Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Why not put "Mickey's PhilharMagic" in the Carthay Circle Theater

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Seeing as how PhilarMagic is really the only reason to go to the Magic Kingdom in Florida, it'd save people a lot of travel money if they could see it in Anaheim.
    I think that it should stay at WDW and Hong Kong.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Fairies and Mermaids!

I'm a little mixed on this subject. On the one had, I want to see this movie, but I don't want it in the Carthay Circle Theater. On the other, I think that something like muppets would need to be removed for it to happen, because DCA has a whole messa films and shows. I would rather it be at Disneyland though. Of course it would be optimum if we got something original, so I dunno really, so I'll just shut up then.

Remember, Dreams come true!... and mermaids are hot, even on Halloween.

• Animatronic

Put Philharmagic in Toon Town. It's a natural there and Toon Town only has one real attraction.

Put something completely awesome in the Carthay.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    I think that it should stay at WDW and Hong Kong.
    Totally. I mean... the whole point of the $1.1 billion make-over is to make DCA more of a stand alone unique park. Throwing in a cloned movie that is already years old really is a waste of energy.

Philharmagic is going to be at WDW for some time and if it makes the trip more worth it then that's how it should be.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Totally. I mean... the whole point of the $1.1 billion make-over is to make DCA more of a stand alone unique park. Throwing in a cloned movie that is already years old really is a waste of energy.

Philharmagic is going to be at WDW for some time and if it makes the trip more worth it then that's how it should be.
    Agreed. DCA is basically as of right now, WDW lite.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    It would take such a great, new symbolic icon of the new DCA and quickly diminish it by housing a cartoon show. If Phiharmagic were installed there, it would feel like another classic DCA misstep.
    While normally I would agree, I think in this situation Philharmagic would work. Remember, what makes the Carthay Circle theater important for Disney is that it hosted the premier of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, a "cartoon show" as you put it. Disney got to where he did by making animation. Sure, his live action movies and television shows were wonderful and epically successful, but Walt was the first to say that it was all started by a mouse.

What I would personally like to see is a Philharmagic that is ever-changing, just like the original premise of Fantasia. I just posted this in the other thread so bear with me if this is a repeat for you. Fantasia was another one of Walt's dreams, an interactive theater experience alike no other. Philharmagic is a modern embodiment of that dream.

Plus, thematically it works, all one has to do is give the show a very Fantasia-esque aura about it and boom, you're in 1940. Now, if they incorporate newer shows and characters into the different versions of the attraction the justification is easy. Remember Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Some characters appear in the movie that takes place in a year before the years of their respective films. The story is that they've always been there, their story just hasn't been told yet.

I imagine the show like this...
    The year, 1947. You enter the Carthay Circle theater, home to the 1938 premier of Snow White. You are here to watch the feature presentation of the Hollywood Philharmagic Orchestra conducted by Maestro Mickey Mouse presented in Fantasound. You are seated inside the auditorium for this special presentation of picture and sound, but when the Maestro leaves his hat at the podium, you never know what might happen!

When I think that Philharmagic should be in DCA, I never ever think that it should be a carbon copy of Florida's. I think that the attraction's premise and style are very unique and entertaining, and I think that format can be expanded. The most important point I made in my original post and the point I am trying to make now is that the 4-D format, presented in an ever-changing way follows the precedent set by Disney when he released Fantasia in 1940; to me it embodies Walt as risk-taker, dreamer, and visionary.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    What I would personally like to see is a Philharmagic that is ever-changing, just like the original premise of Fantasia.
    The way that the film changes scenes does allow for a great deal of repeatability. It would be cool to see a larger selection of scenes, of which a selection are randomly played at each showing. Another option would be playing a different show in the evening hours, like was done with the CircleVision theater in Tomorrowland.

My bigger concern is the ability to change. The last new 3D film was It's Tough to Be a Bug, and that first opened in 1998! The more specialized theater required for Mickey's PhilharMagic makes me think that the film would be left for even longer.

• MiceChat Moderator

While normally I would agree, I think in this situation Philharmagic would work. Remember, what makes the Carthay Circle theater important for Disney is that it hosted the premier of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, a "cartoon show" as you put it. Disney got to where he did by making animation. Sure, his live action movies and television shows were wonderful and epically successful, but Walt was the first to say that it was all started by a mouse.

What I would personally like to see is a Philharmagic that is ever-changing, just like the original premise of Fantasia. I just posted this in the other thread so bear with me if this is a repeat for you. Fantasia was another one of Walt's dreams, an interactive theater experience alike no other. Philharmagic is a modern embodiment of that dream.

Plus, thematically it works, all one has to do is give the show a very Fantasia-esque aura about it and boom, you're in 1940. Now, if they incorporate newer shows and characters into the different versions of the attraction the justification is easy. Remember Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Some characters appear in the movie that takes place in a year before the years of their respective films. The story is that they've always been there, their story just hasn't been told yet.

I imagine the show like this...
    The year, 1947. You enter the Carthay Circle theater, home to the 1938 premier of Snow White. You are here to watch the feature presentation of the Hollywood Philharmagic Orchestra conducted by Maestro Mickey Mouse presented in Fantasound. You are seated inside the auditorium for this special presentation of picture and sound, but when the Maestro leaves his hat at the podium, you never know what might happen!

When I think that Philharmagic should be in DCA, I never ever think that it should be a carbon copy of Florida's. I think that the attraction's premise and style are very unique and entertaining, and I think that format can be expanded. The most important point I made in my original post and the point I am trying to make now is that the 4-D format, presented in an ever-changing way follows the precedent set by Disney when he released Fantasia in 1940; to me it embodies Walt as risk-taker, dreamer, and visionary.

While you're right, I don't think the concept of Philharmagic fits in with the feature premiere feel that the theater is supposed to evoke.

So if it's not a show TDA wants. What about a ride? What ride would fit into a theater? Well, Hollywood Studios in Florida has the Great Movie Ride. What if they did a brand new version of that (minus the tour guide)? Maybe use mostly Disney films and Fantasia to anchor this ride (whatever it takes to put POTC back to normal)...

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud.

• Minion

I think PhilharMagic in the Carthay is a good idea - - another empty facade as the centerpiece will just suggest that DCA is a flop the second time around.

There's no second chance for a first impression, as they say.

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I think PhilharMagic in the Carthay is a good idea - - another empty facade as the centerpiece will just suggest that DCA is a flop the second time around.

There's no second chance for a first impression, as they say.

I don't think that putting MP in the Carthay is a bad idea either, but the first impression of DCA has already been made and cannot be altered.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Progressive Disneylander

While it did start with a mouse, the movie is mostly about a duck.

I'm not opposed to all cartoon shows going in there, I guess I just don't feel that Philharmagic is the right show for that venue.

I also think the Walt movie thing would have been a mistake as well. This would have catered to a small group of Walt enthusiasts, but it would have turned into a quickly forgotten about attraction by the masses after an initial viewing or two. It'd be like a Golden Dreams II.

I think it needs something a little more remarkable than a bio film or Philharmagic. But if it's Philharmagic vs. an empty theater, I'll take Philharmagic.

• Minion

Fantasia also premiered at the Carthay Circle - - Isn't PhilharMagic sort of related?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm not too hot on seeing Philharmagic there, but nothing there is even worse. Hell, put One Man's Dream rather than nothing.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Fantasia also premiered at the Carthay Circle - - Isn't PhilharMagic sort of related?
    Instead of going with sort of related, why not show the real thing? Every [x] minutes show one of the sequences from Fantasia. They could even utilize an updated version of Fantasound (I don't know enough about sound equipment so it may be pointless to do so today).

• MiceChat Moderator

Only by the use of the sorcerer hat. Philharmagic is cute and fun, but I want either that Walt tribute or something completely new.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast