• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Guide to Disneyland Resort for Wheelchair bound Guests

Hi, this list is based on my own personal experiences here's a guide for those guests that are wheelchair bound, that is those that can not or choose not to transfer from wheelchair, these are the attractions and rides that one can experience without ever needing to transfer out of your wheelchair ONLY.

(Note: this info is based on my own person experience to the best of my recollection and therefore may not be 100 % accurate)

I have added in RED Rides wheelchair bound guests CANNOT ride just for comparison.

Entrance:
    Tram from Parking lot to main entrance
    Monorail from Downtown Disney to Tomorrowland

Main st.:
    (Note: Although you can ride the Railroad you cannot enter or exit here via wheelchair) Possible Future Access could be made available here
    Disney 50th Anniversary film Opera house theater (and hopefully return of Lincoln soon)
    Movie house with early Mickey cartoons

Not accessible: Railroad, All street vehicles

Adventureland:
    The Enchanted Tiki Room (theres a lift or the right side of the main entrance but it does get a bit stuck sometimes so jiggle it lol)
    Jungle Cruise There is one special boat with a platform for wheelchairs it is not always in service you enter at the exit and it has no cover over the wheelchair so you get rained on in rainforest section but you have a standing height unique view that no one else gets so cool)
    Indiana Jones Queue Line Only (while you CANNOT ride this ride you can go thru the disabled que entrance via the exit and see alot of the cool interiors and then leave they let you do this). Possible Future Access could be made available here as each car is controlled by its own onboard computer program I dont see why they cant either "limit" this program or turn it off for one special wheelchair accessible vehicle tho it my still be a little too "jerky" when it accelerates etc....its a thought

Not accessible: Indiana Jones

New Orleans Square:
    Pirates of the Caribbean There is NO access and not much to see except from the Blue Bayou restaurant but Possible Future Access could be made available here so I am adding a mention here because It would not be totally out of the realm of possibility for one boat to be radically altered or replaced with a wheelchair lockdown platform like the ones from Its a small world (they are basically the same boat) the problems of the high angle slopes could be addressed with this platform on a gimble so it can rotate keeping the occupant level and high walls to contain the chair. It could be done if there was a will to do it.
    Railroad Station you enter thru the exit and go to the end of the train and there is a special area in the last car before the caboose for wheelchairs
    The Haunted Mansion Queue Line Only ( you cant ride this attraction but you can go thru the Entrance foyer room, the stretch room and the Gallery Hallway and then exit). Possible Future Access could be made available here, It would not be totally out of the realm of possibility for one Doombuggy to be radically altered or replaced with a wheelchair lockdown platform the problems of the high angle slopes could be addressed with this platform on a gimble so it can rotate keeping the occupant level.
    Tom Sawyer Pirate Island You take the raft across and can explore alot of the area including the one large cave tho clearances are narrow and you can get stuck just a little if not careful, there are some steep walkways and alot of dirt and gravel paths BE CAREFUL they do not have signs to tell you what is safe and not safe for wheelchairs and THEY REALLY SHOULD I almost lost control here when my chair slipped down a slope and almost crashed but was saved by a bystander.

Not accessible: Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion

Critter Country:
    Not accessible: Splash Mtn, Adv of Pooh, Canoes

Frontierland:
    Mark Twain Awesome ride you have to wait for the boat to rise/lower due to people weight to get on or off and you can only explore the lower deck but a great relaxing ride!
    Golden Horseshoe Review
    Big Thunder Ranch Again be careful of dirt sloping paths.

Not accessible: Columbia Sailing ship, Big Thunder Mtn

Fantasyland:
    King Arthur Carousel There are special locations for wheelchairs on the carousel
    It's a Small World Although I have not ridden on them I have seen a special boat for disabled party only with a raised platform for securing wheelchairs this allows you to have a very high almost standing view point.
    Railroad Station

Not accessible: Snow White, Pinnochio, Casey Jr, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Alice, Teacups, Storybook land boats. Matterhorn

Toontown:
    Mickeys House
    Minnies House
    Roger Rabbit queue only I only recommend this when its not crowded you dont want to get stuck in a long line thats not moving for something you cant ride on, if they dont have a special wheelchair car, they could convert one ill have to check this out. Possible Future Access could be made available here

Not accessible: Roger Rabbit, Coaster

Tomorrowland:
    Monorail The manual ramp because the cars are about 4 inches too high off the platform is a bit annoying and I am surprised they couldnt find a way to correct this when making the new monorails! oh and you can sometimes stay on if you want for a round trip if you tell them tho keep in mind this may mean someone else waiting has to wait longer.
    Nemo Submarine Video room only you enter thru the exit and tell them you can only watch the video as they have a little room where you can sit and watch a video on a big wide flat screen but no effects in the room which would have been easy enough to install.....they could have made the video 3D and added lighting efx like the lightning in the subs to this room to make it more like the voyage one advantage is that the screen is very large compared to the tiny portholes and they could have made a day and night version of the video to be played at those times.
    Railroad Station This allows you to see the Dinosaurs and the next stop is NOS as there is no wheelchair access at Main st which they should really address, WARNING for some very idiotic reason they chose the narrow path to and from this station as the smoking area and if your like me and have trouble breathing you have to hold your breath thru this gauntlet of carcinogens.....dumb really dumb
    Innoventions
    Honey I shrunk the audience you enter at the first door on the right once you go into the queue and the area is on the very very back row of seats.
    Buzz Lightyear There is one special car that a wheel chair can drive onto tho tricky to manuever you have to wait for it to come around so make sure the CM knows you need it.

Not accessible: Nemo Subs (actual subs), Autopia, Space mtn, Star Tours, Astro orbitron thingy

Thats it for Disneyland now for DCA

Muppets 3D
    Monsters Inc Special taxi car for wheelchairs just let them know you need it cuz you have to wait for all to cycle thru as there is only one.
    Art of Animation
    Aladdin Show
    Tower of Terror Queue you cannot ride this but you can go thru the queue and the lobby and library room and basement room then exit just let them know. Possible Future Access could be made available here Heres a suggestion the actual movement of the elevators is gentle and if there was room made for a wheelchair or ecv and it could be secured wheelchair bound riders COULD ride this ride.
    Bugs Life
    Bakery and Tortilla factory free food
    not sure about rides like sunwheel etc as I dont hang out there....but maybe they have access?
    There is alot changing at DCA so I will list what could be accessed when I was last there:
    California Dreams theater
    Forest area some parts are accessible and you can even glide thru the fallen tree trunk if you clear the height
    Hiking Path behind the Grizzly peak ride fun path thru hills and by waterfalls
    I dont know about Soarin over California I dont think theres access but they may let you inside and watch
    I will try and updat this DCA info when I know more.

Not accessible: Tower of Terror, All of bugs land rides, all of paradise pier rides with possible exceptions of carousel or sun wheel (im not sure), Grizzly peak rapids, Soarin (I think but they might let you watch it from the ground not sure)

Thanks.

Note: I also have a guide like this for Universal Studios Hollywood in the Other parks forum interestingly there are only 3 rides out of the whole park there that one cannot ride and only because they are too violent to be safe.
    Last edited by GothicManor; 04-13-2008 at 12:46 PM.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Re: Guide to Disneyland Resort for Wheelchair bound Guests

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Indiana Jones Queue Line Only (while you CANNOT ride this ride you can go thru the disabled que entrance via the exit and see alot of the cool interiors and then leave they let you do this)
    Good idea for a thread, and this quote is one of the reasons, Disneyland is unlike other amusement parks, half of the experience is in the line.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Great post, how helpful!

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Minion

Thank you for posting this! It's information I needed to know!
    Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!!

Thumbs up Re: Guide to Disneyland Resort for Wheelchair bound Guests

You forgot Toontown!

Mickey's House, all the way up through meeting Mickey, is 100% fine and should be added. The only limit is that you can't bypass meeting Mickey through the door in the room right before the film- there's a step. Minnie's House is also fine, though it's impossible to get to the cake with a large chair. You could also go through the Roger Rabbit queue by asking.

Nice guide, it'd be nice to have a separate non-transfer pamphlet to hand out come to think of it...

• Shubisha

One more, slightly obvious but nonetheless fun thing to do in Disneyland when wheel-chair bound. All of the entertainment =) The parades, shows, live entertainment are all a big part of the Disneyland experience. While you can watch them from just about anywhere making this kind of an obvious point, there are however some wheel-chair special seating areas. For Fantasmic it's located directly to the left of the mark twain/columbia ride entrance. For Parade of Dreams there's one in town square in that patio area outside of the Disney Showcase store(the one across from emporium). I think there's another section too..

I dunno where the DCA ones are for parades offhand

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    One more, slightly obvious but nonetheless fun thing to do in Disneyland when wheel-chair bound. All of the entertainment =) The parades, shows, live entertainment are all a big part of the Disneyland experience. While you can watch them from just about anywhere making this kind of an obvious point, there are however some wheel-chair special seating areas. For Fantasmic it's located directly to the left of the mark twain/columbia ride entrance. For Parade of Dreams there's one in town square in that patio area outside of the Disney Showcase store(the one across from emporium). I think there's another section too..

I dunno where the DCA ones are for parades offhand
    Hi yeah I left those out cuz anyone can see them along with the stores and restaurants. I just wanted to focus on actual attractions and rides.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    You forgot Toontown!

Mickey's House, all the way up through meeting Mickey, is 100% fine and should be added. The only limit is that you can't bypass meeting Mickey through the door in the room right before the film- there's a step. Minnie's House is also fine, though it's impossible to get to the cake with a large chair. You could also go through the Roger Rabbit queue by asking.

Nice guide, it'd be nice to have a separate non-transfer pamphlet to hand out come to think of it...
    I usually DO forget toontown lol :-)

I was doing this late and ive updated it now

— Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Thank you GM for a very positive and very helpful thread. I am glad to see people enjoying the Ucy (Jungle wheelchair boat) because I was there all through the design and testing of it. I do not like the design, but I love that it allows individuals to ride who otherwise might pass it up because of difficulty transferring. There is a tarp cover attachment for the center which is attached via velcro. The problem is that there is no support beam running down the center of the boat which would divert the water to the sides so the individual is left with a large pool of water collecting above them! Generally when it rains we take it offline. As I said I like what it has done but do not agree with the methods that accomplish it. PoC was under consideration when I left, the main restriction was weight and as you noted slope of the drops. While it does require a transfer, it should be noted that BTM has a specially designed transfer car on two of it's trains. The CM presses on a hidden latch and the side wall folds down allowing for a "slide in" vs trying to fit in a small tight gap. I submitted a similar design as a possibility for Indy, after watching individuals have a great deal of trouble transferring though it's gap.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Thank you GM for a very positive and very helpful thread. I am glad to see people enjoying the Ucy (Jungle wheelchair boat) because I was there all through the design and testing of it. I do not like the design, but I love that it allows individuals to ride who otherwise might pass it up because of difficulty transferring. There is a tarp cover attachment for the center which is attached via velcro. The problem is that there is no support beam running down the center of the boat which would divert the water to the sides so the individual is left with a large pool of water collecting above them! Generally when it rains we take it offline. As I said I like what it has done but do not agree with the methods that accomplish it. PoC was under consideration when I left, the main restriction was weight and as you noted slope of the drops. While it does require a transfer, it should be noted that BTM has a specially designed transfer car on two of it's trains. The CM presses on a hidden latch and the side wall folds down allowing for a "slide in" vs trying to fit in a small tight gap. I submitted a similar design as a possibility for Indy, after watching individuals have a great deal of trouble transferring though it's gap.
    The problems with indy and btm are they are too violent usually for wheelchair bound individuals with head/neck/back problems, However as I mentioned I see no reason why a special indy car cant have its motion simulation limited so that is more subtle or turned off completely and it may then be possible to ride it for some.

There are many rides that could be modified to accept a wheelchair without slowing down access and egress times too much.

— Walt Disney

•   
    • I <3 °o°

Critter Country:
    Not accessible: Splash Mtn, Adv of Pooh, Canoes
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is accessible, they were built after the ada, so not only is their queue accessible they also have a WAV (wheelchair access vehicle)
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

Um, Pooh is completely wheelchair accessible. You need to transfer from an ECV, but manual and electric chairs are able to go on.

EDIT: Agh, get out of my head!

• "I Break Things"

The problems with indy and btm are they are too violent usually for wheelchair bound individuals with head/neck/back problems.
    This I had not taken into consideration, merely the ability to get on or off the attraction. I leave the ultimate "should I ride" decision to the individual because I do not know the physical limitations or extent of their injuries.

However as I mentioned I see no reason why a special indy car cant have its motion simulation limited so that is more subtle or turned off completely and it may then be possible to ride it for some.
    Under the current program there is a way to completely turn off the motion sim. The problem is that as a "safety" mechanism it has strobe lights that go off informing everyone that it is off. This is why you get "strobbers" in the station and they need to be pulled. If they were to do this then likely it would be a specially designated vehicle. Having an on/off switch would be dangerous because if the CM forgets then we are back to an overly rough ride. Likely it would be permanently disabled on this vehicle. The next complication is the ability to evac this vehicle. I am sure they would figure out a way but that would potentially be a problem for the designers. The possibility of a motion free vehicle is not limited to those in wheelchairs though, those who are afraid or have sever motion sickness would also be able to enjoy the benefits of this vehicle.

There are many rides that could be modified to accept a wheelchair without slowing down access and egress times too much.
    Again that was my goal in pointing out the trasfer cars on BTM. It makes it easier to get in/out for the individual and it is faster and more practical for the crew! I did not take into account ride "roughness" as discussed earlier.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I may be nutz...but...

Nice list.

The Ucy has been in refurb for the last 7 months. Its technically back, however it is still not in operation because the list of people that are actually trained on it is much shorter than the ones that arent. It should be returning soon though.