Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Over 10 Disney/Pixar well known "CM's" says leave "iasw" alone - Re-Imagneering

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/...on-speaks.html

Here is one out of the 11 comments made....

“How can a company who understands the concept of "theming" so well make the decision to add film characters to a ride originally designed to celebrate "Children of the World"? The simple design aesthetic is a perfect marriage to that theme as well. The additional characters incorporate multiple design aesthetics and would introduce a visual chaos to "It's a Small World". It would be far better to remove a ride than to compromise the design of that ride with poorly conceived additions. The Walt Disney Co. should respect its own business plan and design concepts or hand over the scepter to someone who does.”

Fred Cline
    Designer and Storyboard Director
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• =)

Re: Over 10 Disney/Pixar well known "CM's" says leave "iasw" alone - Re-Imagneering

Oh good. I was just hoping someone would start a thread about It's a Small World--it doesn't get discussed much on these boards.

• Minion

Re: Over 10 Disney/Pixar well known "CM's" says leave "iasw" alone - Re-Imagneering

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Oh good. I was just hoping someone would start a thread about It's a Small World--it doesn't get discussed much on these boards.
    Until Disney announces that the addition of Disney characters and America section will not happen, Micechat should probably be renamed:It's a Small World Chat. If these changes do happen, MC will be IASW Chat, well into the next year.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Until Disney announces that the addition of Disney characters and America section will not happen, Micechat should probably be renamed:It's a Small World Chat. If these changes do happen, MC will be IASW Chat, well into the next year.
    Even then, none of us should actually believe Disney. First the Mark Blair concept art. Now Marty Sklar. They are just trying to shut everyone up. This will stop only when the attraction reopens in 2009 for me. I could see Disney trying to pull a "the characters will only be for the Holiday 2008 attraction" and then keeping them due to the "amazing popularity" while giving no consideration for the popularity of the Holiday attraction.

After all that, I am sure the proposal will go back, if it has not already, to Phil Holmes. Far too many Walt Disney World fans just like to roll over and behave. Too many in outrage over the changes at Disneyland would give no second thought to such an announcement concerning the Magic Kingdom.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Even then, none of us should actually believe Disney. First the Mark Blair concept art. Now Marty Sklar. They are just trying to shut everyone up. This will stop only when the attraction reopens in 2009 for me. I could see Disney trying to pull a "the characters will only be for the Holiday 2008 attraction" and then keeping them due to the "amazing popularity" while giving no consideration for the popularity of the Holiday attraction.

After all that, I am sure the proposal will go back, if it has not already, to Phil Holmes. Far too many Walt Disney World fans just like to roll over and behave. Too many in outrage over the changes at Disneyland would give no second thought to such an announcement concerning the Magic Kingdom.
    Yes, we shouldn't believe Disney till we see for ourselves that IASW has been saved from the marketeers. WDW has really gone down hill, because of all the changes to MK and EPCOT over the last ten years and not many people seem to care. If Spaceship Earth was in DL, and had just went through the horrific changes that WDW's has, than there would be an epic outrage.

• Banned User

I'm starting to wonder, why do we have to continue with this? Name one time Fan Outrage won over Disney. If you guys want attention, go "Save Mr. Toad" style and picket out on Harbor Boulevard or over on Ball Road in front of TDA. That's a good way to get some support. I'd support that cause. If people really want to save it, don't sit on your butts and write letters, take action. IASW should have more supporters than Mr. Toad ever had. Try and get the General Public involved. Half of them have no idea that Disney Characters will be coming to small world. Get them in on the act and see what happens.

What do we know? Adding Disney characters is just what Small World needed. Actually out of all the projects at DisneyLand this was deffinatly the most important one. Doll sales were on the decline , the new exit shop will be open and this will increase revenue at a busy attraction, perfect. Were only charging $15 for parking, $80 at the gate and over inflating food and beverages by about 200%, this is just a fantastic way to keep the guests happy. Sell 'em more junk. Its not a museum remember, its a mall, er I mean a "Theme Park"
    : (

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I'm starting to wonder, why do we have to continue with this? Name one time Fan Outrage won over Disney. If you guys want attention, go "Save Mr. Toad" style and picket out on Harbor Boulevard or over on Ball Road in front of TDA. That's a good way to get some support. I'd support that cause. If people really want to save it, don't sit on your butts and write letters, take action. IASW should have more supporters than Mr. Toad ever had. Try and get the General Public involved. Half of them have no idea that Disney Characters will be coming to small world. Get them in on the act and see what happens.
    This is getting much larger than just message board foamers complaining. Outlets such as the Los Angeles Times are hardly the publications of the Disney fan community.

• Minion

>>Name one time Fan Outrage won over Disney.<<

In part due to concumer outcry, response or reaction:

Submarine Voyage was not concreted over.

The Enchanted Tiki Room was restored.

Closure of Sleepin Beauty Castle was delayed by a few years.

Carnation Cafe was retained.

Light Magic was cancelled.

Small World survives.

Electrical Parade glowed back.

Tomorrowland was painted.

Mr. Lincoln wasn't closed for good.

Walt Disney Treasures DVD line was continued.

Hand-drawn animation is making a comeback.

The animated sequels were halted.

Superstar Limo folded.

DCA was remodelled.

Michael Eisner resigned.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 04-06-2008 at 02:57 PM.

• FastPass n00b

You know what's ironic about all this?

A Disney character has not been seen on the Disney Channel or Toon Disney for many years, Mickey Mouse is no longer the exclusive star of the company, Pixar has taken over any type of ride theme in any Disney park...and yet they choose it's a small world to put DISNEY characters in!

If they are so concerned about their classic characters, why is Disney all of the sudden wanting to be more associated with Finding Nemo, High School Musical and Hannah Montana than Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck!?

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Yes, we shouldn't believe Disney till we see for ourselves that IASW has been saved from the marketeers. WDW has really gone down hill, because of all the changes to MK and EPCOT over the last ten years and not many people seem to care. If Spaceship Earth was in DL, and had just went through the horrific changes that WDW's has, than there would be an epic outrage.
    You don't read very many other Disney fan boards, do you? WDI itself was getting completely ripped apart by many members of 4-5 boards which I frequent for the SSE changes. Although WDI was not the sole one to blame. Now, there are many ongoing changes within the descent which weren't in the initial budget.... I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    You know what's ironic about all this?

A Disney character has not been seen on the Disney Channel or Toon Disney for many years, Mickey Mouse is no longer the exclusive star of the company, Pixar has taken over any type of ride theme in any Disney park...and yet they choose it's a small world to put DISNEY characters in!

If they are so concerned about their classic characters, why is Disney all of the sudden wanting to be more associated with Finding Nemo, High School Musical and Hannah Montana than Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck!?
    They have The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on now, but it's still sad that Hanna Montana means more to Disney than the mouse himself. Soon Mickey will sport a blond wig and belt out preppy pop tunes. After all, is it any worse than Mousercise?
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I'm starting to wonder, why do we have to continue with this? Name one time Fan Outrage won over Disney.
    Disney's California Adventure.

Oh...and all the stuff that Merlin mentioned above.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

HEY... MODERATOR!!

This thread needs to be merged with all the other IASW threads, or give it it's own forum. It's getting ridiculous here in the Disneyland forum.

• Banned User

I'm starting to wonder, why do we have to continue with this? Name one time Fan Outrage won over Disney. .
    You asked for one and I will give you two examples of when fan outrage won over Disney:

1-In the late 80s early 90s there was a plan to replace Mr.Lincoln with Muppetvision 3D on Mainstreet. Due to fan outcry and a letter writing campaign Mr.Lincoln was not replaced.

2-Shortly after the debut of the ill-fated "journey into YOUR imagination" at Epcot Center a grassroots campaign to bring the charecter Figment back into the attraction was launched and it was a sucess. Within a short time, they shut down Journey into your imagination and retooled it to reincorporate figment (although when they did they made him strangely annoying and obnoxious).

The thing with Its a small world is that this "everything's gotta be a charecter tie-in" mandate by marketing and select imagineers (cough fitzgerald cough cough) has been going on for too long and imagineers, fans, and guests with good taste have been really getting irritated by it. I believe that IASW is the straw that broke the camels back and now the war that has been going on inside the company and within the fan community has reached a peak and is now being discussed by the news media. If Disney corporate scales back on the cartoon cash-ins and leaves/restores some of the originaliy in the park people will complain alot less. Personally the cartoon tie-in in the Submarine Voyage totally neutered the attraction in my opinion and they removed all the fun stuff from the attraction like finding the atlantis ruins (complete with totering columns that moved around), the mermaids scene, and the goofy sea serpent at the end. Not to mention the fact that cartoon tie-ins like Toy Story and Finding Nemo have absoluetly no place in TOMORROWland.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast