Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st Disneyland trip

Hello,
    I am going to Disneyland for the first time in August. I was just wondering what everyone's best tip, secret or "stop & smell the roses" moment or spot for Disneyland was.

Thank You,
    Ben

• =)

Re: 1st Disneyland trip

Welcome to Micechat, and more importantly, congratulations on your first DL trip! I'm so happy for you. Biggest overall advice: unless you're never going to get to visit the park again, don't be determined to do EVERYTHING. Stress is your biggest enemy in the park. Take it easy and enjoy every moment, remembering that rides are great but they're not everything. Disneyland has a lot of fantastic exterior and interior theming throughout.

As far as attractions go, your choices will depend on how much of a thrill seeker you are. Rides like Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones, and the Matterhorn are about as thrilling as Disneyland gets, and they're relatively tame compared to Six Flags and the like. However, they feature absolutely extraordinary theming. You're not just riding a roller coaster--you're rocketing through space or careening through an abandoned mine in an old train or what have you. If thrills aren't so much your thing, Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion and their kin will be more up your alley. I personally enjoy both types of attraction and everything in between, but you may feel differently.

FastPass is great for avoiding longer lines. Just make sure to get FastPasses early in the day, since they run out later on. Keep in mind that while they give an expiration time on the card, you can still use the pass after that hour.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes! And of course, more questions are welcome. This site is quite a treasure trove of information.

• I'm not really here

Biggest piece of advice I can give you?
    Be Flexible

If you are walking past a ride and notice a 5 minute wait time, jump on it. Take advantage of the short lines as you come across them, they can become really long in mere seconds.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Oh my Goodness!

Yay!! That is so exciting!
    I agree w/ what everyone up above me has said. Try not to plan your trip to the millisecond. A lot of the most memorable magic moments come when you do something unexpected. And like Datameister said - DL is so much more then the rides... go to Snow White's Wishing well and make a wish or Stroll down Main Street with Ice Cream, Sit in the Hub (in front of the Castle w/ the Statue of Walt Disney and Mickey) and enjoy the night lighting of the Castle. Make it your own trip and enjoy every moment. Don't let yourself get upset by long lines (they happen) or the lady with the killer stroller or the annoying teenagers.....just absorb the atmosphere and let the less the perfect things roll off your back.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Welcome to MiceChat bb!! With a first timer I'd recommend going with a seasoned veteran to point out things of interest and what rides are best to go on when.

Will you be there for one day or many days?

How exciting!

• That's a lot of look.

Welcome, welcome, welcome! You're going to have a great time. Here are the things I like to do even after hundreds of trips.

1. Get there early. Well, actually, I hate doing this. But getting inside DL when it's relatively empty and being able to see it in the early morning sun is a wonderful sight. It's an amazing start to the day. Oh, yeah! You also get a ton of rides in before the sleepyheads arrive.

1a. There's little chance that you'll win a YOAMD prize on your trip. That's just the breaks. However, you'll maximize your chance for getting a Dream FP or a night in the Dream Suite early in the day because that's when they give those out. Don't change your plans just for that, though.

2. Ride rides and see shows that you're not interested in. Oddly enough, the attractions I kicked and screamed to avoid ended up being really good (hello, Jedi Training Academy!). But I like Fantasmic! and PPP, so what do I know? Hee!

3. If you're staying in a hotel nearby, take a mid-afternoon nap. Your brain will thank you.

4 If there's no line when you get to the exit, the CMs will probably let you ride again. Ask nicely.

5. If you go to the Animation Academy at DCA, sometimes the animator will let you have the drawing he/she did. Ask nicely.

Have fun!

• I love Disney

just came back will put up a trip report soon.
    My advice if you have magical mornings( one day if you are staying at a disney good neighboring hotel or if you stay on porperty you get magical mornings everyday) get to the main gates early like at 6:30 although the park opens at 7 for magical mornings. Get in and run to nemo. Than if you have time before 8 go to either the bobsleds or matterhorn. If you have more magical days devote one day to going around for an hour to get fastpass for the rides you want to go on because you can use them any time that day but you can't go on before the time. Also for the fireworks go near the flag pole best spot in my opion. Lasty, make sure you have a fun time where dreams come true. Good luck and may the 2 fers be with you.
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
    or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
    Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

• Blind to His Own Faults

If your schedule allows, plan to meet the hub club at noon on Sunday and get to meet your fellow MCers. Fishy, Dusty, Big D (DisneyIPresume), Chad (aashee), Lightmouse, The Rockr, Dan-Tasmic, TikiRoomLiz, Pianoman and his mom Tiggerfan, Maryann in Wonderland and her cool husband, PirateMunkee and Forbidden Eye and many more--all great people I would have not gotten to spend time with had I not dropped by the Hub and made a few plans with them throughout the day.

Additionally, reserve a lunch at the Blue Bayou Restaurant--everyone should do it at least once, IMO.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My advice for a first time visitor to Disneyland is to spend, at least your first hour in the park, in Town Square. Visit City Hall. Read the dedication plaque. Do a grand tour around the park on the train. Take pictures, and/or, have your photo taken. There's a whole lot of history in that little section of Disneyland. If you sprint through it, and down Main Street, you will miss a lot.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Bucket List Car

Hi and welcome to Micechat. You'll love it here!! All the advice so far is really good. How exciting to be going to DL for the FIRST time!!!
    Don't forget to buy your mouse ears!! That's a must for first timers in my book! Have a great time and don't forget to post your trip report so we can enjoy your first time with you!

• =)

My advice for a first time visitor to Disneyland is to spend, at least your first hour in the park, in Town Square. Visit City Hall. Read the dedication plaque. Do a grand tour around the park on the train. Take pictures, and/or, have your photo taken. There's a whole lot of history in that little section of Disneyland. If you sprint through it, and down Main Street, you will miss a lot.
    I'm sorry, but I disagree with this plan. Town Square and Main Street are fabulous--but if you're getting there at opening, I don't see the wisdom in using the first couple of hours (when the lines aren't long yet) to partake in activities that have no lines whatsoever. I think this'd be great advice for an AP holder, but not for a first-time visitor. Start off with the rides that'll have huge lines later, and then once the middle of the day hits, head back to Main Street and soak up all the glorious atmosphere, history, and charm. Makes sense, no?

Wow, I envy you. Wish I could visit DL for the first time again. Have fun!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Hello Ben!
    Welcome to micechat - the second happiest place on earth!
    Congrats on going to Disneyland for the first time as well, you'll have a blast!
    Check out some trip reports from people under the Disneyland Resort Catagory and there you can find somethings that may interest you in the park. I recommend the Plaza Inn for lunch/dinner and the Carnation Cafe for breakfast...make reservations at the carnation cafe though, it tends to get crowded! Don't forget to pick up a pair of black mickey ears with your name on them - it's a first time must! Also, stop by the city hall and pick up your first time visit button!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• DL Nerd

get a churro!!

I do recommend spending time around town square but like data said do that after you hit some rides.

I would recommend for you to reach inside and pull out your inner-child and let it take over!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

tips:

1. Get there prior to opening -- the park is actually not that crowded in the early mornings so you'll be able to do a lot in a few hours.
    2. Fast pass for Space Mountain should be the first fast pass you get. It's usually the first to disappear.
    3. Relax and enjoy yourself.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast