Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

The Best Disneyland Attraction Renovation Ever?

What would you say is the Disneyland attraction that got the best renovation?

I would have to say "The Enchanted Tiki Room". The new sign , the torches, the digitally restored music, It was really well renovated.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Social Imagineer

Re: The Best Disneyland Attraction Renovation Ever?

it's a small world - beyond all doubt.

The Tiki room was simply in horrible disrepair. Everything was spruced up, but the show was NOT returned to it's original glory: the Offenbach number is still Off and not Back.

it's a small world, on the other hand - if you will recall - went through a horrible decade of pastel ugliness and soundtrack ruination. Though Walt Disney and Mary Blair decided white (with blue and gold accents) was to be the color of the facade, morons with less combined talent and taste than Blair's middle toe and Disney's left-side of mustache decided that pastel pinks would make a better impression.

And rather than go to the effort of restoring the deteriorating soundtrack from the 60's, they nabbed the first available substitute with only a concern for fidelity sound quality - and we got stuck with the inane, repetitive, cloying, insulting Paris version that finally made it's a small world live up to its trumped-up reputation as the most annoying song ever written.

Well, a few years ago - a miracle happened. Mistakes were acknowledged as mistakes. The facade was repainted in glorious white. And thanks to the work done for a never-to-appear Disney at the New York World's Fair CD, the original it's a small world soundtrack was restored in digital stereo glory! Though the song repeats again and again, this soundtrack is chock full of variety and nuance and change - as every classic musical style from around the world is applied to the delightful Sherman Brothers tune.

This was no mere fix-up. It was a retoration of what had been appallingly ruined. And this grand a reversal has never graced another Disneyland attraction. Not even King Arthur Caroussel rebuilt from the ground up approaches this level of restorative greatness.
    Last edited by innerSpaceman; 08-10-2005 at 04:33 PM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The additions to the Haunted Mansion were absolutely fantastic. Madame Leota is incredibly well done, the changing portraits are great, and the fixed speed ramp is always good.

Still, innerSpaceman won me over with the "it's a small world" refurb info. i still don't really like the ride, and will probably avoid it like I always do next time I go to Disneyland, but he sold me on the fact that it is the best refurb. The pastel paint scheme was just bad bad news.

Anyways, the Tiki Room and the Jungle Cruise were nicely fixed up as well. The Tiki Room is really just beyond gorgeous and I can't believe how horrible it had been before- there really were just no feathers anywhere and talk about broken AAs!
    And the Jungle Cruise is great. The new animals, the pirannah, and the new Trader Sam... All great stuff. It's better than ever.. I just wish we could have gotten the plane crash scene that appears right before the hippo pool from Walt Disney World simply because the joke that accompanies it is great ("uh oh- plane crash. that could only mean one thing: hippos")

I think all the refurbs are great in their own respect. I just can't wait for when Pirates goes down and gets more than just bigger cannon ball splashes! And I wish Indy would go down and get more stuff instead of just a new snake. I'd like to see more fire in bubbling death/bridge scene. The amount of fire in the new fireworks kind of takes away what the ride actually has to offer haha.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• My Children's Father

I know this may be viewed as slightly off topic, since the ride in question is in DCA, but I predict the Californian Screamin' Refurb will become the best ever. I say this because even though it will share a two-year rebuild like its roller-coaster cousin Space Mountain, unlike Space mountain, it will emerge with a LIM launch AND a LOOP!!!
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• FastPass n00b

Well, I was going to say Great Moments with Mr Lincoln but innerSpaceman did an exceptional job of conveying his point. I believe he is right, that Small World's renovation was the best ever, but Great Moments with Mr Lincoln had a major update recently too. The 3D sound of the headphones is so convincing, I honestly thought there was a real live CM actor behind me! I love how there's a story behind the attraction now too, it's something like you're a soldier during the War and you have to attended Lincoln's speech so you get your hair cut and get ready for the big event. The 3D sound alone makes me want to visit this attraction every time I go.

Remember Disney, your sign said that Mr. Lincoln will return...

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    the Offenbach number is still Off and not Back.

I think I would agree with the IASW renovation. The attraction went through a lot, but is finally back to the original. The pastels were.....ah....interesting...... but didn't do much for the attraction. I can remember when it originally opened, and then all the changes. Now, with the color change removed and the sound system restored.... it is back to its original glory once again.

I will however miss in the future, that clever 50 on the front...
    Always remember the Disney Magic!

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

OT, but how cool would it be to use the new projectors for the fireworks to change different sections of the IASW facade different colors at night?

Or in the all-white finale of the ride, have all the sets in the room gradually change to bright colors?

Um Does Space Mountain not count??? Unquestionably the best rebuild/ rennovation ever done in any Disney Park!! The cost behind the project, not to mention the down time make it hands down the winner (IMHO)

• Minion

Best Disneyland rennovations:

The New Fantasyland 1984
    Tomorrowland 1967
    Mine Train to Nature's Wonderland 1960
    Jungle Cruise 1962
    Matterhorn 1978
    It's a Small World 2004
    The Enchanted Tiki Room 2005
    Autopia 2000
    Casa DeFritos/Rancho del Zocalo 2000
    Space Mountain 2005

• Curiouser and Curiouser

the walt disney story and mr.lincoln was done very well. Also was Autopia they really took a dated attraction and freshened it up for a new generation.

• Traveler to the south

I think the upcoming PeopleMover restoration will be the best!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

• out & about

IASW might have won the best "restoration' but id say Fantasyland has gotten the best "renovation". (can we count a land as an attraction for this thread?) Think about the before and after than let me know...
    photo courtesy of yesterland.com
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• out & about

the only thing missing from the new fantasyland is skull rock. howd they mess that up?
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Well, I was going to say Great Moments with Mr Lincoln but innerSpaceman did an exceptional job of conveying his point. I believe he is right, that Small World's renovation was the best ever, but Great Moments with Mr Lincoln had a major update recently too. The 3D sound of the headphones is so convincing, I honestly thought there was a real live CM actor behind me! I love how there's a story behind the attraction now too, it's something like you're a soldier during the War and you have to attended Lincoln's speech so you get your hair cut and get ready for the big event. The 3D sound alone makes me want to visit this attraction every time I go.

Remember Disney, your sign said that Mr. Lincoln will return...
    I'm with you on this one.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Rocket Rods!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast