Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Re: CMs with Backpacks/Purses-Bad Show?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Disney could reopen the gate on the West side and provide more direct transportation to that part of the property. Disney could also have more trams operate along the "backbone" of the park to shuttle employees from one area to another. And, West-side cast members could avoid crossing at Town Square by crossing at Central Plaza more often, instead.

A Town Square tunnel, like the one between the Carousel Theater and Central Plaza, would certainly be nice, but such a thing might not be necessary.

As for purses and backpacks, a Disneyland host or hostess can easily improve the show by carrying the bag in his or her hand as he or she walks on stage. No items should really ever be worn over the costumes.
    Yes and no. Town Square crossing means less time On Stage. Using the Central Plaza means hurting the Adventureland show and often Frontierland and New Orleans Square shows in addition to Main Street. Fortunately Tomorrowland does not have this problem, and Fantasyland also doesn't have this problem by having their costuming facility adjacent to their land.
    The problem could be mitigated by having costuming facilities and more parking on the West Side (and may be, if the expansion of the Ball Lot into a structure/costuming ever becomes a reality), but until that time happens, the ball is in Disney's court (which Walt himself made a problem) and not the Cast's.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

No to mention as well, Cast Locker provided to us requires us to use THEIR locks which as a master key slot. There is a pretty high theft rate(ppl having the keys :\) since no one is really watching the lockers at all so many CMs dont bother putting it there, but rather, take it to their area that is known to have a lower theft rate(aka department offices)

Going backstage is time consuming. they do have a tram that connects east side --> TDA, mainly running FOR TDA people but they shut down at 7PM so its out of luck for all the night peoples.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    Are you required to go to a certain area for your break? Or, can you just go backstage, find a picnic table and read your book or eat your lunch? I've only been backstage at WDW, so I have no idea what it looks like at DL. It's an honest question.
    Fair question. However to get to many of these backstage areas require going onstage. Not every store, attraction, food location has a 'back door' that a CM can slip out and enjoy their picnic tables. Futhermore, during breaks and lunches you are not supposed to be in your area.
    Some areas this is possible, such as the Haunted Mansion has its own breakroom, but this is very much the minority of situations. Simply put, a vast majority of the time any time a CM wants to go on break they will have to exit their area, go on stage, and then locate their nearest backstage exit.
    This is how Disneyland is designed.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

It's threads like this that make my fellow CMs who I work with feel that MiceChat is a joke. I have defended this group oh so many times. I've been with this group pretty much since the beginning and way before becoming a CM. But here's the thing. Threads like this one or the "Disney Look" thread makes CMs feel like they are being picked apart. A friend of mine said he found it hilarious that there was a CM appreciation thread and yet right below that was a thread blasting Cm's work ethics. Any wonder why we feel attacked and really unappreciated. Yeah, I may carry a backpack with my clothes, lunch and a sketchbook in it. Those who know me know that I go out of my way to make the day magical for the guests and create good show. So now I'm being told it's Bad show for me to carry my belongings in a backpack to my worksite??!! So, the posters in this thread say "we are bashing management not the CMs" Ok, so you basically want management to start saying we can not carry our belongings onstage thus making things harder on us. I personally love working at the park and the smiles I get each and every day make my job worth it. I for one, go out of my way to help a guest when walking to my worksite or away from at the end of my shift. It's common courtesy and a love for the place NOT because Disney says I have to. I bring my lunch to work every day and have to carry it to my worksite every day. You don't want me to carry my lunch across the park fine then you buy my lunch everyday. With gas prices the way they are I can't afford to buy lunch on any given day. I maintain the magic each and every day. Yes, I wear sunglasses when working outside attractions. The bright sunlight hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. And I carry a backpack to work. And I'm being told it's taking away from the magic and I'm creating a bad show. Though I made many great friends here I still have to stand up and side with my fellow CMs. Enough with this nitpicking. As the old adage goes..."Unless you have walked a mile in our shoes......."
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Magic Making

From what I know, Disneyland doesnt have a Disney Look Program anymore. If you look on the DCP website for Disneyland, there arent any guidelines listed like on the WDW one.

This is from the WDW Disney look guidelines:

Good Judgment and Stage Presence

As with all of your duties and responsibilities as a Walt Disney WorldŽ; Cast Member, you are expected to demonstrate professionalism and good judgment at all times related to your appearance. For this reason, if you are ever in doubt about the appropriateness of your appearance, please keep in mind that anything that could be considered distracting or not in the best interest of our Disney show will not be permitted.

No matter where you work or what your role is, anytime you are in a public area, you are 'on stage.' Your attitude and performance are direct reflections on the quality of our Disney show. It's those things that you don't always think of that detract from our guests' enjoyment--chewing gum, having poor posture, using a cell phone...or frowning. Like these actions, smoking and eating on stage are also strictly prohibited. All of this adds up to one of the most important aspects of your role in our show: good stage presence.

Please keep in mind that when you're in costume walking to and from your work location, these guidelines for on stage presence still apply. Nametags and full costumes (shirts tucked in, ties tied, etc.) must be worn whenever you are in the presence of guests. Nametags and/or costumes may not be worn while visiting our property as a guest, so engaging in any activities such as shopping or eating in on stage areas is not permitted in costume or while wearing your nametag, even if you're "off the clock." When necessary, ask your area leader or the Cast Image and Appearance Team for clarification on these policies.

Non-costumed Cast Members must remain especially aware of their appearance on stage. In addition to our guests' high expectations for professionalism, Cast Members look to you as a role model. When participating in meetings or other activities backstage, even when not on Disney property, you are representing the Company and naturally, all Disney Look guidelines still apply. For our non-costumed Cast, it is important to realize your "stage" is a very broad one!

The only things that can alter these looks are this:

Medical Restrictions/Religious Accommodation Requests

Requests for an exception to the Disney Look policy for medical reasons must be presented to the Health Services Department with supporting medical documentation.
    • A copy of the request and medical information will be retained at Health Services.
    • A statement of approved restrictions will be issued at Health Services to be delivered to your manager.
    Any request for an exception to the Disney Look policy for religious beliefs or questions regarding the accommodation of medical restrictions or religious beliefs must be directed to the Cast Image and Appearance office.

Entertainers

If an exception to the appearance guidelines is required for a particular role in a staged show or production, approval must be obtained from the Vice President of Entertainment and the Cast Image and Appearance Team. Otherwise, all entertainers must adhere to the appearance standards as set forth in this manual.

Appearance Policy Discipline

The appearance guidelines contained in this handbook have been established for the Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort and may be changed at any time. Failure of any Cast Member to adhere to these or any subsequently established or modified standards will result in appropriate disciplinary action, not excluding termination. Cast Members, including those covered by a collective bargaining agreement, may be disciplined when the Appearance Policy is not followed. Ensuring consistent administration of the Walt Disney WorldŽ Appearance Policy is the responsibility of Management, the Cast Image and Appearance Team, your Human Resources representative and Employee Relations. Specific questionable deviations from the policy should be referred to the Cast Image and Appearance Team for further assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyLD View Post
    From what I know, Disneyland doesnt have a Disney Look Program anymore. If you look on the DCP website for Disneyland, there arent any guidelines listed like on the WDW one.

This is from the WDW Disney look guidelines:

Good Judgment and Stage Presence

As with all of your duties and responsibilities as a Walt Disney WorldŽ; Cast Member, you are expected to demonstrate professionalism and good judgment at all times related to your appearance. For this reason, if you are ever in doubt about the appropriateness of your appearance, please keep in mind that anything that could be considered distracting or not in the best interest of our Disney show will not be permitted.

No matter where you work or what your role is, anytime you are in a public area, you are 'on stage.' Your attitude and performance are direct reflections on the quality of our Disney show. It's those things that you don't always think of that detract from our guests' enjoyment--chewing gum, having poor posture, using a cell phone...or frowning. Like these actions, smoking and eating on stage are also strictly prohibited. All of this adds up to one of the most important aspects of your role in our show: good stage presence.

Please keep in mind that when you're in costume walking to and from your work location, these guidelines for on stage presence still apply. Nametags and full costumes (shirts tucked in, ties tied, etc.) must be worn whenever you are in the presence of guests. Nametags and/or costumes may not be worn while visiting our property as a guest, so engaging in any activities such as shopping or eating in on stage areas is not permitted in costume or while wearing your nametag, even if you're "off the clock." When necessary, ask your area leader or the Cast Image and Appearance Team for clarification on these policies.

Non-costumed Cast Members must remain especially aware of their appearance on stage. In addition to our guests' high expectations for professionalism, Cast Members look to you as a role model. When participating in meetings or other activities backstage, even when not on Disney property, you are representing the Company and naturally, all Disney Look guidelines still apply. For our non-costumed Cast, it is important to realize your "stage" is a very broad one!

The only things that can alter these looks are this:

Medical Restrictions/Religious Accommodation Requests

Requests for an exception to the Disney Look policy for medical reasons must be presented to the Health Services Department with supporting medical documentation.
    • A copy of the request and medical information will be retained at Health Services.
    • A statement of approved restrictions will be issued at Health Services to be delivered to your manager.
    Any request for an exception to the Disney Look policy for religious beliefs or questions regarding the accommodation of medical restrictions or religious beliefs must be directed to the Cast Image and Appearance office.

Entertainers

If an exception to the appearance guidelines is required for a particular role in a staged show or production, approval must be obtained from the Vice President of Entertainment and the Cast Image and Appearance Team. Otherwise, all entertainers must adhere to the appearance standards as set forth in this manual.

Appearance Policy Discipline

The appearance guidelines contained in this handbook have been established for the Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort and may be changed at any time. Failure of any Cast Member to adhere to these or any subsequently established or modified standards will result in appropriate disciplinary action, not excluding termination. Cast Members, including those covered by a collective bargaining agreement, may be disciplined when the Appearance Policy is not followed. Ensuring consistent administration of the Walt Disney WorldŽ Appearance Policy is the responsibility of Management, the Cast Image and Appearance Team, your Human Resources representative and Employee Relations. Specific questionable deviations from the policy should be referred to the Cast Image and Appearance Team for further assessment.
    Er...the DLR still has Disney Look. Just because we don't list it on our CP website doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's still included in every New Hire packet and on constant reminders around the resort.

In fact, I'm looking at my copy of it right now. It's the same as you posted above, just replace "Walt Disney World" with "Disneyland", and change the names of Departments and offices.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    It's threads like this that make my fellow CMs who I work with feel that MiceChat is a joke. I have defended this group oh so many times. I've been with this group pretty much since the beginning and way before becoming a CM. But here's the thing. Threads like this one or the "Disney Look" thread makes CMs feel like they are being picked apart.

You are being picked apart and it is wrong, I doubt that the vast majority of posters in this thread are treated to the same level of observation and standards at their place of employment. It is just a bit hypocritical to say CMs are creating a bad show when they are working with the limitations their employer imposes.

I think all my comments were towards the lack of foresight Walt put into the welfare and logistics of his employees when building the park. To blame CMs for this is ludicrous.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Ok, so you basically want management to start saying we can not carry our belongings onstage thus making things harder on us.
    I don't know what the others are saying, but my point is that management should do things to make it easier for CMs to limit the amount of onstage exposure to things like backpacks, lunch bags, or things like that. Note that I used the word limit and not eliminate.

It isn't the CM's fault at all. They have to do what they have to in order to be sure they are not late from breaks or lunches.

I'm not a CM so I have no idea how to fix this, but placing more lockers and food and break areas near where the CM's work would help out. Also giving CMs more time for breaks without deducting any hours from their workday of course would be ideal.

I don't fault the CM's at all. Well, I do place blame on certain CM's and those are the managers who enforce such unrealistic break policies so that what we are left with are things that prompted this thread in the first place.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm sure the 15th time it's been stated won't help, but I'll try again.

This is not about saying CMs are bad, lazy or anything else. It is just asking the question are backpacks bad show. This is a MANAGEMENT issue not a CM issue.

And frankly, if this thread is the reason CMs laugh at MiceChat, they have very thin skin. There have been so many other threads that might raise the ire of certain people. If this thread is bugging you, you are looking WAY too much into it.

• Banned User

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved." -Quote taken directly from Walt Disney himself.

So, if the genius who built the parks nit picked his own creations, what do you think he expected his visitors to do?

As for purses and backpacks, a Disneyland host or hostess can easily improve the show by carrying the bag in his or her hand as he or she walks on stage. No items should really ever be worn over the costumes.
    I don't carry a backpack, but I do carry a bag that I will put my lunch bag and other personal items in, such as a book, keys and the like. My issue with carrying my purse in my hand, is that it is not a safe way to carry an item that I value. If my wallet and such is in my purse, I am not going to hold it in my hand where someone could easily reach in or grab it from me. My purse will always be worn on my should, tucked under my arm and close to my body.

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

"Nit picking" is otherwise referred to as "paying attention to details". It all depends on your perspective. Ironically, Disneyland is what it is because Walt was a "nit picker".
    -Tim

• "I Break Things"

Here is the thing, if there is enough fuss over it (which I highly doubt) the Management decision will likely be to take them away. I love all the concepts of themed bags or selling specific bags, but the current Management has generally gone with an all or nothing concept.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

It's threads like this that make my fellow CMs who I work with feel that MiceChat is a joke. I have defended this group oh so many times. I've been with this group pretty much since the beginning and way before becoming a CM. But here's the thing. Threads like this one or the "Disney Look" thread makes CMs feel like they are being picked apart. A friend of mine said he found it hilarious that there was a CM appreciation thread and yet right below that was a thread blasting Cm's work ethics. Any wonder why we feel attacked and really unappreciated. Yeah, I may carry a backpack with my clothes, lunch and a sketchbook in it. Those who know me know that I go out of my way to make the day magical for the guests and create good show. So now I'm being told it's Bad show for me to carry my belongings in a backpack to my worksite??!! So, the posters in this thread say "we are bashing management not the CMs" Ok, so you basically want management to start saying we can not carry our belongings onstage thus making things harder on us. I personally love working at the park and the smiles I get each and every day make my job worth it. I for one, go out of my way to help a guest when walking to my worksite or away from at the end of my shift. It's common courtesy and a love for the place NOT because Disney says I have to. I bring my lunch to work every day and have to carry it to my worksite every day. You don't want me to carry my lunch across the park fine then you buy my lunch everyday. With gas prices the way they are I can't afford to buy lunch on any given day. I maintain the magic each and every day. Yes, I wear sunglasses when working outside attractions. The bright sunlight hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. And I carry a backpack to work. And I'm being told it's taking away from the magic and I'm creating a bad show. Though I made many great friends here I still have to stand up and side with my fellow CMs. Enough with this nitpicking. As the old adage goes..."Unless you have walked a mile in our shoes......."

Now, I KNOW you're a great guy and a great CM. I've hung out with you on numerous occasions but it's posts like this that make me wonder if you're even reading the thread. The "nitpicking" has long ended and it's become an open discussion about how everything works back stage and on. It's best at this point to educate rather than to turn a blind eye and tell people to turn away.

I HAVE walked a mile in your shoes for many years. And it IS bad show. That doesn't mean you're doing a bad job! It just means that the culture at Disneyland has changed and it's an element we'll have to learn to live with.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Disney could reopen the gate on the West side and provide more direct transportation to that part of the property. Disney could also have more trams operate along the "backbone" of the park to shuttle employees from one area to another. And, West-side cast members could avoid crossing at Town Square by crossing at Central Plaza more often, instead.

A Town Square tunnel, like the one between the Carousel Theater and Central Plaza, would certainly be nice, but such a thing might not be necessary.

Trams specifically for CM's with backpacks? You've got to be joking. You think DL will pay for trams for that very reason?

Sorry, but these are really bad suggestions for something that really is not an issue.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast