Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Your Average Joe

Re: California Adventure Food and Wine Festival '08

Thanks Dusty!!!

I'll have page 1 please. Yes...all of it!!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Too Bad the DLR folks don't know how to spell "Hook's Pointe"
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Here's a fun little surprise - the menu for this year's Taste!

The very promising menu for Taste

Menu Highlights:

• Tomato Artichoke Bisque with Eggplant Caviar Froth
    • Deconstructed Ratatouille with Champagne Risotto
    • Enlightened Japanese Sweet Potato with Duck Confit
    • California Poussin, Walnut Mubammara
    • Pan Seared Voodoo Shrimp
    • Goat Cheese Ravioli with Fried Artichoke and Yellow Tomato Sage Butter
    • Spicy Boiled Gulf Shrimp on Creole Gazpacho with Wasabi Caviar
    • NY Strip with Au Gratin Potato Stack
    • Spicy Fennel Sausage and Tomato Bolognese with Lemon Mascarpone Polenta
    • Sushi Trio
    • Meyer Lemon Lobster Slider

Featured Wines:
    Acacia, Baileyana, Banfi Vintners, Brassfield, Buena Vista Carneros, Flora Springs, Gallo Family Vineyards, Hill Family, XYZin, Widmer Brothers/ Kona Longboard

Live performance by two time Grammy award winning jazz guitarist Paul Brown

Sounds like a classy and delicious evening!

-The Dusty One
    We just signed up for this event. I posted a thread inquiring about who else is going.

Any takers? It should be alot of fun!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

anyone going to the dinner at Napa Rose Sat/Sun?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    anyone going to the dinner at Napa Rose Sat/Sun?
    Kathleen and I will be there for the Guy Fiere event on Sunday night.

By the way...we also are supposed to go to the wine tasting thing Sunday at 1PM. Will we be able to appear at the noon meet and still get back over there in time to get in line or whatever?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

By the way...we also are supposed to go to the wine tasting thing Sunday at 1PM. Will we be able to appear at the noon meet and still get back over there in time to get in line or whatever?
    Sure.
    Mike

My 15 year old daughter and I were at the Chocolate Sunday cooking demonstration this morning. The recipe was easy and delicious. We were in the front row and they were filming the demo for something (we never asked). We finally made it to a demonstration and we had a blast. I'll make more effort next year to get to more. And hopefully it will be cooler next year.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

What a great weekend!! Food and Wine was such a blast! I'm not much of a wine fan, but the set up was great and it was so great how you could try so many different wines and intermingle with friends! The weather was great, the atmosphere wonderful.... kudos to those who plan and put on this event each year!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Well, the Food & Wine Festival for this year has come to an end. IMO, it was the best yet. Just fantastic. We took in several of the events. The paid ones: wine tasting classes, receptions and the wonderful Taste, the solid ice martini bar was unbelievable. And many of the free seminars and cooking demos. Congratulations to those at Disney that put it on (Jim, Gary, Teri, etc...) you did a fantastic job and we are already looking forward to next year's festival.
    Mike

Sad Re: California Adventure Food and Wine Festival '08

We found the Taste event this year to be a disappointment. From my wife and my perspective, we thought the 2007 event was a home run in every sense. This year, we found these issues:

* While the entertainment was very high quality, it seemed to blend into the background. We really enjoyed Barrage last year and thought that their show along with alternating pre-recorded jazz for the band breaks was perfect.

* The event was oversold. It was a zoo for the first 1.5 hours. I know Disney has their eye on the $$$ but this was a bit much.

* Perhaps because the event was oversold, we encountered many rude people. Last year, it seemed that you could walk over to any cocktail table, strike up a conversation and enjoy talking to new people. This year, we as well as our other friends, received plenty of stink eye and words from those people that had staked out a whole table with only one person standing there. Silly.

* The food was good, but this year, we were only dazzled by a couple of dishes. Last year, it seemed that everything was just fantastic except for a couple of dishes.

Yes, I'm splitting hairs, but $125 per person goes a long way at many good restaurants. We've already decided that we'll be using that money at one of the highly praised wine maker events next year and will skip Taste.

s.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdilbert View Post

* While the entertainment was very high quality, it seemed to blend into the background. We really enjoyed Barrage last year and thought that their show along with alternating pre-recorded jazz for the band breaks was perfect

* Perhaps because the event was oversold, we encountered many rude people. Last year, it seemed that you could walk over to any cocktail table, strike up a conversation and enjoy talking to new people. This year, we as well as our other friends, received plenty of stink eye and words from those people that had staked out a whole table with only one person standing there. Silly.
    Musical choices are soooo subjective. The people at our table loved the entertainment. We were there for the food, the wine, and the camraderie and we enjoyed the "background music". I'm not sure if we would have enjoyed in-your-face entertainment.

As far as table-hogging goes, perhaps Disney could address that issue by having more tables available. We had a group of 10-12 people and we wanted to spend time together. If there were more tables, folks wouldn't put such a premium on them.

Blame Disney, not the participants.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Musical choices are soooo subjective. The people at our table loved the entertainment. We were there for the food, the wine, and the camraderie and we enjoyed the "background music". I'm not sure if we would have enjoyed in-your-face entertainment.

As far as table-hogging goes, perhaps Disney could address that issue by having more tables available. We had a group of 10-12 people and we wanted to spend time together. If there were more tables, folks wouldn't put such a premium on them.

Blame Disney, not the participants.
    I'm pretty sure I indicated that the music was high quality, and in no way did I mention that last year the music was in your face.

We had a group of 6 people, and we wanted to be together. In fact, 4 of these people were strangers to us from last year's Taste event and we were delighted to meet up with them again. And I do blame Disney because:

1. There were only cocktail tables available last year (the small circular tables). I appreciate that they added the larger square tables, but the sit down giant round tables really added to the congestion.

2. Last year, Disney was all over us about our comments about the event. This year there was nothing, and to us that means that we're likely to see a more oversold event next year.

3. It's Disney! Is there a company anywhere in the world that has more experience with handling large events and crowds? Our feeling is that this should be second nature to them, so yes, we are more critical than we would be at any non-Disney event.

It's a great idea for an event, but I think money is better spent at some of the other things like the wine makers dinners through the festival.

s.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345