Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How do CMs do the math?

Its true! I absolutely love grouping at both Space and Tours. Unfortunately, grouping at Nemo is just plain boring but can be fun when you're double or triple grouping rows 5 and 6.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NemoRanger View Post
    Its true! I absolutely love grouping at both Space and Tours. Unfortunately, grouping at Nemo is just plain boring but can be fun when you're double or triple grouping rows 5 and 6.
    I keep reading this as "groping" and it sounds way more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    Not that difficult really.

Star Tours was usually the wierdest one to group because the rows held different amounts of people.

It was:

8-8-7-8-9 (front to back)
    you made this star tours trainer proud!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

• ...TWO BITS!

Boring? I don't think so.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• "I Break Things"

Hate to pull out semi Old School but as far as Indy, Thunder, and Jungle... they lost it! In all 3 cases there was a time when the CM could load a lot better, and a lot faster. Indy ran 15 cars; no backup, Thunder ran 5 trains; no backup, Jungle ran 8 boats; better not be a backup! Honestly though it is a matter of just knowing people. People tend to stand closer to members of their own party, and larger groups usually have matching shirts etc. A good loader will be ahead of the game so they aren't rushed when asking "how many?", hence the double or sometimes triple stack. There was also a time when you didn't load until you had been there long enough to really know how. Older CM's would teach new kids the ropes after they were signed off, but most times the Old CM's would request you "bump around" for a while, at least until they had confidence in you.

This themed spiel on Thunder also helped

Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to the glorious, wonderful, amazing Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. While standing in line bored feel free to count everyone in your party. From the first person, to the last person. Don't mess up because then they'll leave you behind! If you split up your group, then you'll be on separate trains. If you have 5, Say 5, saying 2,2,1 means you never want to see your party again. Please realize the Railroad must conform to regulations. When asked "How Many?" terms such as "Everybody", "All of us", "We're Together", "I'm with them", "It's my Birthday" and "To that guy" are not recognized by the US Department of Weights and Measures. Have fun and welcome to the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness.

We never seemed to have a problem after making that announcement.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to the glorious, wonderful, amazing Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. While standing in line bored feel free to count everyone in your party. From the first person, to the last person. Don't mess up because then they'll leave you behind! If you split up your group, then you'll be on separate trains. If you have 5, Say 5, saying 2,2,1 means you never want to see your party again. Please realize the Railroad must conform to regulations. When asked "How Many?" terms such as "Everybody", "All of us", "We're Together", "I'm with them", "It's my Birthday" and "To that guy" are not recognized by the US Department of Weights and Measures. Have fun and welcome to the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness.
    That's fantastic! Now, I want to say that at Space!

• "I Break Things"

That's fantastic! Now, I want to say that at Space!
    I will not confirm nor deny who the author of that spiel was. All I will say is that it was not approved but it was highly effective. There is a similar Jungle Boathouse Spiel called the "Scientific Properties of Water."

groupin for Soarin is 87 seats total.

10-10-7 , 11-11-11, 10-10-7............ and yes we do have to fill in all the seats as much as possible

for Tower:

we have 21 seats...

row 6 has 4, row five 4, row 4 has 4,

row 3 has 3, row 2 has 3, row 1 has 3.

then 6 is across from 1, 5 is across from 2, 4 is across from 3.. we have to try and keep all parties together.

it was confusing at first....

monsters-9 total, but all depends on people size.
    “Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.”

• "I Break Things"

Indy is 3 rows of 4, pretty simple to double North but South lacks room. Even when it was single group I enjoyed 2 lines because it made it easier to play human tetris and find the numbers you needed. According to the Management team they only wanted one line open when it was one group because it was too much pressure on the CM to have 2 lines. I've grouped single group, 2 lines, 15 Jeeps... that was fun...

BTM is 15 rows and it groups quickly, only supposed to double the first 6 rows but sometimes we go a bit farther to find the numbers we need. In this case because it is so many rows it doesn't really matter if it is one line or two. The main thing is that people need to move when loading/unloading. If Thunder backs up it could potentially break down. This timing issue is usually when it is 3 trains one side, or 5 trains. In the event of 3 trains one side they will open the other track and then dispatch an empty train. If it is 5 trains then they have to pull a train. I did single group 5 trains a couple times... then drank an entire can of Mt. Dew the moment I was backstage. In that respect you don't count as much as point.

Jungle max is 45, split between Front and Rear Load. Skip in the boat has to convince people to slide up. Annoying but when everyone leaves a seat between them you end up with a 3/4 filled boat and a longer line. Jungle is one place where you can visibly see how well the Loaders can load. You can watch the line move, and change, when the Loaders rotate. I've watched a line go from empty and practically running to a dead standstill and full because the Loaders switched and their replacements weren't up to pace.As a general rule Good Loaders close rooms, Bad Loaders open them. Main thing is communication. It is still human tetris, but the difference is you don't have a specific magic number, more of a "does it fit?" scenario. Rear Load is responsible for the left side of the boat. Front Load is responsible for the middle boxes and right side of the boat. Most people who are assigned the middle boxes just cross right over them and go to the left side unless the Skip says something. If the Loaders are quick they'll talk to each other, "Save me some" or "3 Extra" was pretty common to hear. Usually we slid people first then let the other Loader know we had extra so they didn't have to stop loading, slide people up, then start loading again... I was part of the "9 Boats" test so I had no mercy on slow Loaders. It was my second pet peeve right under bad spiel.

If the line isn't there (early morning or later afternoon/evening) then it will only be Rear Load open. The official training is right, center, left. The reality is Right up to the doorway, Left up to the engine, Center and then fill in Right back by engine and the remaining seats. Just me but I loved the center boxes. I'm 6'4 so I would straddle them and have room for a leg on either side, while being able to have a clear view of each side. The one thing I took care to do is to prevent people from sitting directly under the speakers if at all possible. Especially if they were taller individuals (in this case closer really is louder). The most they are supposed to do with single Load is 6 boats... Lead did 7 on me once and I wanted to kill him. I couldn't figure out why the River kept backing up, until I was bumped out (and Front Load opened) then I saw the sheet and realized why he was laughing so hard.

I personally didn't care about the "I want the Front" or "I want the Back" requests as long as they told me. I know some CM's would get annoyed but I just took it in stride. If you told me it was your Birthday, or your First Time, congrats... but I didn't need to know why you wanted it I was more then happy to arrange it if possible. If the party was willing to wait then I was more then willing to let them wait for their desired row, within reason. If 5 parties are waiting for front or there is a long line waiting for the back, and there is no more room, then my apologies but I don't have room to let you wait. It was only those who tried to sneak into the rows that annoyed me.

Another nightmare were the split parties who wouldn't tell you they were together. Suddenly a party of 4 would balloon to 9 and that would screw things up a bit. Also if the party didn't bother to count, then I would give them time to count by grouping the next available party. Especially places like BTM or Indy on 15 jeeps where you need to move. The last annoyance is height checks. It is one thing if Greeter missed it. In the case of BTM all you have is Greeter and Group checks. But at Indy you have Greeter, Unload, and Group... so there is no reason a height check should ever make it to Group. Likewise if the kid is obviously too small (and I have plenty of examples) don't argue, please, especially when I was the one at Greeter who told them the kid was too small 45 minutes ago and now I see them in front of me at Group.

• Now 40% less bitter!

I briefly worked at Star Tours, and grouping was the most difficult for me. Had I stuck around longer, I probably would've got the hang of it. My first couple of times (supervised), I somehow managed to place about twelve people in the back row and three in the front. Another problem was the direction of my voice. I'd look at the guests, ask how many, they would tell me, and then I'd look at the row and tell them where to stand. When I'd look back at the guests, they'd just be standing there with confused looks on their faces.
    Here's what they would hear:
    Me: Hi, how many in your party?
    Them: Three.
    Me: Three? Okay, go to row number 2, please.

My trainer suggested I group them without looking at the rows, which is when those rows of twelve and three would occur.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Mrs. J. Depp

LOL see thats what would have happened to me! I'd be so confused!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

i work on screamin and grizzley and had a hard time at first. But after plenty of practice it becomes second nature to you.

• Minion

You graft and amputate fingers as necessary to match the seating pattern.

It really gets tricky when you have to add the extra hands.

A good cast member will apply the Quadratic Equation to the number of guest in line to calculate the exact number of open seats! This will maximize the ratio of guest to seat capacity. Or simply you guess.

• Now 40% less bitter!

Oh, my goodness! No wonder turnover is so high! I just thought the attendance point system was doing them all in!
    Oo-de-lally!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12