Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: So, what's it like to work at DL?

Hmm.. what's cross-train/new hire?

new hire means you are new to disney as a CM and can start with that attraction.

Cross train means you must wait 4 months to get trained on a second attraction.

Unless your attraction goes down for an extended period of time, in which you can be cross trained before 4 months.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

It's basically, due to the operations and nature of an attraction, it's just too difficult to operate with a new hire. They need a seasoned CM with lots of experience on one attraction. For example, you can't learn Space, unless you are trained on Autopia, so I heard, due to the high paced grouping.

• Thanks, Ollie

The locked doors guests see inside the parks are rarely more than storage areas for stores and restaurants. Sometimes there's emergency equipment and occasionally there's actually a tiny office, but that's about as exciting as it gets.

Now if you're talking about, say, the doors to Walt's Apartment and things of that caliber, you'll need to avoid attractions, entertainment, or foods and steer more towards Guest Relations or as Garrett240 suggested, 3rd Shift Custodial. These are departments that have more clearance to be in more places and are less likely to be hassled about it.

Like anything there are exceptions to every rule, I've known people who put in a cross train request form and gotten cross trained after being there only a month and there is a lead at playhouse who began at playhouse at 17, so anything is possible i guess but don't get your hopes up.

• Banned User

If Splash is new hire then I'll probably ask about that that because that's my favorite ride.

• =)

The locked doors guests see inside the parks are rarely more than storage areas for stores and restaurants. Sometimes there's emergency equipment and occasionally there's actually a tiny office, but that's about as exciting as it gets.
    Well, let us not forget the doors that lead to the actual outdoor backstage areas and the ones that lead between attractions, such as the Indy queue and Pirates. And for those of us who are so inclined, exploring those sorts of areas can be very, very exciting. Take it from a guy who's not a CM yet but who has legally explored backstage on several occasions.

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdShift View Post
    Yes and no. Maintenance can be hired out of the Hall, or recruited directly by the company. Personally I was working outside as a troubleman when DLR called me up with the offer.

I love your screen name!

3rd shift was the best time I spent working at any themepark. I worked at USH and KBF in Ops.

Nothing beat mornings in the park. I can only dream about the pictures I could have taken if I had my digital back in 01.

Most of all like others have said, stay out of the Themepark drama.
    Keep your eyes straight and your pants on and you'll be ok.

• Banned User

Yeah I do not like drama. I bet it's one of those jobs that they could make a good show out of a-la The Office, Scrubs, E.R. etc..

• =)

They should call it The Break Room. Heck, I'd watch it just for the behind-the-scenes stuff in the background!

• Thanks, Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Well, let us not forget the doors that lead to the actual outdoor backstage areas and the ones that lead between attractions, such as the Indy queue and Pirates. And for those of us who are so inclined, exploring those sorts of areas can be very, very exciting. Take it from a guy who's not a CM yet but who has legally explored backstage on several occasions.
    These doors are absolutely intriguing -- but they're not locked.

• That's a lot of look.

If you get hired in Attractions, do you get a choice as to which one you want? I would have guessed that they'd put you wherever they needed you.

• I'm not really here

My wife and I and our best friend have seriously contemplated doing a summer "sabbatical" to Disneyland just for the joy or working attractions and making people smile. We love watching a CM who just loves what they are doing and doesn't view it as simply a job. I think the most important thing anyone has said here is that "it is what you make of it." If you make it fun and work as hard as you can, it could be a very rewarding job for you.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• some imagination huh?

Quote Originally Posted by missmonkey View Post
    If you get hired in Attractions, do you get a choice as to which one you want? I would have guessed that they'd put you wherever they needed you.
    When I hired in they asked me which park I'd rather work at, and my top three land choices. You can most likely have some say as to which land you go into, but as far as individual attractions go, they put you where they need the staffing.

They also asked questions about whether or not you had a problem with heights, dark enclosed spaces or water, since some attractions involve working in such conditions :]

• Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by missmonkey View Post
    It depends. I worked there twice -- the first time I barely was able to request attractions over anything else and ended up working Toontown attractions. The second time, they gave me a choice of attractions after I mentioned I'd rather work Westside that time. I kept asking THEM to pick one for me because I enjoy a surprise.

That's what I kinda liked the first time around. I never wanted to work Toontown. Really didn't like going back there. And so, it didn't fit with my ideal Disneyland job. But I made the best of it and had a heck of a lot of fun BECAUSE it wasn't want I had planned. Watching the fireworks from the deck of the Miss Daisy... watching Song of the South every break in the secret room at Mickey's House. Playing "Honey, we shrunk the Pluto" with the kids waiting to meey the Mouse.

Granted, at the same time, Jungle Cruise was offered to me the second time around and was exactly what I had wanted to work. Sure, there's a script, part of the fun is making it your own. There's a bit of lee-way there, and so you add and embellish what you have to make it special. Everyone's going to point out the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, but not many people are going to claim to be one of Henry Jones Jr.'s students. Everyone does the backside of water joke, but play it up and make it different. You can get a lot of laughs from the tired jokes if you don't play them off as tired jokes.

It's a great little job that really isn't a job. Just ignore the politics, ignore the garbage that's going on... and even ignore how small your check is (if you can afford to). Go, have fun, make it magical for yourself and some tourists.

I've said it before -- it's great to work at Disneyland. If they paid a bit more and gave me a steady shift, I'd probably still be there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast