• Clear for Dispatch

Tomorrowland 2055

Can someone explain to me what tomorrowland 2055 was supposed to be. In what year was is proposed, what was it to include, and why was it never implemented?

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Tomorrowland 2055

I remember this. It's what the new T-land was suppose to be before they turned it into the Southwest Airlines brown land that it is today (or was until they started painting it bluer). I think it was to have included Alien Encounter and Plectus Intergalactic Revue (some dinner show) but aside from that not sure what else. I recall seeing jackets worn by Imagineers back in the VERY early 90's (like maybe 1990) and thinking how exciting this is going to be. Then BAM they did what they did and there went Tomorrowland 2055

• FastPass n00b

Ah yes, Tomorrowland 2055. It helps to put the 1994 Disney theme park landscape into perspective to understand this land. Back in the early 90's, there was a proposal to completely redo Tomorrowland, rip out everything and give it a "aliens have landed" backstory with all-new buildings. But after EuroDisney flopped thanks to Eisner's hotel overload, Eisner got cold feet in the theme park aspect of the company and withdrew major funding. The Tomorrowland 2055 concept in 1994 got thrown out and, as Olympicnut stated, Alien Encounter was originally slated to go into Tomorrowland 2055. So instead of rebuilding Tomorrowland, Alien Encounter got thrown into WDW's Mission To Mars (the same attraction Disneyland would've upgraded to AE) and a MUCH more toned down concept (Tomorrowland '98) got drawn up.

Personally, I feel it was a very fortunate event that Tomorrowland 2055 never got off the ground. It was Tony Baxter's pet project and to rip out everything that made Tomorrowland unique and replace it with generic alien crap would've been a BIG mistake. There's no doubt it would've been spectacular in 1994, but I think that today it would be showing its age and need another update. With Tomorrowland '98, there was little to no structural change so it offered CM Matt the opportunity to restore Tomorrowland to Walt's original vision. It's amazing today to think that Tomorrowland could be ripped out, but back in the early 90's Disney was on top of their game in every single division and there was a general optimism. Disney could literally do no wrong back then so ripping out Tomorrowland seemed perfectly acceptable.

Much like Western River Expedition, it's an epic concept that 99% of the population will forever be oblivious of...or just how close they both came to reality.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Would anybody know where one could view some concept art for TL2055?

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Personally, I feel it was a very fortunate event that Tomorrowland 2055 never got off the ground. It was Tony Baxter's pet project and to rip out everything that made Tomorrowland unique and replace it with generic alien crap would've been a BIG mistake. There's no doubt it would've been spectacular in 1994, but I think that today it would be showing its age and need another update.
    I agree for the most part, but some alien theming could be lots of fun! I think if we stuck to Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica (although the new series is pretty fun), and (most importantly) Alf.

Yes, I am insane.

TL2055 would NOT have ripped out everything. Space Mountain would still be there, Peoplemover would still be there, Rocket Jets would still be there. In fact, a whole second level would have been added to Tomorrowland through a series of bridges and catwalks. The paint scheme would have been cooler also, much like the current interior of Space Mountain.

TL would have added Alien Encounter in the old Mission to Mars building, and Plectu's Intergalactic Revue in the old CoP/America Sings building (which would have been re-themed to look more like the spaceship from Close Encounters of the Third Kind). I also believe the circlevision theater would have become a flying saucers ride.

I had found some concept art, and if I can find it again I'll post it.

• Sock Puppet

I would really like to see Stitch somewhere in Tomorrowland. I heard Stitch's Great Escape at WDW isn't so great so I wouldn't want him in that fashion.

San Soo Justin

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak
    I agree for the most part, but some alien theming could be lots of fun! I think if we stuck to Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica (although the new series is pretty fun), and (most importantly) Alf.

Yes, I am insane.
    OMG, I love Alf! I just got the 1st season on DVD and he is just as funny as he was back in the 80's. Anyway, I guess I shouldn't have made a blanket statement saying that the theme was going to be crappy because if they did it right, it really could've been a good theme.

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!

alf ate my cat
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!