Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

CMs with Backpacks/Purses-Bad Show?

Ive noticed lately that more and more (still in costume) CMs walk through the park once their shifts are over carrying backpacks and/or purses as they head backstage.

Now, Im not a CM (yet! WDW CP fall '08!!) so it may just be a necessity for the CMs to keep their backpacks/purses at their worksites instead of backstage, but i dont seem to recall ever seeing this (much) in years past.

nonetheless, for some reason, i feel seeing a frontierland CM carrying a modern day backpack ruins the immersion aspect far more than seeing the same CM, backpackless, briefly passing through fantasyland. The modernity of the backpacks/purses just ruins the illusion for me.

what do you all think? bad show? or am i making an issue out of something that shouldnt be all that big of a deal?
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Re: CMs with Backpacks/Purses-Bad Show?

Disneyland CM's have no other choice. The original park has no tunnels underground with access to each attraction. There is simply no other choice but to walk across different lands with your belongings.

Please dont try to say that CM's should be given one less right while working in the park.

If you dont like it, look away.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by nolimit View Post
    Disneyland CM's have no other choice. The original park has no tunnels underground with access to each attraction. There is simply no other choice but to walk across different lands with your belongings.

Please dont try to say that CM's should be given one less right while working in the park.

I don't think this is quite the "Disney way" at all. Formerly, off duty CMs were not allowed to wear their costumes AT ALL after their shift ended. Even when on-duty, Walt wouldn't allow a Frontierland CM to wander into Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. It was a "bad show."

Lately, CMs have been allowed (with much attendant controversy) to wear their costumes home. This has led to a lot of anomalous sightings.

To say, "Just turn your head." is to ignore that the guest has paid dearly for an immersive experience and Disney has promised to provide that experience. CMs are there for the pleasure of the guest.

You can't store your modern personal stuff in a locker at the place you change into your costume?

Perhaps a suggestion should be put in the "suggestion box" that CMs who must walk "onstage" with their personal possessions while in costume should be provided with an appropriately themed bag to hide their modern stuff.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• =)

I don't see it happening much. ::shrug:: But as nolimit pointed out, options are typically limited without a Utilidor system. EDIT: But I like this idea!

Perhaps a suggestion should be put in the "suggestion box" that CMs who must walk "onstage" with their personal possessions while in costume should be provided with an appropriately themed bag to hide their modern stuff.

• Circle of Ancients

I don't see a problem with it, considering I probably wouldn't even notice a CM with a backpack amidst the millions of people with backpacks in the park. Now if the CM was Tom Sawyer or Davy Crocket, then I would notice and probably have a problem, but a regular CM... No.

• Seasick

Would I consider it a huge deal? Probably not. Should backpacks/purses be allowed on stage? No. This to me is one of those "declining by degrees" things. The immersiveness of the show is just a little less so as a result of this one issue, and it contributes to an overall decline of the DL experience.

They're called cast members for a reason: on stage = appropriate costume.

Were not talking about leaving property in costume. The issue is walking across the park with their belongings. In my area, we have lockers in our break area for our bags. There are very few people who actually change in to their costumes every day at work, so the costuming lockers arent used all that much. There is no other choice but to carry your stuff, as well as walk across lands.

Being allowed to wear the costumes outside the park arent the biggest issue in the world. Nametags are not to be worn, therefore eliminating the Disneyland attachment to the person. And if you didnt frequent Disneyland, you most likely would never even know that it was a Disneyland costume.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Walt is gone now. Things have obviously changed, just as everything in the world does. I realize Disneyland is supposed to be a magical place and all, seeing as Im part of it, but there are some things that just have to be accepted.

• Banned User

I agree, there people, they have belongings, gee wiz, talk about another nit pick.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    I don't think this is quite the "Disney way" at all. Formerly, off duty CMs were not allowed to wear their costumes AT ALL after their shift ended. Even when on-duty, Walt wouldn't allow a Frontierland CM to wander into Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. It was a "bad show."

Lately, CMs have been allowed (with much attendant controversy) to wear their costumes home. This has led to a lot of anomalous sightings.

To say, "Just turn your head." is to ignore that the guest has paid dearly for an immersive experience and Disney has promised to provide that experience. CMs are there for the pleasure of the guest.

You can't store your modern personal stuff in a locker at the place you change into your costume?

Great post, Tom.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

This instance of bad show has become increasingly problematic over the years. Backpacks and purses can be carried on stage, but Disneyland hosts and hostesses should never wear these items in front of the guests.

I used to cringe every time I saw a caretaker of The Haunted Mansion traipsing across Town Square with a backpack strapped to his morning suit. Doing these kinds of things defeats the purpose of the costume, itself.

Technically, wearing bags contradicts The Disney Look guidelines, but Disney management should issue a more explicitly-stated policy.

•   
    • Super Hero

Back in the Golden Days, Cast Members were given backstage lockers near Wardrobe Issue. They could keep their costumes and personal belongings in their locker for the entire duration of their employment (except for the twice yearly locker clear-outs; boy, were those interesting! *ahem*). Cast Members would come to work in street clothes, change in the locker rooms, stow their things in their locker, and head off to their work locations. You didn't see Cast Members toting purses and backpacks across the Park because they had lockers.

Space being at a premium, the locker rooms were done away with. Cast Members now take their costumes home and arrive for their shifts in costume. Small day-use-only lockers are provided near work locations, so purses and backpacks must be taken across the Park to the location to be stowed.

It didn't happen when Cast Members had lockers issued to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

What about the plaid I saw today wandering through Fantasyland with a backpack... while on her cellphone? Now THAT'S bad show.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

As I said...times change. Get used to it.

And the plaid, well that was most likely you just not being very informed of policy. Plaids are issued phones and can use them at any time, any place in the park. They deal with situations where a phone is needed. If they run out of phones to issue, then their own personal phone can be used in its place.

Look for the managers as well...they have their phones out and in use alll the time these days.

Come on, you should know these things. You are the ones nit-picking.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

As I said...times change. Get used to it.

And the plaid, well that was most likely you just not being very informed of policy. Plaids are issued phones and can use them at any time, any place in the park. They deal with situations where a phone is needed. If they run out of phones to issue, then their own personal phone can be used in its place.

Look for the managers as well...they have their phones out and in use alll the time these days.

Come on, you should know these things. You are the ones nit-picking.

Meh, how should I know. I just know what the rules used to be. How am I supposed to know all the rules that broke since then?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Rules that broke...or rules that changed?

Two very different things.

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast