Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

Thumbs down They ARE changing the SONG! ......[in Hong Kong DL]

Well, in HKDL so far, but you know what THAT means...This is even MORE blasphemous.

Adding a note of character
    In addition to the four new languages, the team is making this it's a small world unique by working with master music arranger George Wilkins to add a series of arrangements from classic Disney animated films that will play as "counterpoints" to the new character overlays. For example, as guests pass through the North America scene and see the doll dressed as Pocahontas, they'll hear a subtle suggestion of "Colors of the Wind."

"Because 'small world' is such a simple song, we couldn't take some of these grand arrangements and put them on top of it," said John. "We're being very sensitive to the existing song because [it's] so good and so universally loved."

Re: They ARE changing the SONG! ......

I don't think this means anything for DLR, honestly. The song would have to be rerecorded for HK anyway, to add new languages. And it doesn't mention any of the lyrics are being changed, just that the underlaying musical arrangement will include tributes to Disney character themes.

Even if they did incorporate this into DLR (much less likely since they're using the original track and not creating a new one anyway), it wouldn't change the lyrics of the song at all - just add a few flourishes underneath. Maybe that's still undesirable, but it's hardly changing the whole song.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• no flash photography...

that sounds nice to me.

Ohhh GOOD!! I do hate the song. And that sounds fine--it'll be subtle.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    I don't think this means anything for DLR, honestly.
    Actually, It could mean a lot. Any of those changes can be incorporated into the exiting rides at other parks, at any moment. I believe the addition of Disney characters was already discussed as a posibility at DLR, so why not the new musical arrangements? Not that I care either way...

• Mickey is not my Brother

There not going add words to the song just the background music from movies

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I expect we'll be hearing from Richard Sherman next. It may just be the most annoying song in the history of the world, but it's a classic. Adding further clutter to that score simply to "work in" these new "innovative" ideas is just plain sick.

IMO of course.

Again...where are these ideas coming from, and WHY are they still working at Disney?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Disneyland has already abandoned and returned to its original score. During the 1990s, I believe ending with the pre-50th refurbishment, the music heard at Disneyland was created for the Disneyland Paris attraction.

I really find it hard to believe that these changes to reflect the past (on both US coasts) have been greatly rejected by the visiting public.

• Mickey is not my Brother

I think next they will decide to totally redo the outside facace and make it disney characters popping out all over

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

First should this not really be in the Hong Kong section, and second is this any differnt to them changing the soundtrack every christmas. Lets welcome the change people

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I expect we'll be hearing from Richard Sherman next. It may just be the most annoying song in the history of the world, but it's a classic. Adding further clutter to that score simply to "work in" these new "innovative" ideas is just plain sick.

IMO of course.

Again...where are these ideas coming from, and WHY are they still working at Disney?

I agree with you.
    My wife is reading this and shaking her head in disbelief.

You don't mess with a classic as such. It's not broken, so don't 'fix' it. I'll toss out the idea of Tomorrowland '98 as an example of that.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post

You don't mess with a classic as such. It's not broken, so don't 'fix' it. I'll toss out the idea of Tomorrowland '98 as an example of that.
    How many times has that phase been mention on here through out the years.

The change in music has only been confirmed for Hong Kong anyway, and as most of you will never visit, why would it bother you!

• a wind to shake the stars

"Because 'small world' is such a simple song, we couldn't take some of these grand arrangements and put them on top of it," said John. "We're being very sensitive to the existing song because [it's] so good and so universally loved."
    Sounds pretty good to me!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

If this change stays in HK, then I have no problem with it. I think, for their version, this is really great news! It should add a nice touch, while, hopefully, not being all in-your-face.

HOWEVER, I do think this would be a mistake, if it were also to be added to DL's version. The attempt to blend all Disney parks (except Tokyo, of course) into one, giant Disney blob, with no identifying features for any of the parks, is a foolish one.

• Banned User

and you know Disney is going to be incrediably tasteless about this.

I rememnber right before the new Spaceship Earth was opening there was a press release where an imagineer was like "we think the purists will be happy" but when the ride opened it was a total fiasco. Sure the main portion of the ride with the AA's was good for the most part but the descent was awful, the narration was awful, music was pratically nonexistant, the video screen gimmick was dumb, and the whole ride just feels inferior.

So yea after experincing the "redone" spaceship earth, pirates, tiki room under NEW management, imagination, nemo submarine voyage, etc. I pretty much know what to expect from this overhaul and it ain't gonna be good.

This is really getting to the point of being disgusting. Does some idiots at Disney actually believe this will sell more toys and dvds???? or do they believe that kids dont enjoy the current attraction??? Adding charecters to Its a small world is a waste of time, money, and effort and will only piss people off and will not increase profits and as for the kids, kids enjoy the ride as it currently is....its about the children of the world! its not supposed to be a movie tie in!

ugh...I am so done with disney its not even funny. Once Harry Potter land opens at Universal im probably not even gonna go to the disney parks anymore because all they keep doing is neuter there attractions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast