Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: So, what's it like to work at DL?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    Nemo, is also New Hire, I heard.

Space, Thunder, Matternhorn, Screamin, Monorail are all cross train, managers' recommendation.

It's the same stupid jokes that get old everyday.
    add Tower of Terror, Grizzly River Run, and Playhouse Disney...
    “Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.”

Pirates is Cross Train only, as are the rafts and the big boats.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

I thought Tower, Pirates, Playhouse Disney, and Grizzley were New Hire also.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    So what is it like to work there? It fun of course, but any other thoughts?

I'm also fascinated by the thought of being weird places inside the park that I would never be otherwise, using doors that I've always wanted to use, etc..
    I wonder if I'd get in trouble exploring after hours? One job I'd really love is doing the daily walkthrough and inspection of something like Indy/HM/splash mountain/space mountain because I have an eye for detail and would totally love that kind of job. If I wanted to aim for that kind of area of work I would need some mechanical training/experience right?
    I worked there long ago. like most jobs, it has it's good and bad points. It has its good and bad managers and co-workers. But it is a job.

If you want to see all of the park and be able to go almost anywhere, I suggest custodial or 3rd shift custodial. (3rd shift is midnight to 8 am...it least it was 15 years ago) When i worked, Indy was being built. I was able to go into the trailer that WDI was using onsite. I saw detailed drawings and a 3d model of what they ride was to look like. I was in there as part of my normal duties. I was dumping the trash (and peeking around a little). I've been all over the park at one point or another. I would guess that a "day time" CM would be asked questions if he was behind the HM while in his Tomorrowland costume.

I worked and cleaned the Small World boats and trash from the sets for a summer. I've had chances to walk through many of the rides after hours. Some of them were not part of my duties, but I was able to get away with it at certain times.

If you want to work the details of walking through a ride, you might want to look at the "Housekeeping" department. They are the people who walk through the rides and clean up the automations. It was housekeeping that changed and cleaned the costumes of the Small World dolls and cleaned up high on the sets. (I just picked up the trash that people threw at the sets) They do all the rides.

The "skilled trades" are the electricians, mechanics, painters and plumbers. They are experienced people who I believe are hired through their union and not directly by Disney. I thought the skilled trades had a different hiring process. And none of them that I saw were just out of High School. All of them were older, more experienced people.

3rd shift was fun. It's very different then working Dl during business hours. Most of your shift is away from guests. In the fall and winter, there were nights when I never saw guests. Even in the summers I usually worked away from the guests. So, if you want to work with guests, then 3rd shift isn't for you.

Also, then you have the whole thing of being awake until 9 am and sleeping when most normal people are awake. That brings up other issues.

I was at DL for over 2 years. If I had a time machine and could re-live my life, I would do it again.

Nemo is new hire the only two attractions that arent are space mountain and monorail
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    I worked there long ago. like most jobs, it has it's good and bad points. It has its good and bad managers and co-workers. But it is a job.

If you want to see all of the park and be able to go almost anywhere, I suggest custodial or 3rd shift custodial. (3rd shift is midnight to 8 am...it least it was 15 years ago) When i worked, Indy was being built. I was able to go into the trailer that WDI was using onsite. I saw detailed drawings and a 3d model of what they ride was to look like. I was in there as part of my normal duties. I was dumping the trash (and peeking around a little). I've been all over the park at one point or another. I would guess that a "day time" CM would be asked questions if he was behind the HM while in his Tomorrowland costume.

I worked and cleaned the Small World boats and trash from the sets for a summer. I've had chances to walk through many of the rides after hours. Some of them were not part of my duties, but I was able to get away with it at certain times.

If you want to work the details of walking through a ride, you might want to look at the "Housekeeping" department. They are the people who walk through the rides and clean up the automations. It was housekeeping that changed and cleaned the costumes of the Small World dolls and cleaned up high on the sets. (I just picked up the trash that people threw at the sets) They do all the rides.

The "skilled trades" are the electricians, mechanics, painters and plumbers. They are experienced people who I believe are hired through their union and not directly by Disney. I thought the skilled trades had a different hiring process. And none of them that I saw were just out of High School. All of them were older, more experienced people.

3rd shift was fun. It's very different then working Dl during business hours. Most of your shift is away from guests. In the fall and winter, there were nights when I never saw guests. Even in the summers I usually worked away from the guests. So, if you want to work with guests, then 3rd shift isn't for you.

Also, then you have the whole thing of being awake until 9 am and sleeping when most normal people are awake. That brings up other issues.

I was at DL for over 2 years. If I had a time machine and could re-live my life, I would do it again.
    So 3rd shift is only custodial and if I wanted to work on rides I would be applying to houskeeping?

nopee. definitely not. i couldnt imagine a new hire at Tower or Grizzly... hahaha.

nopee. definitely not. i could not imagine working with a new hire at Tower or Grizzly... hahaha.
    Last edited by Rocknroltkover; 04-09-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: delete

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
    So 3rd shift is only custodial and if I wanted to work on rides I would be applying to houskeeping?
    There are lots of different departments who work on 3rd shift. I believe that housekeeping is also a 3rd shift. They have to work and have access to the rides when the park is closed.

With custodial, sometimes you may work on some rides. Sometimes (lots of times) you will be cleaning bathrooms, kitchen floors or shops. (I think the kitchen floors was by far the grosses of the above)

I've seen some of what housekeeping does. But I'm no expert on what it's like working for housekeeping.

for DCA cross-train only attractions include...

in hollywood: Tower, and Playhouse

in pier: Screamin, Grizzly, for now Toy Story Mania...

everything else is new-hire.

The "skilled trades" are the electricians, mechanics, painters and plumbers. They are experienced people who I believe are hired through their union and not directly by Disney. I thought the skilled trades had a different hiring process.
    Yes and no. Maintenance can be hired out of the Hall, or recruited directly by the company. Personally I was working outside as a troubleman when DLR called me up with the offer.

Im almost positive that Nemo is not a new hire.

I might be wrong, but thats what I was told.
    When it opened, Nemo was cross-train only. It is now a new hire and has been for quite some time now.

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

Is Fantasmic crew only recruited through unions too?

Which Fantasmic crew? Tech?

Show support is a tough department to get in to...

Not since Splash moved to New Hire.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast