Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Toy Story Midway Mania!!!! The Sign is up!!!!

I honestly do not know what the big deal with the name is and why so many people are fussing over it. Toy Story Midway Mania, Midway Mania, Toy Story Mania... they all work and work well! Tomato, tomahto!

Anyways, the sign looks great! I can't wait to see the rest of Paradise Pier completed with this new theming!

I'm sure they will do soft openings I just hope they are well organized. Anyone here participate in the AP preview of Tower of Terror? It was very well done. You had to pre-register and check in before you were basically given an appointment fast pass. Practically no wait time and it prevented people from riding over and over. I didn't soft open or preview Nemo, but the Tower one was pleasant.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    As I understand it...

The ride's OFFICIAL name is "Toy Story Mania!", and will be used on all Marketing, Advertising, Park Maps, etc. (Which is what the "Disney Parks" senior staff wants).

But then when you walk up to the attraction, the signage on the Ride will say "Midway Mania", which is what much of TDA and some in WDI wanted, supposedly including John Lassiter. (DCA version only, the WDW version will say "Toy Story Mania!")

Interesting compromise....
    Interesting indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I honestly do not know what the big deal with the name is and why so many people are fussing over it. Toy Story Midway Mania, Midway Mania, Toy Story Mania... they all work and work well! Tomato, tomahto!
    It has to do with the history of the attraction. Midway Mania was designed for Disney's California Adventure, but the midway concept doesn't exactly make sense inside a "working" movie studio. It's the fighting between individuality in the parks and synergy.

• Dragons rock my socks.

BAM!

Well I'm glad that the name has finally been settled on...

But I can just hear the tourists fruitlessly complaining that they want to ride the Toy Story ride, not some dumb midway ride...
    Welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.

If you ever see a skinny eight year-old looking kid sprinting through Adventureland, yell "Hi!" at me!
    Btw, I'm really not eight.

So I'm sitting at my computer thinking, hey, I need a creative signature so that people on micechat will remember me. And then it hits me: I'll just type it up!
    I sure am creative.

• a wind to shake the stars

looks really nice

• Minion

you have to view the midway part of the name for us, people who appreciate it. For people who dont or dont care then thats there problem

• Space Fanatic

As others have already mentioned, I'm so happy the ride (or at least the marquee) has retained "Midway" in its name. I do have one bone to pick, though. Does anybody else find it very odd and ill-fitting to have Buzz's picture alongside Woody's? Not only is he already the feature of BLAB, which is a similar attraction, but here we have this beautifully themed boardwalk structure reminiscent of eras past and then there is a spaceman at the entrace...what? At least Woody evokes "past" a bit more...maybe a less evocative character like Ham, Mr. Potato Head, even Jessie. Obviously Buzz is the most popular character alongside Woody, and that's mostly what seems to drive decisions around the DLR these days...I'm just saying.

• a wind to shake the stars

It's a Midway game themed to Toy Story, why is Buzz being there weird? Midway games usually have themes, like knights or vikings or something similar. This one is themed to Toy Story so Buzz being on the marquee makes sense, to me at least.

• The Fantasyland guy

I also do not have a problem with Buzz on the signage as long as they keep it in theme, which is what they have done.

• Space Fanatic

Hm, I can see what you're saying. I don't know, Buzz just sort of stuck out to me.

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

I think that both Woody and Buzz are very much in theme. They are using very appropriate 2D renderings of the characters.

Plus, a "spaceman" would not be out of place in the 1920s either. They had space science fiction back then an I am sure I have seen old "boardwalk" style pictures of items with a space theme to them.

I think it is perfect theming.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Hurray for the sign!!! Just another indication that we're inching closer towards the summer and having it open. Thanks for sharing the pics! Woot woot!

Quote Originally Posted by Space Mountain Man View Post
    Hm, I can see what you're saying. I don't know, Buzz just sort of stuck out to me.
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere, maybe the New York Times article, that there was some debate on whether or not to put Buzz in the ride, do to his presence in Tomorrowland's Astro Blasters. Imagineering eventually decided to include him though, to maintain the continuity of having all the Toy Story cast represented. This seeming double-dipping of the character could be why you find his presence awkward.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    It's a Midway game themed to Toy Story, why is Buzz being there weird? Midway games usually have themes, like knights or vikings or something similar. This one is themed to Toy Story so Buzz being on the marquee makes sense, to me at least.
    Because Buzz Lightyear is a modern space toy. He's not appropriate to the time period they are trying to describe with the architecture and theme of the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bytemaster View Post
    I think that both Woody and Buzz are very much in theme. They are using very appropriate 2D renderings of the characters.

Plus, a "spaceman" would not be out of place in the 1920s either. They had space science fiction back then an I am sure I have seen old "boardwalk" style pictures of items with a space theme to them.

I think it is perfect theming.
    While there might have been science fiction that took place on other worlds or in space, the tone of it was different. They would not have had a "space ranger" with a rocket pack on his back and a laser in the 1920s. That is a much later invention. He doesn't fit the time period.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Because Buzz Lightyear is a modern space toy. He's not appropriate to the time period they are trying to describe with the architecture and theme of the ride.

While there might have been science fiction that took place on other worlds or in space, the tone of it was different. They would not have had a "space ranger" with a rocket pack on his back and a laser in the 1920s. That is a much later invention. He doesn't fit the time period.
    I agree, Buzz doesn't look like a good fit on the sign - way too later 20th century. Now, with the remaining midway games being done with Goofy,
    and Mickey's other friends, I wonder if they are going with older designs of
    those characters, because the more modern versions of those character would throw off the theme.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast