Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Shablagoo!

What have you done to "Save the Rainforest"?

Hi there,

One thing I have read many times in all the "Save the Rainforest" threads is how people cannot stop Disney from changing It's a Small World. That a few people cannot make a difference. With all the debate on the topic I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can see what people are actualy doing. People are posting it, but it gets lost in the debate. Maybe people can get ideas or get encouragement to write a letter, or whatever.

What this thread is for.

1. Telling people things you have actually done to "Save the Rainforest"
    2. Encouraging others to "Save the Rainforest"

What this thread is not for.
    1. Debating whether or not the rumored changes are good or bad.
    2. Debating whether or not the 'Save the Rainforest Campaign" is good
    or bad.
    3. Debating whether the Pixarification, P.C.-ificaton, Piratification, or Cartoonification of Disneyland is good or bad.
    4. Talking about things you might do or are going to do. Do them, then post.
    5. Saying that the "Save the Rainforest" campaign will not work.
    6. Discouraging people from "Saving the Rainforest".

There are plenty of threads to do those things in.

So to start this off I will repeat what I have done. I have written a letter and mailed it to the Walt Disney Company, Walt Disney Imagineering, and the Disneyland Resort.

In case you are wondering I used the following addresses that were supplied to Micechat by Master Gracey in the Save the Rainforest thread.
    Walt Disney Company
    Attn: Robert Iger
    500 S. Buena Vista St.
    Burbank, CA 91521-9722

Walt Disney Imagineering
    Attn: Tony Baxter
    1401 Flower Street
    P.O. Box 25020
    Glendale, CA 91221-502

Disneyland Resort
    Attn: Ed Grier
    1313 South Harbor Blvd.
    Anaheim , CA 92802

So the question I have for you is, what have you done to "Save the Rainforest"?
    Last edited by Melonballer; 03-19-2008 at 01:44 AM.

• Minion

Great thread

I wrote a letter to the Walt Disney Company, Walt Disney Imagineering, and the Disneyland Resort. I also e-mailed Guest communications. I also E-mailed OC register as well as the long beach press telegram. I called OC and got a Call back monday, unfortunately I wasn't home. The next day I called back but I'm afraid I wont get a response.

I'm not sure what I'll do next. Whats interesting is when GC e-mailed me it was the standard " lets keep it fresh" deal, but at the end it said their were no plans to announce changes. I found it cleaver to state that their are no plans to announce anything. I also think If OC takes the bate, I could use the fact that Mary's son disapproves of the change.

Any how, I'm wondering what others have done. And I encourage others to call OC Register. At least we can tell them housewives who's Disney's boss.

• Yo!

Re: What have you done to "Save the Rainforest"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHZDcgCao8

That may change your opinion on this whole "save" campaign.....it's a brief segment on HKDL's Small World (near the middle of the video).
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• "I Break Things"

Against my better judgment I encouraged others to reach out to the media and not just Disney. My motivations were simple, get the petitions off MiceChat and out where they might do some good because I was tired of reading sign-up sheets. I say against because my heart is not in this fight. I would encourage someone to devote a webpage with a generic letter that can be copied/pasted... and provide email links to local SoCal Tv News, Newspapers, and Disney. It is much easier to "flood" when you do not need to type anything. I would also encourage posting in general, and posting a link to said support page on other internet sites.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Directly directed

I wrote a civil letter and and an email. I got a nice response from the email.

"We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us
    regarding as of yet unannounced changes to it's a small world. Please be
    assured we take your comments very seriously. Your remarks have been
    forwarded to the necessary leadership team so they are aware of your
    feedback.

We appreciate your valuable feedback for our operation. We would like to
    assure you that our goals for providing a happy and unique experience in
    our theme parks have remained constant throughout the years. One of the
    ways in which we attempt to maintain this goal is to continually
    evaluate the various aspects of our operation and make changes at times.
    We rely on input from our Guests to help us determine when these changes
    should remain in effect or when we should implement something different.

Walt Disney once stated, "Disneyland will never be completed as long as
    there is imagination left in the world." In that spirit, we will
    continue to make additions and changes to the Magic Kingdom, all with
    the goal in mind to keep the Disney experience new, fresh and exciting.
    As diverse as the millions of visitors are who come to the DISNEYLAND®
    Resort each year, so are the reactions and opinions that we learn about.
    While we realize that it is impossible to please everyone at all times
    with the decisions that are made, it is always our goal to provide a
    quality "show" for our Guests.

Again, thank you for contacting us. We hope you will have the
    opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and that our
    attractions and entertainment will delight you in every way.

Sincerely,

Marion Newmar
    DISNEYLAND® Resort
    Guest Communications "

I didn't think about emailing the OC Register, I'll do that tomorrow.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Sent a 'long' email.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I would encourage someone to devote a webpage with a generic letter that can be copied/pasted... and provide email links to local SoCal Tv News, Newspapers, and Disney. It is much easier to "flood" when you do not need to type anything. I would also encourage posting in general, and posting a link to said support page on other internet sites.
    SERIOUSLY! If Small world should be saved then these are strategies that should be implemented.Techskip, I know your heart is not in this but I feel kind of guilty about taking advantage of all your advise. Thank you for contributing even if your not down with it, in the end it seems to be about Disney in general rather than Small world getting smaller.

• Minion

Dear Mr. Iger
    I thought you should know my stance on two things I have heard of about Its A Small World. First the issue of the addition of Disney characters in the ride. I find it disgusting. I quote “Cute as they may be, Belle, Mickey, Stitch or Nemo have nothing to do with selling the core values of UNICEF, the show’s original partner. Their appearance not only trivializes the central theme but more disturbingly seems to emphasize global brand marketing and franchising above all else.”
    from http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/. I completley agree with that quote. I find the insertion exploiting and demeaning.
    The second issue is the removal of the rainforest. The removal of the piece created by Mary Blair herself is like sharpeeing a mole on the Mona Lisa. Its destruction of someones art so that you can “mix things up”. The rainforest scene is honestly my favorite scene. The alligator with the umbrella, CLASSIC. There is no reason to mess with this attraction. The original attractions under Walts time are diminishing.
    Disneyland is different than the rest of the parks and should be treated as such. Its not a protoype. Its the ORIGINAL and should be treated as such. Yes its a money maker but people come because its the original and they except actual reminits from the original park.

its not very great but if someone wants to use it go ahead! you can change whatever you would like. Keep emailing to disneyland.com!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHZDcgCao8

That may change your opinion on this whole "save" campaign.....it's a brief segment on HKDL's Small World (near the middle of the video).
    Thanks for the link. The dolls look pretty nice. Still, I'd rather they stay unique to Hong Kong. Also remember this thread is not for debating the merits or downfalls of the rumored changes. There are other threads for that.

Everyone who has done something, I appreciate it and thanks for posting.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Wouldn't your energy be better used in trying to save the REAL rainforests?

• Minion

OK I have a question. It may be lame but here it goes. Since this has made the LA times should we continue? I would think that since LA times has shed a considerable amount of spotlight on this that Disney would take notice. I also wonder if it's enough for other news papers to take notice and and follow the story.

well I know I'm working on a video to post on youtube. What are some other ways we can spread the word? whats next?

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    Wouldn't your energy be better used in trying to save the REAL rainforests?
    It took me less than an hour to write my letters and mail them. I think it was a fair use of my time.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    OK I have a question. It may be lame but here it goes. Since this has made the LA times should we continue? I would think that since LA times has shed a considerable amount of spotlight on this that Disney would take notice. I also wonder if it's enough for other news papers to take notice and and follow the story.

well I know I'm working on a video to post on youtube. What are some other ways we can spread the word? whats next?
    I say keep sending the letters, especially the snail mail ones. The more people that mail them, the more likely they are to consider what the letters say.

• Minion

ok. I agree that Snail mail is best in many ways. Two that I'll mention are that they are harder to ignore and they are more formal.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    ok. I agree that Snail mail is best in many ways. Two that I'll mention are that they are harder to ignore and they are more formal.
    Right. Since it is more time consuming than calling them or signing an online petition it does get more attention. The campaign to get Disney to include the Japanese language track on Princess Mononoke was a snail mail campaign. It was very effective. What I hope will happen is that as the papers and news pick up the story people will contact Disney with their opinion, whether it be pro- or anti- rainforest. If people care to take the time to write to Disney about the attraction, Disney will hopefully take more time to consider what is said and what it is doing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast