School Project using 3d Studio max and i want to do it on a disney architect

I am in my second year in AA in architectual drafting. I am in my 3d class and the teacher wants us to pick a building and do a render of it. Others have chosen the eiffel tower and modern buildings such as the styles of frank ghery. I really want to do it on disney architecture. I looked up and found that peter dominick was the architect of wilderness lodge and grand californian hotels. I would really like to be able to get my hands on architectual information about this. Specifically front top side and back views as well as a floor plan. The hardest part has been finding the floor plan. I have noticed that other people on year enjoy doing rendering and perhaps you could share some information. I will continue hunting in the mean time. Also i am open to other architects such as Robert A.M. Stern who did the boardwalk hotel at WDW. Also if you have any other ideas i would really appreciate it. (I eventually want to work at WDI so i want to incorporate them in my work as much as possible) Thanx in advance

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: School Project using 3d Studio max and i want to do it on a disney architect

You could go pull blue prints from the public record offices like I believe Datameister does.

The biggest problem you are going to face in finding information is the view of Disney. The works that are going to have your best chances of easily finding information are going to be Eisner's little projects. You will probably find three common guys: Stern (Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club, Newport Bay Club), Gehry (Walt Disney Concert Hall, Team Disney Anaheim, Disney Village) and Graves (Eisner Bulding formerly known as Team Disney Burbank, Swan and Dolphin, Hotel New York). The other hotels at Disneyland Paris and Team Disney Florida have also received some attention.

I know for a fact that Architectural Record has covered some of these projects (I did a project on the Dolphin last year). Graves has published several books of his works, so those also contain his work for Disney. The biggest problem with periodicals and other publications is that they will give a couple of major elevations, a site or building plan, and a select number of important floor plans. Luckily, hotels tend to have a lot of repetition.

Good luck!

• Senior Minion

Re: School Project using 3d Studio max and i want to do it on a disney architect

I think Datameister would be the man to ask this question. Not sure what sources he has for WDW though and I'm sure they're not as good as DL. I guess the Orlando Building Department would be a place to start, but that might be a problem to get there. I doubt you could get much info from them online, but in person they might help.

I also assume Mr. Dominick is an independent architect and does not work for WDI so you could just contact his firm directly, tell them what you're doing and they might be willing to give you copies of the plans. I don't know for sure if he would have signed an agreement that wouldn't allow this but generally architects plans are considered an instrument of service, not a product, and therefore always remain the property of the architect. I'd give that a try, you never know, he would likely be flattered and willing to help.
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; 03-24-2008 at 03:17 PM.

• Senior Minion

Another point, if WDI is your career goal, I might consider actually doing something they designed, not something designed by one of the architects that corporate hired outside of the company.

As Lazy said, those will be easier to find info on, but they are really just examples of Eisner's ego, not imagineering. I've only met a few imagineers, so I can't speak for the majority, but it seems they generally don't like these outside architects very much.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I guess the Orlando Building Department would be a place to start, but that might be a problem to get there.
    None of Walt Disney World is inside Orlando. The incorporated cities are Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake. Orange County is where most of the built development of Walt Disney World is located. The Reedy Creek Improvement District, the legal entity that controls items such as the EPCOT building codes, may also be of some assistance. The periodicals, however, would be a lot easier.

One problem with Imagineering and its work is that projects are headed up a group known as the the show producers (I believe that is the term). These guys have no set professional discipline. This means that the buildings lack being able to be deemed the work of a single architect or collaboration.

• Senior Minion

Lazy-

I was thinking that WDW was not actually in Orlando when I was writing that, but I was being Lazy myself, so I just left it alone, thanks for the clarification.

In regard to your second point, it is true that you cannot give credit to a single person or architect for the design of an attraction. But this really could be said of almost any buillding. Most buildings are designed by commitee. But, there does have to be an architect of record for any public structure in Cali and I assume in FL as well.

When you say a building was designed by Ghery, Graves or Stern, likely they did a few preliminary sketches, if that, and then the project would be handed off to other architects or project managers in their firm who really design the building. Many of these "big time" design firms won't even be the architect of record, but then hire another firm to do Construction Documents and act as the AOR. The only reason these people are credited as the designer in many cases is because of their fame and it is the work of their firm. In reality often the really creative ideas come from a bunch of underpaid recently graduated kids.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    When you say a building was designed by Ghery, Graves or Stern, likely they did a few preliminary sketches, if that, and then the project would be handed off to other architects or project managers in their firm who really design the building. Many of these "big time" design firms won't even be the architect of record, but then hire another firm to do Construction Documents and act as the AOR. The only reason these people are credited as the designer in many cases is because of their fame and it is the work of their firm. In reality often the really creative ideas come from a bunch of underpaid recently graduated kids.
    Ego is everything.

• =)

It is indeed possible to view plans at Anaheim City Hall. I recently spent six hours there looking at every Disneyland print they have--I'm not exaggerating!--but I didn't see any of the Grand Californian. If you find something you want, the process of actually buying copies can take 1-3 months and involve getting lots of letters of permission. I haven't done it personally, though I wanted to until I found out how difficult that would be. (The $82 assessment fee didn't help, either.)

For basic layouts, aerial photos can be very helpful. I recommend maps.live.com when it comes to the DLR.

Sorry I can't be of more help! I wish this were all easier at least as much as you do, believe me.