• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Single Rider Line on Space?

Upon finally riding Space Mountain (which I loved!), I quickly noticed its out of control waits. Yesterday, I was there at 8:15 and it already had a 40 minute posted wait, and Fastpasses have been consistently selling out by noon, with Stand-by waits between 120 and 180 minutes. Absolutely insane. So, I was thinking to myself, why doesn't this ride have a Single Rider line?! I constantly saw empty seats on trains, and the ride is very nicely set up with a wide exit corridor that could hold a single rider line and greatly decrease wait times for some of us. I couldn't believe it didn't already have an SRL, myself, since it would be incredibly simple to integrate.

By the way, it's fun to note train loads of guests returning with everyone applauding...I saw this a lot. Nice job, WDI, and for those of you who were having trouble seeing the asteroid at the top...the bottom of it is now very clearly lit allowing everyong to see its bright paint job. Even my mom, who doesn't have the best vision, could clearly see it.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• CM for 4 years!

Re: Single Rider Line on Space?

They can't do single rider on Space Mountain for the same reason that they can't on indy-- you see the safety video while you are in the queue, and if you enter through the exit, you miss the safety video and thus have a loophold through which to sue Disney's ***.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    They can't do single rider on Space Mountain for the same reason that they can't on indy-- you see the safety video while you are in the queue, and if you enter through the exit, you miss the safety video and thus have a loophold through which to sue Disney's ***.
    And they could easily add a safety video to that area in the exit of Space just like they could on Indy. They don't because they are being cheap. This is more of an issue for Space, since it is getting wait times in excess of 180 minutes, which is absolutely insane. Indy doesn't get like that (any more).
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

actually.. don't they have some moniters at the exit... that they could pull in groups (like the wheel chair line..) and do it this way???

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

But there are no "air gates" on the exit side.... If they wanted to place a Single Rider line, they would have to use the same ramp that the folks that need special assistance use... and they only allow one group on that ramp at a time, due to the fact it gets narrow in some places...

Good idea, but no easy way to do it.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    But there are no "air gates" on the exit side.... If they wanted to place a Single Rider line, they would have to use the same ramp that the folks that need special assistance use... and they only allow one group on that ramp at a time, due to the fact it gets narrow in some places...

Good idea, but no easy way to do it.....
    Are the gates absolutely necessary, though? It never used to have them, and they could just set up a little queue back there for singles that has a chain across the front, and CMs could just open the chain to allow a single rider to hop into a train once the train stops. It would cause a pretty negligible increase in ride cycle time, but I'm pretty sure the increase in hourly capacity thanks to having every seat full would more than make up for that (and at least increase the number of guests able to ride Space...I'm pretty sure vacationers like me, only those with even less time than I had in the park--say, a 2- or 3-day trip, are not going to be able to wait 3 hours in line for this, and they may or may not have the ability to get to the park before FPs sell out around 11 am). Clearly, the ideal SRL would end up on the same side of the track as all the other guests boarding, but that wouldn't be possible w/o some sort of eyesore of a bridge, which is not worth putting in. They would just need to make it clear to those folks in parties with an odd number of guests that the folks sitting alone in a row need to sit in the left seat. It would clearly take a little work from the CMs, but it would be worth it, and I'm sure it would substantially decrease guest complaints (with as much as Space has been breaking down, I know guests waiting in the 3 hour stand-by lines have been less than pleased). It just seems like the kinda think Matt Ouimet would find a way to work out to improve guest experience...especially now that the other major, "big kid" oriented coaster, California Screamin, will now be closed for an extended period. I view Space as being very much like Test Track...it breaks down a lot, Fastpasses sell out by noon, and has atrocious wait times, and I don't know that I would ever ride Test Track if it didn't have a SRL (I am not a huge fan of the whole "pick up a Fastpass at 10 am for 9 pm" deal...what's the point in getting a park hopper if you have to stay in one park all day?).
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Shubisha

No one watches the safety video :P The safety video is so generic anyways it doesn't even touch on stuff that might be related to space mountain. The queue in general(the part with the narrow steel walls), while cool looking, lacks a feel to it. I think they need to pump up the AC more and make it darker again.

But as for single rider. They don't need safety gates for single riders. They just have to keep on the far end of that exit walkway(similar to how there's that line for california screamin if you don't go through the elevators) and then call them over when they're ready to load one.

Single riders could potentially enter in the same way Guests using wheelchairs do.

The groupers at Space Mountain might find single riders really convenient. Boarding at Space Mountain is insane and often causes cascade stops. If every seat were filled, the deltas the weights of the rockets add would be more uniform, and the entire Attraction would be easier to operate.

The party of one would have to wait in a queue near the restrooms and be directed to proceed to the boarding platform when the grouper needed that Guest. I am sure there is a way to configure Space Mountain for single riders.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 08-12-2005 at 01:50 AM.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

What they really need to do is remove fast pass entirely from the ride. Before fast pass was turned on, it had 45-60 minute waits now its three times longer.

By the way, how does a cast member decide how many fast pass vs standby to allow inside?
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Shubisha

If the line is past a certain point, they stop letting in standbyes. For space it seems to be the 2nd ramp hallway. I usually end up there when they're still blocking standbyes and letting fastpasses only through(Like a little bit before the tribute door)

It is an excellent idea, though. It could cut down on the standby line and fill a lot of empty seats. Don't get rid of the fastpass, though.

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Just a note. They DO have a safety video playing at the exit of the ride.