Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How to Get Inside of the Round House

Ok. I'm a big fan of the Disneyland RR...Who isn't? I've heard that Disney World gives round house tours. They even fire up one of the trains for the day during the tour. Has Disneyland ever done anything like this? Or do you think they should?? If not is there anyway of getting a peak inside of the roundhouse? (and no I can't get a job there).

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Re: How to Get Inside of the Round House

whats the round house
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

They don't give tours of the Roundhouse. Here are some miceage articles that are just as good as a visit:

http://www.miceage.com/stevedegaetano/sd041707a.htm
    http://www.miceage.com/stevedegaetano/sd042307a.htm
    http://www.miceage.com/stevedegaetano/sd050107a.htm

• Closed Account

Hey, thanks for resurrecting those, Sosai!

Thrax, the roundhouse is the train/monorail storage facility.

For a very brief period years ago (maybe for only two weeks or less?), Disneyland did offer, on a test basis, tours of the roundhouse. They were quickly discontinued. People still speculate as to why.

The DL roundhouse is different than the WDW roundhouse. The WDW roundhouse is set way back away from the park. In DL, it's situated right next to the Small World show building. This proximity to other DL show elements may be one reason it was discontinued.

Today, there really are only a few ways to get to see the roundhouse: Become a CM, work for an outside contractor who has access, or get invited by the higher-ups.

DL does, however, have something WDW doesn't: Here, you can get cab rides on two of the engines--the engines Walt Disney himself built and operated! Can't do that at WDW!

• =)

When you drive by on I5, you can practically see in through the windows. Good enough, right?

• Driver Your Turn Is Clear

Costa Mesa, CA - 10.33 Miles South of DLR

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    DL does, however, have something WDW doesn't: Here, you can get cab rides on two of the engines--the engines Walt Disney himself built and operated! Can't do that at WDW!
    Steve... I am sure you have told us before but can you tell me again how to get those cab rides... Would be a once in a lifetime experience...
    Check out My Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 rides... I'm always working on another one... I hope they make you want to go to Disneyland.

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
    ~Walt Disney~

• Closed Account

Sure, Jgooss, it's pretty simple. You have to board at main Street Station. You can only get cab rides in two of the engines--Engine 1, the C.K. Holliday, and Engine 2, the E.P. Ripley. So make sure one or both of those engines is running.

Then, just politely ask the conductor when the train comes in if a cab ride would be possible. The conductor will ask the engine crew. They often say yes, but don't be disappointed if they say no. They have reasons--sometimes they have to fill the tender with water or fuel, or blow sediment out of the boiler. Just be patient, and try again a little later.

It is a once in a lifetime experience--not to be missed.

• Rock Star Minion

Sure, Jgooss, it's pretty simple. You have to board at main Street Station. You can only get cab rides in two of the engines--Engine 1, the C.K. Holliday, and Engine 2, the E.P. Ripley. So make sure one or both of those engines is running.

Then, just politely ask the conductor when the train comes in if a cab ride would be possible. The conductor will ask the engine crew. They often say yes, but don't be disappointed if they say no. They have reasons--sometimes they have to fill the tender with water or fuel, or blow sediment out of the boiler. Just be patient, and try again a little later.

It is a once in a lifetime experience--not to be missed.
    Excuse me????
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Closed Account

Sed, you're just going to have to change your screen name.

How about "Residue?"

• Imaginative Possibilities

I want a ride! I know where Im going next...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• DL Nerd

I think I'm gonna do this on my next Trip to DLR
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneylanddad View Post
    I've heard that Disney World gives round house tours..
    A bit of a clarification, The Magic Behind our Steam Trains is not exactly a roundhouse tour. The train that picks you up at the start of the tour back into the roundhouse, but you are not allowed off of the train (Pictures are allowed and a tour guest gets to throw the switch at ToonTown Fair.). You do get to stand immediately in front of the roundhouse, and board another train that is heading out for the day and watch it get ready for its day, including a blow down (During the day this is done at ToonTown Station (see Steve's article regarding Disney's Frontierland Station) but for the tour it is done on a bridge behind the park and you can really get an appreciation of how much power is being harnessed.

I've rambled, but it is a wonderful tour that really should not be missed.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    I think I'm gonna do this on my next Trip to DLR
    You just may be surprised at the answer! When I was there last, I asked for a cab ride for me and my son. The engineer declined. The conductor came back and asked if we wanted to ride the Lilly Belle instead!

• DL Nerd

You just may be surprised at the answer! When I was there last, I asked for a cab ride for me and my son. The engineer declined. The conductor came back and asked if we wanted to ride the Lilly Belle instead!

Been there

of course I wouldn't say no to another ride!!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

I believe the Backstage Magic Tour from Adventures by Disney goes to the Round House. That is one way in, it would cost you between $2,079 (value season early booking rate) through $2999 (peak season rate) (per person based on double occupancy).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast