Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Master of Disaster

Re: Third Gate: If the Disneyland Hotel is imploded....

Google Map!

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.808383,-117.926307&spn=0.004043,0.004533&t=h&z=18

Tons of room there! I say why not do the waterpark idea? Waterparks arent generally that large and a Disney themed waterpark? Imaging the imagineering possibilities!!!

• Master of Disaster

And for a comparison of size here is wild rivers just down the 5 (and I believe its last season was last year) same zoom on the property. hmm who could buy some suddenly available waterpark rides for cheap to jumpstart thier own park?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.004533&z=18

• Master of Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15 View Post
    And for a comparison of size here is wild rivers just
    down the 5 (and I believe its last season was last year) same zoom on the property. hmm who could buy some suddenly available waterpark rides for cheap to jumpstart thier own park?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.004533&z=18

Ok so it is actually open again this year.... I swear every year I hear that its the parks "last year"

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    Because they have a track record of building successful theme parks from the ground up, in most cases.

They have absolutely no history in re-theming, or renovating existing theme parks.

What they're attempting to do with DCA, has never been done before, at a Disney park, according to the Lutz article.

So, they are taking a big risk, and with a lot of money. I'm not saying it won't be successful.

It just seems to me that making smaller changes at DCA, that don't cost as much, and where there isn't as much of a disruption in services and traffic...... would be less of a risk.
    To the first point I put in bold-That's untrue, Disney is CONSTANTLY renovating and even retheming its parks at DL as well as WDW. I will grant you that the DCA project is certainly on a larger scale than they have ever done before, but it is still not new for the Disney Corp.

To the second point-Al is a great guy, but what he types is not the gospel truth. Much is "informed opinion" at best and some has indeed been quite accurate. In this case he is correct by technicality. It is true that Disney has never attempted this exact type/size of project, but essentially the DCA project is the same as when they rennovate Fantasyland or Tomorrowland but just on a larger scale.

To the third point...YES the are indeed taking a risk with the DCA project. I submit, however, that a whole theme park would be just as much a risk (again, the "what if" game) and would cost much more money in taking that risk. Building an entire new theme park would cost more than the planned DCA project and when it is done you have a park that may or may not be successful AND you still have a park that is sitting there underperforming.

To the last point I bolded-Small "less expensive" changes wont really fix the thematic and flow problems that DCA has IMO. They have already tried that approach and it really didn't work too well.

I am not saying to abandon the plans for a 3rd gate at all, I just think that building a 3rd gate when your 2nd gate is a floundering swimmer isn't good business logic. Save the drowning swimmer first before letting others in the pool.

• Banned User

I don't think a 3rd park is really necessary in Anaheim.

Maybe they could build a water park in like, San Diego or something?

There are several resorts scattered in central FL, why not some others in So Cal?

• șoș Tom șoș

While California is warm most of the year, its really not a place where water parks have traditionally thrived with the cheap and nearly free Pacific Ocean (parking costs) so readily available and more cities investing into small water parks with semi-decent attractions available for decent non-Disney type prices.

I would however be open to a very small water park, as part of a new hotel complex, similar to the beaches at Mandalay Bay or Typhoon Lagoon in the WDW complex area.

In regards to Disneyseas, this is also an area saturated in variations of aquariums from Seaworld, to Scripps to the Long Beach Aquarium to Monterey Bay. Legoland in Carlsbad is also developing an Aquarium attraction, as a mini-second gate in that area.

Westcot/World Pavilion area makes a tremendous amount of sense but with rides like Test Track (from Epcot) and the Little Mermaid (from Disneyseas) being installed into DCA, does a clone of ANY of the existing parks make logical and viable sense.

The pavilions make sense, perhaps it could serve as facet of Downtown Disney, open to the public without admission costs.

I actually like the idea.

With Disney building two new hotels in gardenwalk, one more hotel in the east esplanade/timon tram load area that could easily be named the Disneyland hotel.

This leaves the large almost 40+ acres of the old Disneyland hotel area plus the back of the Paradise Pier hotel area for a third gate.

DTD could easily be expanded north into the small parking area and then continue also south to the new parks entrance.

The paradise Pier could stay or removed as well.

The new park could have a large hotel as the main entrance (similiar to TDS., Disneyland Paris, or Tokyo Disneyland) that matches the third parks theme.

The second parking structure over north of the garden walk built and used both for Catsmembers and overflow guest parking area.

The Katella Castmember parking lot and strawberry field then used as a hotel, shopping and water park district.

This layout would definately make park hopping much more accesible and add foot traffic the DTD for people going from the first two gates to the third.

The biggest plus for this kind of layout is the problem with housing and noise.

The strawberry field and Katella parking lot is bordered both on the south side and east side with housing. That is one of the biggest drawback in desiging that third gate.

By moving it to the west end of the resort property behind Paradise pier hotel and on Disneyland hotel property that problem is pretty much eliminated.
    That large piece of property is seperated by a wide street and large foliage at the west end. The east side is DTD and theme parks already

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    but essentially the DCA project is the same as when they rennovate Fantasyland or Tomorrowland but just on a larger scale.
    ...and hundreds of millions of dollars more. It really isn't the same in terms of the disruption of guest services and re-routing of traffic. Renovating Space Mountain was rather self-contained, and didn't affect the rest of Disneyland.

What they're planning for DCA is a huge disruption, and not really comparable to any of the other refurbishments, or remodeling that's been done in other parks. Just the idea of redoing the DCA main entrance...that alone is going to cause a lot of chaos, and even the Disneyland Main Gate is going to be affected by that, I imagine.

Look, I'm not saying they should do nothing (although that's always an option). What I am saying is things have changed substantially since Disneyland brought out the DCA plans last October.

SunCal is no longer a threat. And, we have a very very different economic climate.

Maybe there needs to be some flexibility in the DCA plans, and the option to scale back some of the more dramatic changes that bring the most disruption and costly expenditures.........the entrance, golden-gate bridge etc.....(I'm not sure those things are so urgent).... while definitely going forward with World of Color and Toy Story.

As for Disneyland Hotel: I still don't know how big that space is, if you combine it with the adjacent Parking lots etc. I just hope if they're determined to tear it down, that they consider all options in terms of what would be best for that space, and the best use of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This layout would definately make park hopping much more accesible and add foot traffic the DTD for people going from the first two gates to the third.
    YES !

for anyone who says there isn't room for a water park on the west side, they're wrong. I have compared the sizes of the Disneyworld Water parks to the area in disneyland on Live Maps (which has great shots) and there's enough space.
    maybe some complaints though from residents, but besides that a water park could fit even in the parking lot south of DLH and west of Paradise Pier Hotel

• Banned User

I don't know I'm just really uncomfortable thinking about a significant part of my childhood going down in a cloud of dust.

If they were to demolish them, I can't say I would be able to watch. And I'm not usually touchy about stuff like that.

The thing is, I do not think this couldn't happen within 20 years or so. I even thought about it last summer when I passed by the towers. They're about 50 years old, they're not fresh, or new, or high tech, or super marketable* (I guess, I don't know for sure. Don't quote me on that...)

With Disney, these kinds of things don't usually last as long as some people might like them to. So it goes.

I wouldn't want a waterpark... I've never been a fan of them. I'd love if Disney could come up with an entirely new concept different from the other resorts- like a park based on all the villians... just a giant villian's lair. I'm not sure how that'd work with the kids, but it would be totally different. They could find a way to make it like we're the heroes going to vanquish our enemy. Meh.

i love the DLH; we either stay there or at the GC when we visit. Im all for a new hotel and find this a very exciting idea and totally support it whereever they choose to put it...but I must say that if we wanted to visit a water park, we wouldn't travel all the way to Anaheim to do so. I can understand that people with AP's might find this to be a great idea because it would give them another social activity from which to choose...but, when we come to visit DL that is definately what we're there for. Im super excited about the DCA rennovations and would also love to see some effort go into updating Tomorrowland and the Big thunder ranch area. I honostly believe these are the things that the guests care about the most and that's how id spend the money if I were in charge.

hey, pianoman, you said you had an idea for a new 4star hotel...i'd like to know what it is. Its fun to get everyone's ideas so if you'd like to share it, i'd like to read it...thanks to everyone for all the excellent things you write; spending time on micechat means the world to me and i think you're all great!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast