Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Why not put "Mickey's PhilharMagic" in the Carthay Circle Theater

I just wanna give credit to DoppelV for thinking of this idea and thought it deserved to be placed in the Disneyland section of the Micechat boards. First off, I understand Disney's complaint saying that only the die-hard fans will go to the Walt Disney Story attraction for the first couple of months and later on it will be less crowded because people will not develop a great interest for another "show" attraction, its a believable argument. But why build a buildiong if you are not going to put nothing in it, I just find that plain stupid. Why not just put Mickey's PhilharMagic into the Carthay theater, it is already a popular attraction in the Magic Kingdom and it will get a huge base of guests per day. I think this is the way to go because it is an opera-type movie attraction that can fit into the theater very well. This will slve the problem with the hard time they would have trying to fit it into the Muppet-Vision building. I know this would mean that DCA would have a large number of 3-D attractions (3) being the highest in any park I can think of, except for Universal Studios Japan of course, but I think they could make it work if they do it right. I just see it as a perfect fit now that the Carthay Circle Theater will be a big empty space.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Why not put "Mickey's PhilharMagic" in the Carthay Circle Theater

I posted this in the other thread:

Mickey's Philharmagic in the Carthay Theater? Yuck.... it just doesn't fly with me. It's a fun and cute attraction but this is the NEW DCA. Why put a cloned attraction in what is meant to be a historical look of Los Angeles / Hollywood?

I also don't get TDA's insistence on not getting another show for DCA. Golden Dreams is out. So what are they afraid of? Do they not realize that location is one of the main reasons for Main Street Opera House's dwindling numbers? Sure, EVERYONE passes by it but how many times will they pass by it throughout the day? More than twice only if they're park hopping.

The Carthay Theater is the perfect home for a permanent tribute to Walt. That's what the park was lacking to begin with! Pay a tribute to Walt, make it a new permanent location preview center, make it a Disney Gallery type exhibit with rotating displays (if they don't give us back the suite that is). It's in the center of the hub so it will definitely get more hits than they suggest.

I really am curious to know just how much space this building will take up. If they build it without thinking it through, it's going to end up costing more money to renovate later.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I posted this in the other thread:

Mickey's Philharmagic in the Carthay Theater? Yuck.... it just doesn't fly with me. It's a fun and cute attraction but this is the NEW DCA. Why put a cloned attraction in what is meant to be a historical look of Los Angeles / Hollywood?

I also don't get TDA's insistence on not getting another show for DCA. Golden Dreams is out. So what are they afraid of? Do they not realize that location is one of the main reasons for Main Street Opera House's dwindling numbers? Sure, EVERYONE passes by it but how many times will they pass by it throughout the day? More than twice only if they're park hopping.

The Carthay Theater is the perfect home for a permanent tribute to Walt. That's what the park was lacking to begin with! Pay a tribute to Walt, make it a new permanent location preview center, make it a Disney Gallery type exhibit with rotating displays (if they don't give us back the suite that is). It's in the center of the hub so it will definitely get more hits than they suggest.

I really am curious to know just how much space this building will take up. If they build it without thinking it through, it's going to end up costing more money to renovate later.
    Well, it was just an idea, point being that I would rather have Mickey's PhilharMagic put into the theater instead of just an empty building.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Banned User

why not put "Mickey's Phillarmagic" in thye Carthay Circle Theather?

Because we dont need more CARTOON CHARECTER tie-ins.

Besides what do cheap 21st century CGI projections of disney charecters (mostly charecters that debuted after 1989) have to do with a 1920s movie theather in an area themed to 1920s Los Angeles?

• Seasick

Exactly, and I said as much in the other thread. Did they not learn from the past? Build it cheap now, and pay through the nose to fix it later. This attitude is what prevented them from adding a show to the GRR infrastructure. Build it as a theater even if there isn't going to be a film in there on day one.

I'm not sure Philharmagic fits the theme either, but it's better than nothing and will draw crowds. I do think a cloned attraction would be okay in this case, being that it's a great attraction and a fairly new one (I love the Muppets, but that attraction was dated before they even broke ground on DCA).

• Troublemaker

That would be an interesting idea, but unfortunately it would hurt the little bit of "historical theming" they're doing to DCA.

I wonder if this building is going to be DCA's version of the Opera House -- sitting there beautiful but empty waiting for a fitting attraction to be added. And if not the Walt Disney Story (perfect for the retheme of DCA, but probably not well attended) or Philharmagic (a great show, but yet another film and doesn't fit with the theming) -- what?

They don't want another film or another stage show venue.

Theater-type animatronic shows aren't as popular anymore.

There's no space for a big E-ticket. What would it be about anyway? Fantasyland and Toontown already pay tribute to Disney's animated legacy.

So what else COULD be crammed in there?

(unless they want to take out Playhouse Disney and Disney Animation for show building space...)

• Special Agent

The Carthay Theater is the perfect home for a permanent tribute to Walt. That's what the park was lacking to begin with!
    Perhaps the solution is to put the Walt Tribute in DCA and put Philharmagic in the Opera House.

• Closed Account

Seeing as how PhilarMagic is really the only reason to go to the Magic Kingdom in Florida, it'd save people a lot of travel money if they could see it in Anaheim.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Why not put "Mickey's PhilharMagic" in the Carthay Circle Theater
    Because, it's a show?

Reading Al's post carefully would tell you that WDI didn't want yet another show in the park, and that polls indicate that the last thing guests want is yet another show to sit through.

• Hiding in the shadows

I am fine with it being empty for now as long as they dont just build a facade. The building should still be breated with the possibility of having either a theatre or attraction in it at some point to avoid the current issues with grizzly peak and its missing infastructure. Build it right and leave it empty until the right thing comes along.

A little piece of heaven

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Because, it's a show?

Reading Al's post carefully would tell you that WDI didn't want yet another show in the park, and that polls indicate that the last thing guests want is yet another show to sit through.
    No, WDI wants the Walt show in the theater. The marketing geniuses in TDA are the ones who do not want any more shows in DCA (despite losing TWO in the refurb).

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    No, WDI wants the Walt show in the theater. The marketing geniuses in TDA are the ones who do not want any more shows in DCA (despite losing TWO in the refurb).
    Why would TDA want more theater shows? That was one of the biggest complaints about DCA - too many theater attractions.

They will still have Soarin and Bugs.

• Having an Unbirthday

To me, there's a very simple solution.

Remove "The Walt Disney Story" from the Opera House. Replace with "The Disney Gallery, featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln". Move all of the old Walt Disney Story stuff from the Opera House to Carthay Circle, and open it there- complete with Eisner-less movie from Disney's Hollywood Studios.

This way, we get the gallery back- a fantastic use of the space for a beautiful attraction AND retail that everyone can access easily- and TDS can quit bitching about having more than one Disney tribute attraction.

Everybody's happy.

• The one, the only...

First, I want to say I am a fan of Mickey's Philharmagic and would love to see it in California.

Second, I don't think that the "theater" should be built as an empty building, THAT would be stupid since the building is a theater and a guest WOULD expect a show inside.

Third, the worst way to select attractions is through guest survey. That is how marketing got so many things WRONG about attractions. Great theme parks are like great works of art. You don't ask people ahead of time what would be great. I know if Leonardo da Vinci had asked people they would have said, "Don't do a half smile on that girl. Give her a full grin!" Walt Disney did not take polls as to what to build. He had a vision of what he thought the park should be, and he built it. He believed that people would like what he liked. And he was right!

So bottom line... Put something in there. MP would not be bad, but maybe not the best either. I would like to see some AA's at DCA and that would be the best place to put it. Make it a show place for the best Disney can make, not the least!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Animatronic

Walt's Disneyland was famous for having what Walt called weenies. Things that drew you into a land. Walt's weenies were real things you could do, like the steam train leading you into the park, or the Mark Twain drawing you into Frontierland, or the Rocket Jets high atop the People Mover platform.

California Adventure is filled with what I call limp weenies. Facades and mountains with nothing to them. Do we really need another limp weenie in California Adventure? I think not!

Disney, put something great inside the Carthay Cirlce Theater!
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast