Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Does Disneyland Really Need a Gimmick?

Does Disneyland really need a gimmick? Currently Disneyland is under the Year...or Year's of a Million Dreams Campaign, but I ask does Disneyland really need this to boost numbers? Disneyland is world known and here in California, has a very potent local base who will go no matter what...especially when the 2-fer's kick in. With the exception of the various anniversary's I can remember a time where Disneyland just opened new attractions to bring people in, and didnít use some advertising campaign where they give away prizes. In over 10 years Disneyland has opened only 1 E ticket and 2 "Dark Rides". Although they have re-done a few rides like Space, Pirates and the Island, but most people just think these are the same rides so who's going to pay 60 bucks to go so they can hear the new music and see Johnny Depp robots! It takes years to build a good E ticket. It took 3 or more years to do the subs, and the lagoon was already there! How long is it going to take to get the next one off the ground, and then open? So I ask does Disneyland really need a gimmick, or should they just stick to doing what they do best...building great NEW attractions!

• Banned User

Re: Does Disneyland Really Need a Gimmick?

Good points, thanks for bringing it up.

I don't think they need one at all. Though they should do something every 5 or 10 years.

50th was great, but why can't they wait till the 55th until they do something again?

• Seasick

The gimmicks seem to work and boost attendance. There may be a large group of regularly attending locals, but Disneyland also needs the out-of-towners who pay $60+ a pop to get in, stay in the hotels, buy those souvenirs the locals already own, etc.

The lack of new attractions is definately appalling however, and no amount of gimmicks or new parades excuses that.

• Banned User

because YOAMD was Rasulo's baby, that's why. Sadly, he thinks people want free mouse ears more than a big E-ticket that everyone can enjoy. Luckily the Year of A Million Yawns will be over this year, and we can concentrate on the DCA expansion and 55th, something worth celebrating.

• =)

I think we're really dealing with two separate, not-entirely-related issues here: the efficacy (or lack thereof) of marketing campaigns, and the quantity and quality of new attractions in the parks. The first issue...well, I don't have the numbers on it, but I can't imagine the YOAMD has boosted attendance by that much. Most people don't know anything about it, and if they come to the park because of a YOAMD billboard or commercial, it's probably because they saw a Disneyland billboard or commercial; the campaign wouldn't have all that much meaning to them. Furthermore, the campaign is repugnant because of the visual intrusions it's made in the park, the worst of which are the DreamClouds above Disneyland's entrance.

The attractions issue is tricky. Building a ride costs a LOT of money, so I can't exactly blame Disney for not building a new E-ticket once every couple of years. With a couple of exceptions in DL's history, that's never been the way to do it. Look at the dates of some of the park's best attractions' openings:

Pirates of the Caribbean: 1967
    Haunted Mansion: 1969
    Space Mountain: 1977
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: 1979
    Star Tours: 1987
    Splash Mountain: 1989
    Indiana Jones Adventure: 1995

Actually, looking at the trend, I'd say we were due for a big new E-ticket last year...but the good news is, we're due for another one next year, too. Anyway, my point is, you typically only get a couple of great E-tickets per decade. Indy was expensive and it was the Pressler era, so there's the 90s for you. IMO, Indy itself is practically worth two E-tickets anyway. Now we've got a very large investment happening at DCA, so it would be quite hard to finance the construction of another E-ticket in Disneyland.

Luckily the Year of A Million Yawns will be over this year
    Are you sure? Maybe we'll "luck out" and get another.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I recall hearing the next promotion (which will be next year ) is going to be "Magical Celebrations." Basically the YoaMD, but you'll have to pay for some of the prizes. And it will be about celebrating your important events (birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, etc.), at Disneyland. From the get-go this sounds more comprehensible than the YoaMD.

But, no, I do not think Disneyland needs a promotion every year. I would rather see them more infrequently, than they are now.

A new E-ticket? Sure- I'll welcome one!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Disneyland needs a marketing campaign like any other well run business. I wouldn't call it a "gimmick" even though the YOAMD is pretty corny.

• Hooterville, USA

They wouldn't need a gimmick if they would address the problems with DL.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

A movie has legs. THe theatre stays the same and you move the merchandise in, show the flick until the audiences start coming, move in a new movie and continue to make some cash.

Not so with an theme park. Especially in SoCal, where local visitors create the bulk of guests in the park. Now, where do you go repeatedly? Stores, because you have to. You don't have to go to a theme park again and again. You've been there once, you're pretty much done.

As was mentioned, rides cost a LOT of cash. So how do you get the locals to come back? You dress it up with possible prizes. A gimmick? Yep. But I can think of little other changes you could make--other then make more rides which may or may not be hits.

Now us? We're addicted, so we're going to go anyways. But what about our friends up the street? What's going to make them take at least one trip annually?

Most likely gimmicky advertisting that makes it seem like everything is fresh and new.

We all know better, that's obvious. But the gimmicks are a bit more necessary then we might think.

Peace out!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The attractions issue is tricky. Building a ride costs a LOT of money, so I can't exactly blame Disney for not building a new E-ticket once every couple of years.

You are right, great new rides do take time to make and money to build. The problem is that current management insists that somehow new rides promote other divisions of the company, like movies or merchandise. A truly great ride comes from a great idea and carried out in a grand way. Sadly, current management seems only intent on opening up the purse to build attractions that promote DVD or movie ticket sales. Often that money is wasted in some frenzy to promote the movie, but th attraction is left in the park devoid of support or maintenance.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• =)

Good points, Roo. (I do want to say, however, that I don't think the "bulk" of the guests in the park are locals. They constitute a rather large percentage when compared to the other parks, yes, but I don't think they're the majority.)

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    The problem is that current management insists that somehow new rides promote other divisions of the company, like movies or merchandise. A truly great ride comes from a great idea and carried out in a grand way. Sadly, current management seems only intent on opening up the purse to build attractions that promote DVD or movie ticket sales. Often that money is wasted in some frenzy to promote the movie, but th attraction is left in the park devoid of support or maintenance.
    I'm sad to say that I agree.

• Minion

Yes I'm old...but I liked the 35th anniversary when they gave away a prize to every person who came through the gates...most got a popscicle bar or a pin, but then there were a couple of big prizes each day...
    That was exciting...and I'm sure expensive...something like that would be great every 5 years!
    Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylanddad View Post
    In over 10 years Disneyland has opened only 1 E ticket and 2 "Dark Rides".
    There just isn't any more room for a "New" E-Ticket attraction at DL without removing something first. Personally, I'm OK with plussing existing attractions at DL as an alternative to replacing them with something completly different. To expect a new ride at DL every couple years would mean loosing a ride every couple years as well. In 20 years time, a good chunk of what we think of as DL would be gone.

Although they have re-done a few rides like Space, Pirates and the Island, but most people just think these are the same rides so who's going to pay 60 bucks to go so they can hear the new music and see Johnny Depp robots!
    For the people that visit only every couple years or so (Like me ), part of the fun is revisiting your favorite attractions from times past and if there are a couple new suprises on one of your favorite rides, that allows it to be both reminicant and new at the same time.

So I ask does Disneyland really need a gimmick, or should they just stick to doing what they do best...building great NEW attractions!
    DCA is where most of the new attractions will be going in the forseeable future and that's fine with me.
    Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
    1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993
    2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014

Walt Disney World
    2000, 2001

• Banned User

But have we forgotten FNSV? I mean sure, it's sort of just a re-opening of the subs but this was no simple refurbishment, It's a new attraction.

It's not quite a super-major attraction with a huge show building outside the berm, but it's very good, and it's not a gimmick in any way.

• Animatronic

I liked the original subs better, both for the immersive and not like watching TV technology AND the adventerous and scientific theme.

Disney does have room for more rides without removing any current non-pathetic attraction. New attractions which could be shown in the background of classy Disneyland advertisements.

Innoventions
    Honey I shrunk the audience (literally)
    Cascade Peak and Big Thunder Ranch could be a new land
    Toon Town area
    Fantasyland Theater/Princess should be in downtown Disney
    Castle Walk through (should lead to an underground Dragon!)
    Buzz Lightyear (now redundant with Midway Mania)
    Star Tours (replaced by Star Tours 2?)
    People Mover Tracks
    Pizza Port use to be a ride
    Pooh ride

As you can see, Disneyland could have a major new ride every year for the next decade and not lose a single real ride!

I'd also add back some C & D tickets like a skyway and keel boats.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast