Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Resident Ghost

Re: The last 11 yrs of Walt's life vs the last 42 yrs since then...

So, are you telling me that Walt had no failures, because he did...

• Roller Coaster Aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Bacon View Post
    So, are you telling me that Walt had no failures, because he did...
    Of course he had failures. Everyone has failures. The difference is Walt took something from each of his failures and created something new that worked.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

I think that the original Disneyland of say 1968 and not much later was like being inside a physical manifestion of the inside of Walt Disney's mind, he allowed us to live in his world the world he lived in inside his mind and imagination.

This is probably the one reason why it is so hard for those that followed to match its greatness.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    Ś Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." ŚWalt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." ŚWalt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." ŚWalt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." ŚWalt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." ŚWalt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense Ś has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." ŚWalt Disney

• Progressive Disneylander

It's a shame that Walt hadn't created time machine before he passed so that certain folks could zap themselves back to a time when DL met their standards.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    I think more people have died in the last 10 years than the previous 40 years combined.
    people have died before those 10 years... a lot more has come into the light these days that before wouldn't be in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Thats one of my points Walt never concerned himself about the money, that may sound crazy to people nowadays but it worked for him and it worked very very well. He knew if you only cared about the money you would never get any dreams brought to reality
    It's not specifically the money. Building something in 1955 was a snap. Building that same structure now requires countless city and state safety regs and codes to be met. The materials cost a great deal more, the labor costs a great deal more, and as I mentioned the codes... not even counting R&D (meaning research and design not development)... you can't build something on that scale IN AMERICA in a year. Look at "Extreme Home Makeover" and what they have to do just to get a house... one house... up and also up to code within 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    The difference between Walt and the current company is that Walt truly loved Disneyland. It was his every dream, hope, and desire realized. There was little he wouldn't do for it. In a way, Disneyland for Walt was a very selfish and very self-less effort all at the same time. The current company cares about money, making money. It's a corporation. The personal investment Walt had in Disneyland could never be matched, even by one of the largest companies in the world. It's a shame, but it's a fact.
    While Walt dreamed, Roy kept the books straight. Had it not been for Roy, Disney inc could very easily have been bankrupted!

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    It's a shame that Walt hadn't created time machine before he passed so that certain folks could zap themselves back to a time when DL met their standards.
    Thank you.. couldn't have said it better myself.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post

While Walt dreamed, Roy kept the books straight. Had it not been for Roy, Disney Inc. could very easily have been bankrupted!
    He was one excellent bookkeeper. That's all I have to say.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    He was one excellent bookkeeper. That's all I have to say.
    There was a really good explanation of this when Tiki was designed and built. Walt had his heart set on it being a restaurant. Roy took one look at the show, told his brother he outdid himself, and then laughed. He told him that he did such a good job they wouldn't have an empty table... everyone would eat but no one would ever leave. They'd already bought the chairs so those ended up being arranged and it went from dinner show to just show.
    Last edited by techskip; 03-20-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    There was a really good explanation of this when Tiki was designed and built. Walt had his heart set on it being a restaurant. Roy took one look at the show, told his brother he outdid himself, and then laughed. He told him that he did such a good job they wouldn't have an empty table... everyone would eat but no one would ever leave. They'd already bought the chairs so those ended up being arranged and it went from dinner show to just show.
    Before I knew of the original plans for Tiki, I always said, "Gee... This would make one great restaurant-show." Roy was very right though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12