Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Mickey Marches Up Matterhorn

Hi! I'm new to the site and enjoy reading postings.

I was at DL on Tuesday. I was looking for a bottle of water from one of the vendor carts as I was walking through the hub in front of the castle, just a few minutes before 11am) when the park made an annoucement. It said that in 'just a few minutes' (you know how dramatic the 'disney god' is on the announcements they make, with the deep voice and such) that Mickey would climb the Matterhorn. I quickly looked through my daily entertainment schedule to see if it was listed, I thought I knew all the daily entertainment listed, and it wasn't there. My buddy and I waited around for the handful of minutes and then the music came up and about half the people around the hub turned their eyes to the Matterhorn. And, there he was about half way up, along with Goofy and Minnie. The announcer explained, in funny phrases with each word beginning with the same letter or sounding (like and now Mickey Mounts Magestic Matterhorn Mountain, get it?). Minnie did cheers that rhymed. And, finally Mickey got to the top and planted a special 50th Anniversary Flag on the top. It lasted about 15 minutes. It was funny and entertaining, a lot of kids were really excited. I suggest any true Disney fan to check it out.

My questions are: Has this been happening each day this summer? I have been there at least 12 days this summer season and not seen this?

Is this something that was just added to the 50th celebration in the past few days?

Why is it not in the schedule on the brochures or on the website?

One last note. I just happened to be in the Hub again around 2pm and they performed the Mickey's Matterhorn again.

Thanks for your time fellow Disney fans and "Have a Disney Day!!"

• CM for 4 years!

Re: Mickey Marches Up Matterhorn

They've been doing this about four times a day all summer. Ask any cast member to look it up in their reference guide. It's geared towards people in the Hub, but isn't listed as part of their entertainment schedule.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

'Mickey Mounts Magestic Matterhorn Mountain'

Sounds Dirty

We saw it when we were there in May. We also have seen it over the years climbed either by Mickey and Company, or by Matterhorn Themed Climbers.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• OM NOM NOM

It's called Mickey: Magnificent MountainEAR.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

It's not just a 50th thing, I've been watching Mickey climb the Matterhorn since I was a little. It's a nice treat and I still get pretty excited about it. The only think new is the flag that Mickey plants and the colorful ribbons that shoot up and decorate the peak. The dialogue is a bit cheesy I admit, but I had to laugh when Goofy was ordering pizza.

In past summers, Goofy has climbed up there with him. It was awesome seeing the Mickey Matterhorn climbing tradition during the 50th!
    Always let your conscience be your guide. - Jiminy Cricket

• Sock Puppet

I have seen it lately, but did not know they announced it with music and all. I have only seen it while in fantasyland. Just thought it was a random treat for those who bothered to look up. Minnie and goofy only went up about halfway, while Mickey made it to the peak.

• Minion

I was in line for SM when someone turned around and said "Is someone jumping off the Matterhorn?". Lol. Ya. With big ears. They do it 4 times a day. With no audio you dont know whats going on, so i cant blame him.

• Shubisha

In the past like 3 of them at a time have been up there. Mickey obviously, sometimes pluto othertimes minnie, goofy, etc...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I watched Mickey climb the Matterhorn on my recent trip to Disneyland It also began at 11 am. I took many pictures. I should have had the zoom on my camera though, and they would have turned out better. Still learning how to use my new digital. Mickey climbing the Matterhorn is worth checking out. I did get a pretty cool shot of the little explosion thing they do. It was hard to get a good shot of the flag. They do not leave it up there very long.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Theme Park Advocate

The MountainEAR show is one of those little perks for the 50th that I always make a point to watch. Even with all the new paint jobs and ride restorations it is little things like this that make DL that extra bit special. With out these little touches the celebration would be no different than the "50 years of theme park magic" found in the other Disney parks.
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

• insufferable know-it-all

For the record, yes they used to do it, but they stopped for a long time (I'd say at least a decade) and just recently started doing it again for the 50th.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

It is sooooo cool, not just Mickey and gang, but the other climbers as well. We are REALLY glad they brought them back! Snaps to CM Matt, or whomever was responsible for this and other goodies like Hawaiian shirts at Tiki Room, and the guns on the Jungle Cruise. These all seem like small things, but isn't that one of the reasons we all love Disneyland?
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• Sock Puppet

The first time I saw "Remember" I was standing by the guy that climbs the Matterhorn as Mickey. His friends were making jokes about it. One guy said he is always afraid that one of his "Mickey hands" would fall off and scare the kiddies.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 100th Dalmation
    The first time I saw "Remember" I was standing by the guy that climbs the Matterhorn as Mickey. His friends were making jokes about it. One guy said he is always afraid that one of his "Mickey hands" would fall off and scare the kiddies.
    Wow, I hope no little kids overheard him - way to kill the magic!
    I bet he wont have a job for much longer if they havent already replaced him..

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Artsy Fartsy

This last time we were there for the 5-5-05 celebration I saw that. I thought it was the cutest thing. I had never seen it before. I guess that's because Iv'e always been there in the off season. I have video clips of it, I just don't know how to post them.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast