Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Big Thunder Mountain...

Does anyone know how fast it goes, or if it goes up any hills...
    Feel free to include imput on the ride...
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Big Thunder Mountain...

According to RCDB it goes 28MPH.

There are 3 lift hills on the ride.

• Live.Laugh.Love.Disney.

Big Thunder is SUCH a FUN ride. Have you ever been on it PretzelSouls? It is really fun, one of the first roller coaster like rides I ever went on =) But ever since the accident, Some people have been totally parannoyed to go on it. Just a heads up- Its a lot safer now =) And yes. It does go up hills. lifts too. and Drops. and sharp turns. After all, it ius a runaway train! =)
    SkItTlEs

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Never been on it before, I'm a chicken and NOT a big fan of roller coasters ever since I injured my spine on the huge one at DCA. What do you mean by it goes up lifts? lol...

Quote Originally Posted by SkittlesMcGee943 View Post
    Big Thunder is SUCH a FUN ride. Have you ever been on it PretzelSouls? It is really fun, one of the first roller coaster like rides I ever went on =) But ever since the accident, Some people have been totally parannoyed to go on it. Just a heads up- Its a lot safer now =) And yes. It does go up hills. lifts too. and Drops. and sharp turns. After all, it ius a runaway train! =)
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• I'm not really here

I will tell you this... having been a reformed roller coaster chicken myself...

Big Thunder feels MUCH faster than it really is. They place walls and ceilings closer to you to give the illusion of higher speed. None of the hills is steep. Sudden drops are at most 4 or 5 feet and over very quickly.

There is a lot to look at on this ride as well, and that can help distract you from the fact that you are on a roller coaster. Having been scared of roller coasters (including any and all at Disneyland), I can safely say that this is one of my all time favorite rides at any theme park (and I'm a roller coaster junky now).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Circle of Ancients

Prezelsouls,

just think of it this way. The ride is only 3mph faster than the recommended speed limit in a school zone. Drive 28 miles per hour, NOT very fast. Which ride at DCA did you hurt your back on? Mullholland Madness I'd guess.

That ride goes 27mph, but the difference is the turns. On Mullholland Madness, they aren't banked which makes the forces more.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Thanks for the reassurance! My friend, Emi, and I are going in August and she keeps insisting we ride on it! So I decided to find out about it first. Maybe I'll test it out this June Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I will tell you this... having been a reformed roller coaster chicken myself...

Big Thunder feels MUCH faster than it really is. They place walls and ceilings closer to you to give the illusion of higher speed. None of the hills is steep. Sudden drops are at most 4 or 5 feet and over very quickly.

There is a lot to look at on this ride as well, and that can help distract you from the fact that you are on a roller coaster. Having been scared of roller coasters (including any and all at Disneyland), I can safely say that this is one of my all time favorite rides at any theme park (and I'm a roller coaster junky now).

• formerly PretzelSouls!

That's a good point about the school zone thing.

I hurt my spine on the rollercoaster that goes upsidedown in mickey's head...
    You are right about Mullholland Madness though - that one is terrible, didn't hurt anything on that one but I did throw up...the turns on that are terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Prezelsouls,

just think of it this way. The ride is only 3mph faster than the recommended speed limit in a school zone. Drive 28 miles per hour, NOT very fast. Which ride at DCA did you hurt your back on? Mullholland Madness I'd guess.

That ride goes 27mph, but the difference is the turns. On Mullholland Madness, they aren't banked which makes the forces more.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

You must go on Big Thunder. Not a request, a demand!

• The Monkey's Uncle

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    Never been on it before, I'm a chicken and NOT a big fan of roller coasters ever since I injured my spine on the huge one at DCA. What do you mean by it goes up lifts? lol...
    Because of concern for your well being....and not to be a "pooper".
    If you have any existing issues because of your spinal injury....consult your Dr. before boarding any attraction that has motion. Some rides have a lot of jarring movement up, down and left to right so depending on your back's tolerance I would use caution. Left / Right movement could be taxing on your back and any compression caused by sudden downward movement and rear hitting the seat might not be good.

Thunder Mtn is a great ride... LIFTS are the inclines that bring the roller coaster up to its point where is starts its motion using gravity. Typically using a CHAIN or in the case of Splash Mtn..a giant rubber belt of sorts.

The one thing that "bothers" me is that after the 3rd lift its pretty anti-clamatic. It goes much slower than after the first two lifts.

• Live.Laugh.Love.Disney.

Are you okay?! By "lifts" I actually have no Idea what I mean..... Its just when you go up a hill, sometimes they are called a "lift"....
    SkItTlEs

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

That's a good point about the school zone thing.

I hurt my spine on the rollercoaster that goes upsidedown in mickey's head...
    You are right about Mullholland Madness though - that one is terrible, didn't hurt anything on that one but I did throw up...the turns on that are terrible!
    Mulholland Madness is the most terrifying 'coaster' there is. What it lacks in speed or drops it makes up for in its apparent disregard for the consequences of centrifugal force, and its haughty contempt for proper building codes.

The structure looks as if my cousin Tim and I put the entire thing up on a Sunday afternoon with a crescent wrench and phillips head screwdriver (and we had parts 'left over').

EDITED: to satisfy nit-picky-ness
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 03-31-2008 at 03:20 PM.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Talking Re: Big Thunder Mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Mulholland Madness is the most terrifying 'coaster' there is. What it lacks in speed or drops it makes up for in its apparent disregard for the laws of centrifugal force, and its haughty contempt for proper building codes.

The structure looks as if my cousin Tim and I put the entire thing up on a Sunday afternoon with a crescent wrench and phillips head screwdriver (and we had parts 'left over').
    I hate when that happens - the instructions clearly state: "NO PIECES SHOULD BE LEFT OVER" && then you end up with 5 or 6 extras. I hate that ride to the bone - it's crazy! Not smooth at all...

Quote Originally Posted by SkittlesMcGee943 View Post
    Are you okay?! By "lifts" I actually have no Idea what I mean..... Its just when you go up a hill, sometimes they are called a "lift"....
    Ok, ok good! I was getting nervous there lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tool View Post
    The one thing that "bothers" me is that after the 3rd lift its pretty anti-clamatic. It goes much slower than after the first two lifts.
    In my case that makes me pretty happy Does it make like one big drop? Or make it's way down slowly??

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkwerx View Post
    Because of concern for your well being....and not to be a "pooper".
    If you have any existing issues because of your spinal injury....consult your Dr. before boarding any attraction that has motion. Some rides have a lot of jarring movement up, down and left to right so depending on your back's tolerance I would use caution. Left / Right movement could be taxing on your back and any compression caused by sudden downward movement and rear hitting the seat might not be good.

Thunder Mtn is a great ride... LIFTS are the inclines that bring the roller coaster up to its point where is starts its motion using gravity. Typically using a CHAIN or in the case of Splash Mtn..a giant rubber belt of sorts.
    I think I may do that - I wouldn't want to mess up my back any worse - thanks for your concern

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    You must go on Big Thunder. Not a request, a demand!
    LOL...I'm pretty sure I'll go on it, despite your DEMAND.

• Circle of Ancients

You went on CA Screamin'? It's like twice as fast as Big Thunder.

You'll be fine.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast