View Poll Results: Should Tomorrowland be Utopian or Romantic?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Utopian

40 60.61%
  • Romantic

26 39.39%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Should Tomorrowland show a romantic or utopian view of the future?

Ok, English major here.

Has anyone ever read Thomas Moore's Utopia?

The society in that novel was perfect, uneventful and boring. It was a perfect society with nothing wrong. While that might be romantic in a sense; I understand what the OP meant by the word.

The OP meant romantic as its defined by the Websters online dictionary (specifically definitinos 4-6)
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Romantic

The definition of Utopian can be found here:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Utopian

I believe what TechSkip was referring to was is the "impossibility" involved with both themes.

I for one do not believe Romantiscm and Utopian are identical themes as Romance involves love, heroism and adventure while Utopias are perfect in function (thus making the concepts of love and heroism obosolete).

IMO Tomorrowland should retain the kinda already there romantic theme and give us our hero's and adventures rather than being a "perfect" society.

To me a Utopian theme would strive to be educational (which is Tomorrowland's original goal)...but it would be teaching something impossible. That's not cool with me. Romantic adventures would still appeal to all age groups and go well with the provided backdrop.

• =)

I think of Utopian as what Tomorrowland should be, To showcase all the good, edit out the bad stuff or find out an unrealistic(but realy cool) ways to fix the seemingly impossible to fix problems of today
    I think that should certainly be part of Tomorrowland--fixing the problems and such--but I think that problems still need to have a presence. After all, there are very few enjoyable attractions that don't involve some sort of conflict. So no, Tomorrowland shouldn't showcase most of the problems we deal with today. Most of those should be "fixed" or simply not shown at all. But other problems enter the mix, ones that are new and that we emotionally interpret as exciting, not as things that we need to worry about in real life.

We don't come to Disneyland to face our everyday problems--we come to face (and feel like we've conquered) ones from an entirely different life.

• Senior Minion

I think the problem I have with using "utopian" vs "romantic" is that romantic, at least to me, implies a future that will never happen. Walt wanted to portray a future that was possible, a future for dreamers, and an America that made those dreams happen. So there ought to be a certain level of "excitement" built into the land.

So for me, the best word to describe what Tommorrowland should be is "optimistic".

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I think that should certainly be part of Tomorrowland--fixing the problems and such--but I think that problems still need to have a presence. After all, there are very few enjoyable attractions that don't involve some sort of conflict. So no, Tomorrowland shouldn't showcase most of the problems we deal with today. Most of those should be "fixed" or simply not shown at all. But other problems enter the mix, ones that are new and that we emotionally interpret as exciting, not as things that we need to worry about in real life.

We don't come to Disneyland to face our everyday problems--we come to face (and feel like we've conquered) ones from an entirely different life.
    since when was going to Disneyland about conquering problems? I don't know, I just don't want a Dystopian Tomorrowland, nothing can be perfect anyway but this side of Disneyland is supposed to be kind of unrealistic and fantisized as opposed to the left side with views of the American Frontier and True life adventures(adventureland) I'd still like Utopian..

• =)

I think the problem I have with using "utopian" vs "romantic" is that romantic, at least to me, implies a future that will never happen.
    Just to play devil's advocate...let me remind you that none of the "historical" locales in Disneyland ever actually existed in real life. They are romanticized pastiches of many different locations, and they bend the rules a lot to produce an end product that is reminiscent of the past. Now, if the past is set in stone and we can still bend it that much...how much can we then bend our vision of the future, which we cannot foretell no matter how hard we try?

My point is, Disneyland doesn't (or shouldn't) try to depict things exactly as they happened or will happen. "Optimistic" is the word you used, and I agree. But I don't think Tomorrowland needs to be a showcase of a strictly possible and realistic future. Maybe "inspiring" is a better word?

since when was going to Disneyland about conquering problems?
    Disneyland completely appeals to our problem-solving or problem-surviving instincts. We emerge from an adventure that made us feel threatened in some way, shape, or form, and we feel all the better for having survived it. Nearly every great attraction appeals to this on some level, sometimes subtly and sometimes very overtly. Disneyland is a story, and stories don't work without conflict.

this side of Disneyland is supposed to be kind of unrealistic and fantisized as opposed to the left side with views of the American Frontier and True life adventures(adventureland)
    But both sides are fantasized. Critter Country, NOS, Adventureland, and Frontierland are all highly romanticized versions of the past. They're not what actually happened, nor are they supposed to be. They pay respect to the past and, in some cases, educate about it, but they don't replicate it.

My problem with a Utopian Tomorrowland is that it can indeed become a bit boring. So turn the perfection down a notch and make it a place where problems are getting solved and there's hope for the future, but where there's still room for excitement and imperfection and adventure.

• Banned User

I always thought Tomorrowland should somehow "Go green" someday because thats something that's really on the horizon right now.

For starters, they would power Tomorrowland with some sort of alternative means. Like, solar power- there's no shortage of that in Anaheim.

• Fancy that...

Disneyland completely appeals to our problem-solving or problem-surviving instincts. We emerge from an adventure that made us feel threatened in some way, shape, or form, and we feel all the better for having survived it. Nearly every great attraction appeals to this on some level, sometimes subtly and sometimes very overtly. Disneyland is a story, and stories don't work without conflict.
    ok.. That was deep man! I'll just agree..

But both sides are fantasized. Critter Country, NOS, Adventureland, and Frontierland are all highly romanticized versions of the past. They're not what actually happened, nor are they supposed to be. They pay respect to the past and, in some cases, educate about it, but they don't replicate it.
    romanticized versions of the past-yes, but they are still based on reality.

My problem with a Utopian Tomorrowland is that it can indeed become a bit boring. So turn the perfection down a notch and make it a place where problems are getting solved and there's hope for the future, but where there's still room for excitement and imperfection and adventure.
    maybe I have a different version of "Utopia" in my head because no matter what, I don't think everything can be perfect, even a 'Utopia'. I'd just call TL a Utopia but leave in a few imperections in it to make it fun. But realy, the only imperfections that are realy showcased in Tomorrowland are imperfections to the already futuristic Technologies(like the "then something goes horribly wrong" thing with a spacecraft or something) I'd stil vote for Utopia

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Who says Utopia can't be Romantic?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Who says Utopia can't be Romantic?
    Utopia's are romantic in that they are a fantasy. However, they are not truly romantic by nature.

If something is truly "perfect" there can be no opportunity for trouble. This means no opportunity for discovery, adventure or heroism.

In my opinion, Utopia's are not truly romantic.

• =)

I always thought Tomorrowland should somehow "Go green" someday because thats something that's really on the horizon right now.
    I think going green in real life is a great plan, but I think it'd be a poor choice to make permanentish additions or changes to Tomorrowland that are explicitly thematically green. Going green is a great trend, but it is a trend nonetheless, and mark my words--decades from now, it'll be looked back on as exactly that. (Not trying to say environmentalism won't last or that it's bad or anything--just that going green is very much a trendy thing right now.) I don't want Tomorrowland to become dated.

(At this point, someone objects and says that Tomorrowland is always doomed to become dated eventually, no matter what. After that, I point out that there are visions of the future from the past that still feel futuristic. The original Star Wars was made over thirty years ago, for instance, but it still feels very advanced and not at all dated, with the exception of a few special effects, the image quality, the computer displays, and Luke's hair. Anyway, my point is that a sufficiently well-done concept can continue to feel futuristic and fresh for decades on end.)

I don't think everything can be perfect, even a 'Utopia'.
    utopia: An ideally perfect place, especially in its social, political, and moral aspects. (From answers.com.)

• Fancy that...

utopia: An ideally perfect place, especially in its social, political, and moral aspects. (From answers.com.)

bold-mine
    ding! ding! ding! It SHOULD be a Utopia! It isn't a completely perfect place. So that works the best as opposed to a Romantic Future IMO

• Animatronic

I'd like to see a future that's smart. In other less subtile words, not stupid like the current direction. Walt's Tomorrowland was always smart, never talked down to the audience, and was always looking forward. The answer to the future's problems? Progress!

• =)

bold-mine
    ding! ding! ding! It SHOULD be a Utopia! It isn't a completely perfect place. So that works the best as opposed to a Romantic Future IMO
    Wait...what?! The definition I posted says that a utopia is a ideal and perfect. That's about as completely perfect as it gets! Unless you were interpreting it to mean, "A place that would ideally be perfect, especially in its social, political, and moral aspects." But wouldn't any place be perfect, ideally? Except Tomorrowland, that is.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Wait...what?! The definition I posted says that a utopia is a ideal and perfect. That's about as completely perfect as it gets! Unless you were interpreting it to mean, "A place that would ideally be perfect, especially in its social, political, and moral aspects." But wouldn't any place be perfect, ideally? Except Tomorrowland, that is.
    *sighs* I'm getting tired of you being right all the time

• =)

*sighs* I'm getting tired of you being right all the time
    I sicken of it myself.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast