in their mouth and fly off.

And I've even seen turtles swimming in the RoA.

Is the "invisible jumping fish" mechanism left over from the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland still working? I keep forgetting to look for it.
    Last edited by drb; 03-18-2008 at 07:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast