Clothing for early May?

I looked at the weatherunderground site and it looks like it is usually rather cool still this time of year.

I do not like wearing bulk. And I especially do not like carrying things around when @ the parks. (I have a very small purse and that is it - no backpack/messenger bag etc -- and I'm far too large to tie a sweater or whatever around my waist when it warms up.)

I was thinking jersey pants (lightweight - not sweatpants) and a t-shirt. Will I likely be too cold in the morning and evening?

If I were to pack a dress (made for WDW last Sept - loose fitting, lightweight cotton), again, would I be too cold?

I know it's hit and miss and weather can change, but I just hate the idea of wearing layers. Or, more specifically, dealing with said layers as they are removed.

Weatherunderground.com also seemed to indicate that I wouldn't need much in the way of rain gear, but I'm sure seeing a lot of evening rain when I watch "big brother after dark" on Showtime. (live feeds from LA)

Thanks for any clothing/packing tips you can share!
    Robin

• no flash photography...

Re: Clothing for early May?

I wear either jeans or capris with a t-shirt and a jacket. When it gets warm I either carry the jacket or put it in a locker.

The weather is hard to judge. I live in southern california, but we have different temperatures than down in the valleys.

• Rock Star Minion

You are not properly prepared.
    You need to prepare for 30 degrees of difference in temperature.
    You have three choices:
    1. Rent a locker.
    2. Carry a backpack.
    3. Make someone else carry the backpack (this is my job at the parks for my family).

If you still insist on neither of the above:
    As many of the attractions are indoors (and not freeze zones as WDW's indoors are), if you can handle a little coolness, then go light and live with it. You'll be moving a lot and that should keep you warm enough. Go light on bottoms (legs moving provide warmth) but maybe light long sleeves on top.

It will likely not rain from now until October.

Last bit of advice: bring it all, and decide that day, after checking the weather online (or the morning "news" might suffice), what to wear and what to bring. Heck, take stuff in the car with you (if you're driving and parking), and see what the weather is like when you get there.
    Worst case scenario: foggy and cold in the morning, maybe 50 degrees, then warming up to 85 degrees by 4PM. And that hardly sucks.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

If it's warm during the day (85-90 degrees) you can indeed see temps drop down to the low 60's at night. But even more odd than that, it can be the high 60's during the day and only drop to the low 60's at night.

Unless your going in the middle of July/August, prepare for cool nights. And even then you can still get cool nights.

In May I suggest starting the day in a shirt and capris with a zipper sweatshirt. My arms get cold and it will be cool in the mornings and at night. Then I get a locker midday.
    I was never a fan of the locker until the last trip we took. Now I think it is the best $7 I spent. I was comfortable all day and I did not have to lug anything I did not want to.

This one time on Friends . . .

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Its simple... in los angeles you need to sets of clothes for the whole day .... cool ones for when the suns out and warm clothes for when the sun sets the temps drop about 40 degrees!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

or warm clothes for when it's basically warm outside, but the breeze/wind is cold....like what happened on last saturday as soon as I put my jacket away.

I'm a fan of the lockers also. It's so much better than lugging stuff around.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Clothing for early May?
    Yes, you should wear clothing in early May.

Sediment - Clearly, I am not properly prepared yet - that is why I'm asking! ;-) (with a whopping 23 days to go! -- for WDW I'd already be half way packed!)

Matt... what can I say - there's one in every crowd! Smarty pants! LOL

Sounds like the locker is the best way to go. I'm traveling with a friend and it isn't fair to ask her to lug my stuff around. (my hubby I'd have do it, but not my friend... tee hee)

Thanks for the responses.

Oh yeah - no car - we're staying at the GC

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinGal View Post

Oh yeah - no car - we're staying at the GC
    if your stay at the gch I wouldn't even worry about a locker. i would just go back to the room and get the jacket if I get cold. We have never rented a locker when staying there. It is a very convenient hotel.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinGal View Post
    Matt... what can I say - there's one in every crowd! Smarty pants! LOL
    Actually you'd be surprised at how many there are in this crowd.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Yes, you should wear clothing in early May.
    I am so happy that I'm not the only one to interpret the title this way.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    if your stay at the gch I wouldn't even worry about a locker. i would just go back to the room and get the jacket if I get cold. We have never rented a locker when staying there. It is a very convenient hotel.
    I'm just a bit worried about my plantar fascitis -- the fewer steps necessary the better. And if we get a room at the far end of the hotel, well...
    I'll probably be hurting after the first day - no need to make it worse. It already feels like I'm walking on flaming hot needles half the time. (sorry - not trying for a pity party - just what I have to deal with)

since you know all the details and conditions your dealing with then you know how to make the plans/decisions which are best for you. Have fun on your trip.

Thanks
    Robin