• I love Disney

Indiana Jones ride question

Woot Wott my disneyland trip is in two days. My son has a fear or phobia i do not know what to call about loud noises and explosions. Should he go on the ride. He likes fireworks but that is his max sound limit. Is there any other rides we should avoid. Also my daughter doesn't like big drops. So what rides should we avoid. Thank you.
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
    or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
    Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Indiana Jones ride question

I'd say that Indiana Jones might be out--what you can do, however, is go to youtube or some threads here and find on-ride videos with your tyke. Have him watch the videos from the comfort of his home and then ask him if he could handle it.

Many of the rides will allow you to 'switch-off,' aka, the baby-swap. You can ride while the youngster hangs behind with another adult and then when you return, they can ride while you hold up with the kid or kids.

Drops? You might want to define that. Rollercoasters are located throughout the park. Space Mountain, however, tends to have more helixes then drops, but there are one or two. Big Thunder and Splash have many more.

Try the onride video option, see if that helps.

And as for drops--Tower of Terror will probably be off your list.

Remember, too, Disney is designed to find something you can do with your family. By missing these rides for whatever reason, you are not missing out on the 'Disney experience.' You have many other rides to choose from without explosions or drops.

Peace out and have fun!

Roo

PS: Let us know what happens after your trip for other parents on the boards who might have similar questions!
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• It's all nonsense

Fireworks are pretty loud. You could always bring some earplugs or something to dampen the noise on attractions.

in Disneyland Park:
    As for drops, if you mean long or steep drops, there aren't any at all other than the big one on Splash Mountain, and two short but steep-ish ones inside Splash Mountain.
    - The two in Pirates are about half as steep as your average staircase.
    - Space Mountain and Matterhorn Bobsleds each have just a couple short ones that are more dips than drops; not even close to steep. (Ride Matterhorn first; no surprises in the dark parts. If that's cool, Space will be cool but do know it's too dark to really see where you're going.)
    - Thunder Mountain, what you see from outside is what you get; no hidden surprises inside. There's very little height in that ride to begin with.

For your son:
    - Fantasmic! will very likely be frightening; it get intense at times with pyrotechnics, noises and flashes. It might be possible to watch it from further back though (anyone have any ideas here?).
    - "Honey, I Shrunk The Audience" gets intense at times, even though it's primarily a movie attraction.
    - Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters is pretty rowdy but there aren't any sudden events that I recall.
    - You'll get roared at several times inside Matterhorn, including in the dark a couple times.

• Banned User

A site calle Visions Fantastic has videos of every ride at Disneyland. Unfortunately, they are spoilers, but if your son is really sensitive, it might be best to have him look at videos of the more intense attractions mentioned by the other posters, to get him prepared.
    As for the Fantasyland rides, the only one that is somewhat noisy and intense if Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Again, he could see the video.

• =)

I gotta say, most people are afraid to be around explosions louder than fireworks, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. Indy can be pretty loud, but the YouTube option sounds like a good idea. And regarding your daughter on Space Mountain...well, there are perhaps two or three drops, but they're not big at all. You just can't see them coming.

Have a great trip!

• I love Disney

UPDATE : My daughter said she would love to go on matterhorn so what other rides should we do. And what part are loud like i tried blasting the volume while i watched indinana on youtube ( great advice) but i couldn't pick out the loud parts. But he likes loud music. My problem is the explosions with him. gWhere are they and if u rate them on a scale of one to ten. one would be a brown bag with area being crushed. five would be like a firework and ten would be like a gun shot. Can u please rate it on that scale. Thank you.
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
    or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
    Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

• :)

Indy is definitely not out, it is loud but it isn't too bad. The loudest thing in indy is the crashing of the rolling ball and the ride vehicle itself, honestly if it's his first time their adrenaline will be rushing and will most likely distract from the ball crashing...but that is the last part of the ride and the loudest.

If they can do the dip on Matterhorn, than everything else won't be an issue with the exception of splash!

And the only thing which you can really consider a drop is Splash, everything else is just like small dips.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by HighLeveller View Post
    - "Honey, I Shrunk The Audience" gets intense at times, even though it's primarily a movie attraction.
    I think this is the first time I have ever heard someone refer to HISTA as intense!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Disney is designed to find something you can do with your family. By missing these rides for whatever reason, you are not missing out on the 'Disney experience.' You have many other rides to choose from without explosions or drops.
    This was Walt's original intension for the park, but over the years of adding more thrill rides that require height restrictions it has created the very dilemma that Walt was trying to avoid. Figuring out which rides the whole family can ride together.

How old is your son?

• Banned User

indiana jones may freak him at the end with the boulder scene* (spoilers ahead!)

Spoiler
    as a night custodial cm, i've cleaned it with the lights on. the boulder scene is mounted on a massive track with a boulder pushed at you via a motor from behind. the "tunnel" slides on tracks towards your car as you approach, same with the boulder. without all the audio on, it actually makes a audible rushing sound due to it's wheels (the rocky tunnel part) as it is pushed to you, the car "dips" below a tunnel so the rock/boulder is actually above you. lets see if I can draw this... (not to scale, the top line is the boulder/tunnel, the bottom is the "drop" and the <----> is your car picture the gap in the middle as the drop to give you a idea.

_____________ <---->

the spider scene and maybe the spear throwing sounds in the head hunter scene might cause problems with him, not sure. good luck with him!

Nemo may or may not be one that could scare him?

Spoiler
    Piranhas attack the sub at the end, jumping out at the viewing ports, the sub shakes a little and bubbles froth around it like mad

took me a while to figure out why the submarines always smell like someone pissed in them, until I saw the end scene and realized why it smelled like pee kinda difficult to get rid of the smell, especially in summer, but at least disney custodial isn't responsible for changing the wet underoos and shorts