Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do CMs do the math?

I've always wondered about that point in the line where the cast member asks, "how many?" and then directs your party to "number five" (or whatever station you're supposed to wait at for your next mine train/rocket/bobsled, etc). How do they keep track of the number of bodies and the number of spots and all? Seems like a lot to have in your brain (bu then, math was always my weakest subject, so maybe I'm just dense here...LOL)

Re: How do CMs do the math?

Practice.

• Rock Star Minion

They cheat by looking over their shoulder while you're not looking.

I haven't gone on a particularly crowded day, so the last few times I've been I have seen plenty of empty seats. So, the CM's don't have to do their best to fill every last seat.

Anywho, for cars requiring two guests (Screamin', for example), the CM merely has to remember which lines have an odd number of guests, and try to fill them to even. And with the single-rider queue, that's even easier to do (i.e., you don't have to remember for very long).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Not that difficult really.

Star Tours was usually the wierdest one to group because the rows held different amounts of people.

It was:

8-8-7-8-9 (front to back)

• Circle of Ancients

Most rides (with the exception of star tours and Tower) are probably pretty easy to load. It's either 2 or 4 per row.

It's just knowing how to add really. If CM's can't do that, they have bigger problems.

It's those occasions when you get 5 people in a row asking "Can I have the front" that you probably get issues.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It seems like Soarin' would be a pain in the butt.

•   
    • I <3 °o°

Human tetris
    plus lapsitters
    and people with small butts
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'd have a tough time doing this because i'm not all that great with numbers.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Adelade View Post
    Human tetris
    plus lapsitters
    and people with small butts
    Small butts in Disneyland? I refuse to believe it!

• șoș Tom șoș

Having worked on Autopia I think that might be the most difficult for loading operations.

-You have several factors to contend with. The way the queue is set up, there are at least 50 yards between where you assign a guest to where they end up if they ride in Car # 7.

-Additionally, there is one sidewalk isle, feeding two tracks, which provides for the possibility of a guest becoming confused and forgetting the difference between "Number 4 on the left side" an "Number 4 on the right side"

-You also contend with a ADA compliant elevator at the rear of the loading area, 50 yards away, with separate instructions and priorities for loading.

So how does this affect simple math, like "2 in that car" and "1 in the other"????

Easy.

In mid-loading, the factors change and people move to the wrong side, load in the back or perhaps challenge you to load one group on the left side and one on the right, so they can drive side-by-side and compete.

The mathematical variations that occur while loading can be nightmarish compared to some of the other queues I have seen and witnessed. Thankfully counting and variations come easily to me, its calculus that always screwed with my head.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

I'm glad Dumbo has the feathers, that makes things seem SO much easier.

Really I'm sure it's all practice. I am sure it's difficult the first couple times but you get used to it (I'm guessing).

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashley solo View Post
    I'm glad Dumbo has the feathers, that makes things seem SO much easier.
    Astro Orbitor had something similiar with "tickets", but that didn't work too well. So, they got rid of it. It was a good idea at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    I've always wondered about that point in the line where the cast member asks, "how many?" and then directs your party to "number five" (or whatever station you're supposed to wait at for your next mine train/rocket/bobsled, etc). How do they keep track of the number of bodies and the number of spots and all? Seems like a lot to have in your brain (bu then, math was always my weakest subject, so maybe I'm just dense here...LOL)
    I'd say it's lots of practice and repetition. it's second nature to them.

• Disneyland is your land.

I think it is easy for us to sit here at our computers and say "hey its just math", but I would say it is a more difficult job than that. Add in the fact that there is loud noises, guests requesting certain seats, the thru-put goals, safety and trying to keep high guest service standards could turn what seems like a simple mathematic job into a highly stressful one.

Of course, practice makes perfect, but I would bet that loading CM's make it look easy.
    Class of 2005...

• Cherry Tart

When I worked Autopia, grouping was the worst position for me, mainly because I suck at math. Of course, the more practice the better. Instead of asking "how many in your party?" I started asking "Ok are you riding alone or with anyone else?" At that point people then quickly catch on and say "Oh I'm riding with him and these two are riding together." So they did the math for me.

Then when I transfered to Fantasyland, everything got a whole lot easier. Thank God for those Dumbo feathers.
    Last edited by littlecricket; 04-11-2008 at 06:06 PM.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• :)

It takes a lot of practice, especially when you go back and fourth to multiple attractions and grouping is different at each attraction, at first you absolutely HATE it...But once you've masterd the art of grouping, it'll be your favorite position :] ..atleast it was for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast