Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    If you don't know, I was the one who came up with the detailed FASTPASS guide that has been on a few boards, plus Kevin Yee wrote an article about it a while back. Now, the folks at the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland, 2005 version have worked the details into their book, including the tour plans.

I have tried to get the information to as many folks as possible, and will continue to do so. I agree that it is unfair that some folks know about it, and some don't. But I understand that Disney believes that it would confuse too many folks. Heck, many guests don't understand the simple system that is posted in Guide to the Magic.
    oh I remeber Darkbeer your fastpass guide is very usefull for the non APer

but I still don't think that it's enough, either it needs to be explained on the park maps or it needs to be irradicated, I'm not even sure why it exists in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever
    I think that is because most of the queue is up on that terrace area, which is a big unsed space anyway. (BTW, they really should do something with that area)
    I think it will work better with Buzz, because it was designed with FP in mind. Indy for example wasn't, and the mojority of the huge queue is now empty most of the time... Same with Splash...

I'm as impatient as they come, and I think I prefer the park before FP, really.
    true but from what I've heard Buzz's fastpass must be removable because after the 50th they'll look at reviewing the popularity of the ride and determining if fastpass is still necessary

though I do think that either Buzz or Star Tours should have fastpass in that area (but not both, Star Tours Fastpass should go now anyways)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang
    The logs used to be one long bench where you can fit 6 people (legally). I guess you could fit even more if you have a cast member that's loading you who doesn't care about safety....

Now the logs have "seats" that can only fit 5.
    The logs used to have 3 "holes" with a bench in each that could hold 3 small people or 2 "regular sized" people. Average was 7-8 people a log. Now it is down to 5 max.... actually averaging less than that out of the main queues since they have to fill in with single riders.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    Yes but I think the logs move thru the ride more quickly now, which would cancel out the capacity diff....
    Not really. Doesn't matter if it is a 3 minute ride or a 30 minute ride as long as you have enough vehicles so that there is always another waiting to unload/load as quickly as you can. A 30 minute ride would just require more vehicles to ensure there is always another waiting to load/unload.

It is the dispatch speed of vehicles and people per vehicle that controls capacity. I used to always try to hop in the log quickly to help capacity... faster we all get in and sit down, the faster they can dispatch, the higher the capacity, right???? Wrong.

Only 1 log at a time can be on the first lift. There is a gate at the bottom that holds each log until the log it front of it is off the lift. Even if everyone is sitting and ready, they aren't going to dispatch the logs from the station until only 1 log is waiting at the lift.

So, why not make the lift hill faster... Because they need a certain amount of time between logs on the final drop for safety.

SO, for Splash Mountain, true capacity is set by the people per log and the safety requirement to not send logs off the drop closer than x seconds apart.

• Baybeh!

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    true but from what I've heard Buzz's fastpass must be removable because after the 50th they'll look at reviewing the popularity of the ride and determining if fastpass is still necessary

though I do think that either Buzz or Star Tours should have fastpass in that area (but not both, Star Tours Fastpass should go now anyways)
    Star Tours no longer needs them. The park has to be over flowing in order for a line to form for that decrepid attraction.

• Banned User

Oh and I wouldn't get rid of FastPass. I'd just enforce return time (and date), limit the number of FastPasses an AP can get, and remove the FastPass from Indy in order to open up the out-side queue area for stroller parking and child swap waiting area plus reduce the number of times people have to get into the area.... Adventureland is too confined for Indy to have FP. Besides, the queue is awesome and worth waiting in if the line isn't moving at half speed because of FastPass.

• Rock Star Minion

My ideas for keeping FastPass (I prefer them all gone):
    1. FastPass machines shouldn't be turned on until there's is a sufficiently long standby wait.
    2. AP holders banned from using them. Perhaps a separate charge per day for AP holders. Say, $10.
    3. Return time is a strictly enforced range. If snooze then lose.
    4. Forcing standby to stay outside the queue because of FastPass needs to be eliminated. The queue should be part of the ride experience. For Indy, the FastPass queue can merge in at about 15 minutes until ride boarding, for example.
    5. Fewer FastPasses per return range.
    6. I don't mind people having multiple FastPasses at any given time, but some central machine should take note of what FastPasses the guest currently has, and it determines the return time based on them.

Long ago, when lines were too long (2 hours, 3 hours), I simply chose not to ride. Indy within the first few months, for example. It was always going to be there, so for me there wasn't an urgency.

• Zapp's Minion :D

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    2. AP holders banned from using them. Perhaps a separate charge per day for AP holders. Say, $10.
    What's wrong with AP holders using Fastpass?

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

< sarcasm>
    AP holders are the source of all evil and must be punished.

< / sarcasm>
    Last edited by EmeralineDragon; 02-18-2005 at 01:28 PM. Reason: edited to clear things up for the sarcasm-impaired

• Minion

Originally Posted by sediment
    If anything, APs should eb the primary users of the fast pass system! You said yourself that the queue is part of the rides story and experience, so people who have never been on the attraction before should be the main ones to stand in line and see the queue! APs have seen the queues dozens of times, and are usually at the park for a short visit...

• Rock Star Minion

The AP PROGRAM is the source of all evil. Please get this straight. (FastPass comes in a close second.) The AP holders are simply enjoying a product that is priced below what they're willing to pay for it.
    AP holders don't pay anything to get into the park on a daily basis. So, pay for the FastPass privilege . Or not.

The queue as part of the experience is what FastPass is taking away), and the queue-not-designed-for-Fastpass is the cause of not-getting-immersed. I think that a 30-minute wait is sufficient to get immersed (even for guests with a FastPass). Modifying queues would be a challenge.

• Still wants to be a cat!

You must be kidding, AP's support the profits for Disneyland in alll sorts of ways, we just we like to be appreciated for all the $'s we spend.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Sock Puppet

I waited for Splash once, and it said the wait time would be an hour and a half, but it turned out to be something like 45 minutes. Splash is actually a pretty quick one to get through.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    You must be kidding, AP's support the profits for Disneyland in alll sorts of ways, we just we like to be appreciated for all the $'s we spend.
    Are you assuming that when you buy something, it cost $0 for Disney to buy, to inventory, to sell, to maintain, etc.?
    I'm guessing that there are a good handful of free spenders with APs. The rest are cheapskates, based on their decision to buy an AP. This does assume that there is some sort of rational thought made in deciding to buy an AP by a majority of the purchasers.

The Fastpass system has its merits:
    1. It's FREE, and thus available to all
    2. When used it signficiantly cuts down on wait time for the Fastpasser

but it's drawbacks:
    1. Many many people will never unstand it/ spend the time during a hectic vacation to figure it out.
    2. The machines take up, precious precious space.
    3. The Fastpass systems signficiantly slows down the Stand-By lines
    4. It is discouraging being in a stand-by line and watch tons of fastpassers essentially ctu infront of you.

I am a cast member, I understand the system- and use it to the fullest cheating extent, but I also realize those drawbacks. I agree that the system as it stands does not work because-
    1. It is too complicated and not throughly explained enough so that every guest has 100% knowledge off and can take advantage of it.
    2. It detracts from the enjoyment of guests that do not take advantage of it.

I would recommend a low-tech solution. The return of 'ticket books'. Each guest upon entering the park should be given a ticket book that has a 'fastpass' ticket for each attraction in the park. To keep things fair, ticket books will be not sold anywhere (except for E-bay and other places that Disney cannot control). Thus each guest will have the ability to Fastpass every attraciton, but only once. This will serve to put all guests on an even footing.
    Unfortunately little can be done to accombate negative aspect #2, other than more thorough re-designing of rides and queues. Just a thought.

• Minion

This is getting extremely redundant and/or stupid. What is so difficult to understand about Fastpass? You get a ticket that tells you what time to return, you go do something else, go eat, go pee, whatever, and come back at said time... If park guests can't figure that out, I wonder how they made the trip to Disneyland in the first place! Those freeways are sure hectic! If you live in California, you get to use the freeways all the time! You shouldn't be because L.A. drivers are evil... Nonsense.

The Fastpass booths themeselves don't take up that much space... Come on now, I've seen more space taken up by planters, trashcans, and carts than fastpass locations. That is not a legitmate claim.

Who says APs are cheapskates? Believe it or not, many FULL PAYING VISITORS leave the park to eat, or sneak food inside. How else do you think the outside vendors make money? Everytime I go to Disneyland I hear people complain about the $2.50 drinks. The meal combos that don't even include a drink that are 8 bucks, or how much pricier McDonald's is inside the park than outside. I never really even see people buy big souvenirs except for hats, and the occasional kids toys. APs are the ones buying sculptures, artwork, pins, etc.

If one more person whines about how unfair it is that locals can get APs, I'm gonna scream. You sound like children! So what if I can visit Disneyland everyday for 320 bucks! It's better than getting 50 dollars every 2 years isn't it? Most APs would only visit Disneyland once a year if at all! Even if all they spend is 3 bucks on a churro, Disney is making a profit. So stop complaining about it.

I was always jealous that people in Florida got to have all these great parks in one convient area... Then I grew up.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast