Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Re: Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough???

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Are you saying you have pix of the original, pre-1977 walk-thru? You would make a lot of people extremely happy if you could get those online, friend.

I probably have some somewhere, my Grandfather took over 250K+ photos over his life time. Finding the right box of slides or negatives will be hell. Perhaps before I die. I counted once, there are over 200 different Disneyland sets between 1955 and 1976.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Old Timer

I have the booklet that was given out in 1957 when they first opened the walk thru. It has drawings of several of the diaramas. A number of the original art works from the film are on display on the second floor by the Pavillion room at the Hotel. The design for the film is amazing. It both reflects the time and is timeless. The long vertical look of the film is the best of this type of design from the late 50s.

• Boat shoes all day long

The old walk-through was fine and dandy, but like most things, an update would be fresh and appreciated. Remember the old vehicles on the Autopia? Would you really want to be riding in those? Not me, I am pleased with the new cars and always hope for something new. Not all changes are bad, but yes, I have heard these rumors as well and hope they get down to business.

I'm not sure how many of you recall, but there was a supposed haunting in that tunnel a number of years ago. All I know is that the cast member who experienced in left that night and never came back to work.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    The old walk-through was fine and dandy, but like most things, an update would be fresh and appreciated. Remember the old vehicles on the Autopia? Would you really want to be riding in those? Not me, I am pleased with the new cars and always hope for something new. Not all changes are bad, but yes, I have heard these rumors as well and hope they get down to business.

I'm not sure how many of you recall, but there was a supposed haunting in that tunnel a number of years ago. All I know is that the cast member who experienced in left that night and never came back to work.

Even with the walk-through closed that seems to happen all the time with CM's, the whole park must be haunted!
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Just a puppet on a string

Anyone remember the 'echo' chamber that used to be in there? I am pretty sure there was one but it was removed when I was still pretty young, around 1973 or 74 maybe. I loved that...

I would love to see it all back again, it was one of my favorites.

"Think of a wonderful thought!"

"Any happy little thought?"

Freedom is a word I rarely use without thinking.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Green Mother View Post
    Anyone remember the 'echo' chamber that used to be in there?
    Just barely. The one I remember is the swirling, dancing, multi-colored spinning wheels (done with mirrors to make it look like there were tons of them), perhaps done with reference to a deleted scene from the movie?

Eyvind Earle did concept art and actual art for the movie, and concept art and actual art for the walk-thru, so there are four sets of Earle SB artwork to keep track of, and they sometimes get blurred together. Here is some of his concept art for the DL walk-thru, starting with that spinning wheel tableau:

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    I'd love to see the walk-through back. However, the subs have an alternate experience for those that have ADA specifications. I think that is how they get away with it.
    There's always around the ADA when required. If there was NO POSSIBLE WAY to accommodate the handicapped (pretty much just the mobility impaired), variances can be requested. As long as they don't change the former actual guest access portions, they should be able to reopen it without any major issues, even without an alternative experience.

• Minion

The remodel took place in 1977, according to Yesterland.

There is a full video of the barbie-doll version out there. Check youtube.

For the original, people are always clambering for photos but there seems to be next to nothing. There's a shot of Aurora sleeping on her bed in old Fantasyland Viewmaster sets, and it's really nice, and I wish someone would scan it online, but other than that, I've never seen a single photo.
    Now, if someone from way back remembers that they shot an 8mm movie of the original walk thru, can find it in all the boxes in their garage, and convert it to digital, maybe they will post THAT on YouTube.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Now, if someone from way back remembers that they shot an 8mm movie of the original walk thru, can find it in all the boxes in their garage, and convert it to digital, maybe they will post THAT on YouTube.
    It was rather dark in there, and that's the real reason for the dearth of photos. Same thing for Rainbow Caverns on the old Mine Train. Lots of folks would kill to see good pix of things like that, but there's precious little to be found, no matter how many boxes of old photos you rifle through.

Still, there's always hope that someone somewhere with a really good camera and above-average photo skills...
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

The big irony with the SB walk-thru is that by the time Eyvind Earle's art began to be truly appreciated, they had replaced his work in the walk-thru with horrible barbie-doll crap. The original Ken Anderson/Eyvind Earle walk-thru would probably be better reviewed and appreciated today than at any time since it was new.
    You are so right! It's a shame that nobody at Disney management had the foresight to preserve this stuff.
    In hindsight, I count my memories of that original version as precious, but like most others I didn't really appreciate it at the time.
    Speak for yourself; it was not a trip to Disneyland for me without a walk through the castle, and I usually insisted on dragging my family there first. But then I was a total Sleeping Beauty nut .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    The "Barbie doll one," didn't actually use Barbie dolls... I thought it was wonderful though. The best thing about it was that it was really kid friendly. Kids really liked this version of the walk through. It appealed to them, and made it seem like a storybook of Sleeping Beauty was coming alive in 3D.
    I suppose the "doll' version had its own charm; I know it was special to many who grew up with it.

I know we may seem crazy, but it's so hard to explain just how beautiful the original walk through was. Even the concept paintings don't do it justice, as they don't show the layering of the arrangements or the special lighting and paint effects. (Yes, these were not technically 3D as we think of it, but there was quite a bit of depth to each scene, just as there was on the dark rides of the time.)

The art design both from this attraction and the movie had a huge effect on me as a child, and really sparked a life-long love of art.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123