Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Will Abe Lincoln be back?

I have been waiting a long time to see Abe Lincoln again. will he be back or are they planning something else again. I really think he needs to be back already!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: will Abe Lincoln be back?

Read Al's post today on MiceAge.

• Hiding in the shadows

I was very excited to see the write up on Mice Age. Mr. Lincoln is one show that my family and I always saw every visit. Its not just nostalgia of the park, but of our country and I will be very happy if it comes back, it will be part of our plans on any visit to the park.

A little piece of heaven

• Troublemaker

It would be nice if it was a different show (or the older show) -- anything but the lame stereo headphones.

Mr. Lincoln was one of my favorite attractions before the rennovation. Since they added those headsets, though, I've gone twice. It lost a lot of its dignity there.

• "I Break Things"

As interesting as it is, it seems very out of place. This is a show better suited for a museum then Disneyland. Then again Knott's has Independence Hall so there ya go.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

I for one loved it, and so did my then 9 year old. in fact we went in a few times on the trip before he was removed. we want to see him again and hope he is there when we go this fall.

• The one, the only...

I have thought about all the possible options that might go in the Opera House that would work given its location right near the entrance and the size of the building. To be honest, I think that Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is still the best use of that building. It should be updated with the latest in technology and go back to the original Lincoln speech that warned that only we, as Americans, can cause the destruction of our country, not outside invaders. That continues to be timeless words that all Americans need to hear.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I have been waiting a long time to see Abe Lincoln again. will he be back or are they planning something else again. I really think he needs to be back already!
    I realize that Lincoln was a popular President and all, but I don't think he will be back. I mean, when he was shot at Ford's Theater in Washington, he died from his wounds, and besides, that was way back in 1865, so even if he'd lived, he'd be dead by now naturally. Give it up already. The man's dead and all the other Republican candidates conceded to McCain.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I realize that Lincoln was a popular President and all, but I don't think he will be back. I mean, when he was shot at Ford's Theater in Washington, he died from his wounds, and besides, that was way back in 1865, so even if he'd lived, he'd be dead by now naturally. Give it up already. The man's dead and all the other Republican candidates conceded to McCain.
    give it up already? look... some folks like past rides, people mover, limo etc. I liked the Abe Lincoln I saw and enjoyed. sorry if that bugs you.... and I see your into retro, old styling to some died a long time ago.... give it up

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I have thought about all the possible options that might go in the Opera House that would work given its location right near the entrance and the size of the building. To be honest, I think that Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is still the best use of that building. It should be updated with the latest in technology and go back to the original Lincoln speech that warned that only we, as Americans, can cause the destruction of our country, not outside invaders. That continues to be timeless words that all Americans need to hear.
    IMO there are a variety of venues including Vaudeville, Silent Films, period inventions or even a period magic show based on the illusions of Houdini. Any combination of these would suit both the time period and theme a great deal better then Abe! There is a thread on here concerning this that is likely either locked, or collecting a lot of dust.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    As interesting as it is, it seems very out of place. This is a show better suited for a museum then Disneyland. Then again Knott's has Independence Hall so there ya go.
    Uhh along with Edison, Lincoln was Walt Disney's favorite historical character and this AA figure was the first full size human AA figure Walt developed it was for the 64 worlds fair and led to all the human AA's to follow like Pirates and Carousel of Progress, so IT IS very relevant to Main St and Disneyland

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Uhh along with Edison, Lincoln was Walt Disney's favorite historical character and this AA figure was the first full size human AA figure Walt developed it was for the 64 worlds fair and led to all the human AA's to follow like Pirates and Carousel of Progress
    I am sure the Smithsonian would love to have it on exhibit for exactly this reason. The fact that Disney admired Edison opens the door to the possibility of another show. Disney also enjoyed magic, Houdini would be another great choice. Disney also enjoyed laughter, so Vaudeville would be HIGHLY appropriate given the time period. And we all know how much Disney enjoyed the magic of film, so silent films would also be a viable option. In short there are MANY possibilities. It is not that I do not appreciate Lincoln, I enjoyed that show immensely, but if you are to argue placement and theme you will loose.

so IT IS very relevant to Main St and Disneyland
    Really? Because the last time I checked Main Street is specifically themed around 1900's Small Town America. In short, T.R. would likely be the correct individual to portray if you feel the need for a Presidential figure of that time period!

• "I Break Things"

Re: Will Abe Lincoln be back?

http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...how-86350.html
    Brief explaination of what could easily go there. When you consider how many things Edison invented you could do an entire show based on science and invention! Another on classic Victorian magic, specifically the illusions of Houdini. Yet another show could be based on Vaudeville, given the time period. So, yeah, there are other options.

As to the Presidential comment.
    Lincoln served as President March 4th 1861 to April 15th 1865
    T.R. served as President September 14th 1901 to March 4th 1909
    Main Street per the Disneyland Tour is centered on small town 1900's America... I rest my case.

• Minion

It's funny, this has always felt like the one exception to the Disneyland is not a museum cry you always hear from folks. This actually feels like a museum piece that just SHOULD be there. As long as I've been going to Disneyland, I always see Lincoln if it's open. I've missed it.

• "I Break Things"

For the sake of argument

Houdini died in 1926, debatable about when the "height of his fame" actually was but he toured Europe in 1900 and introduced the Chinese Water Chamber in 1912... so it fits!

Edison died in 1931 major accomplishments span from the late 1870's to the early 1910's... so again it fits!

Vaudeville's height of popularity is considered the 1890's to the early 1920's when it quickly slid downhill... yet again it fits!

Silent Film spanned from 1888 to 1927 with the introduction of sound with the Jazz Singer, by 1929 sound dominated... this too fits the time period specified by Main Street.

Lincoln died in1865... am I the only one who sees a discrepancy in theme here? I do not doubt that Lincoln was a great president, or an amazing individual, but the time is completely off. We are talking about 25 years just to make it to 1890's, 35 years to hit the magic 1900 so commonly referred to when speaking of Main Street. It would be one thing if it wasn't noticeable, but there are automobiles driving down streets that are converting from gas lamps to electric lights! Sorry but there are plenty of other venues that would do far more to promote the theme and likely have a much higher attendance then Abe! I miss him, and I will continue to miss him, but this is one time I actually would support a change.

I challenge anyone to come up with a logical answer as to why Lincoln should be brought back, or how it enhances the theme and time period established by Main Street. Again I say logical, "Walt put it there" is not an excuse to bring back what he may or may not have taken out himself. I am not about museums, or about tearing up classics, but I am about maintaining theme because without that support Disneyland ceases to be a THEMEpark.
    Last edited by techskip; 04-08-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast