Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An idea for the backlot

My post from the current Monster's Inc. thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    Perhaps Disney could create a subtheme for the backlot...maybe haunted hollywood?
    It could then become a supertheme and reference itself in subtle atmospheric cues.
    (Maybe at night even incorperate a "ghost tour" of somekind?) This might work well with the new placemaking.
    Here is my view of HPB with this sub-theme:
    Abstract:
    Hollywood Pictures Backlot will serve to educate guests on the animation and entertainment processes that made Hollywood tick in the early 1900’s while also presenting an air of intrigue, mystery and even supernatural goings on that Hollywood is known for. This will be achieved through atmospheric characters, attractions, and overall theme. Much emphasis will be placed on the enigma of the Hollywood Tower Hotel and the Monster’s Inc. darkride. Here is my full visual explanation.

Entrance
    The current plans and already existing structure of the entrance will remain unchanged.
    Walt Disney Plaza and the red cars will serve as a segway into HPB, creating a much more intricate experience for the guests.
    Attractions
    The red cars will serve not only as transportation; but also as a way to establish what HPB is, its educational attractions and the legends behind its mystery. The cars will end their “tour” in front of the hotel, enabling guests to research the mystery all on their own.
    ToT will remain mainly unchanged; perhaps its year will be changed to the 20’s. This way it will coincide with Walt’s Hollywood.
    Monster’s Inc. will get a face lift in order to resemble a new power plant used to fuel Hollywood’s needs. The queue will be designed as a functioning power plant providing information on efficient ways to produce energy in California. The queue will then go through an employee break room where we see references (i.e. news clippings, employees talking) to the ToT, the “problem” of the plant (The Monsters), the disappearance of an employee’s young daughter (Boo) and other HPB news. We then go on to take a vehicular tour of the plant (the actual ride) when we end up going through a door and are transported into the monster’s world. Now the ride commences as it would normally, we realize the monsters aren’t all that bad and Roz makes sure we make it back to our world.
    Muppets can largely stay the same with more emphasis on show production.
    The Animation Building can stay the same with some emphasis on animated process.
    The Hyperion should have a new show showcasing Hollywood legends (acting legends this time).

Does anyone think this potential subtheme for the backlot is viable? Could it even become a "supertheme" all in its own? Is it even a good idea? Would this tie into the new placemaking efforts at all?

So many questions! :P

What are your opinions on the matter? Does anyone have any ideas of how it could be implemented?
    Last edited by Bubbadunne; 03-21-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added ideas

• =)

Re: An idea for the backlot

Interesting idea! Meditate on this I will. ::Yoda laugh::

• Knight that says Nee!!

I think the idea is interesting for sure, but IMO they need to get the MAIN theme under control or solidified before they can get into "sub-themes."

Hollywood section will be going through major changes soon and so who knows what they'll (we'll) end up with.

Perhaps the Haunted Hollywood idea you developed could become a "holiday overlay" for the October/Halloween season?

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I think the idea is interesting for sure, but IMO they need to get the MAIN theme under control or solidified before they can get into "sub-themes."

Hollywood section will be going through major changes soon and so who knows what they'll (we'll) end up with.

Perhaps the Haunted Hollywood idea you developed could become a "holiday overlay" for the October/Halloween season?

This could definately work as a holiday overlay. However, I was also considering Hollywood's current "haunted" history as a jumping off point. There are many historical and infamous landmarks/happenings that can be incorperated into the overall theme.

• Dragons rock my socks.

A holiday overlay seems like the best idea.

The Hollywood Backlot isn't very large as it is, and attempting to incorporate a sub-theme would only tighten the already crowded space...
    Welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.

If you ever see a skinny eight year-old looking kid sprinting through Adventureland, yell "Hi!" at me!
    Btw, I'm really not eight.

So I'm sitting at my computer thinking, hey, I need a creative signature so that people on micechat will remember me. And then it hits me: I'll just type it up!
    I sure am creative.

Quote Originally Posted by dragnman777 View Post
    A holiday overlay seems like the best idea.

The Hollywood Backlot isn't very large as it is, and attempting to incorporate a sub-theme would only tighten the already crowded space...
    In no way would I want a sub-theme to be overbearing. Moreso I'd like it to be more of a mystique. Something that everyone is aware of but is not too in your face. Something akin to the old super-theme of New Orleans Square.

The in your face stuff could be saved for the holiday's.

So does anyone have any ideas? How could this effectivly be done?

I'm at work right now so I can't really type out my ideas. I'll get back to it though.
    Last edited by Bubbadunne; 03-21-2008 at 11:19 AM.

• Imaginative Possibilities

Haunted Hollywood, could be something viable during the newly successfull fall season, but as for park regularity, not so much. The new DCA and new hollywood for that matter is to focus on the Hollywood that Walt had seen in his 20's, and a haunting theme wouldn't fit to well for that point of view. Although i am for something like this for the Fall Season!
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE View Post
    Haunted Hollywood, could be something viable during the newly successfull fall season, but as for park regularity, not so much. The new DCA and new hollywood for that matter is to focus on the Hollywood that Walt had seen in his 20's, and a haunting theme wouldn't fit to well for that point of view. Although i am for something like this for the Fall Season!
    Yes, because Muppets, Monsters, and a 1930's Haunted Hotel fit into Walt's Hollywood.

Once again, I'm not looking for a revamp of the land...just subtle clues that hint at this underlying theme to make the current existing attractions more cohesive.

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE View Post

P.S.

Checked up on Al's article...there are no current confirmed plans to revamp HPB with the exception of the Red Cars (which are rumored to lead all the way up to ToT) and the now extinct possibility of Phillharmagic. Therefore, the nuances of this subtheme would not be contradicting the new "Walt Theme".

Added some ideas to the OP.

I will add more ideas for the attractions and atmosphere later.

Please feel free to criticize, add to, or denounce anything about the ideas.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    P.S.

Checked up on Al's article...there are no current confirmed plans to revamp HPB with the exception of the Red Cars (which are rumored to lead all the way up to ToT) and the now extinct possibility of Phillharmagic. Therefore, the nuances of this subtheme would not be contradicting the new "Walt Theme".
    Just because Al hasn't reported it, doesn't mean it it isn't in the works. Other sources in the media have stated the entire park, HBL included will be getting a make over eventually during this billions of dollars being put into DCA.

In any case I wouldn't see the sub-theme being any more of a nusance to the main Walt theme any more than Muppetts and Monsters would.

Sounds interesting but a major over haul of monsters might not happen as it was just down for several months.But you never know i guess.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Best way to do it is to drop the "backlot" concept completely. Disney enthusiasts like going to a far away land from our past or into the future; to see great looking architecture; dine in themed restaurants. Doing something from present day Hollywood just isn't fantastic enough in my opinion.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• keh!

i think that for whatever 3D show they have, they should get rid of that huge line which never fills up. expands those facades into stores, something that will give HPB some momentum and activity. and they desperately need something to the right of monster's, inc. that area is just sad. and that stage opposite of monster's inc. is mostly just a rest area. either fill it w/ good shows or expand into more theming, buildings that contain something. maybe a sit down restaurant... or recreate the brown derby restaurant in the old millionaire building. surround the guests w/ activity, too many dead spots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast