Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Disparaging words?!

Ugh. Its sometimes so hard being a fan of Disneyland. Please excuse me while I vent a little.

OK. I work at a small company and we do 3D Graphics in the Entertainment Industry. Apperantly everyone in the indstry has been screwed by Disney at some point or another, so EVERYONE at my work HATES Disney.... I mean hates!!! Every time the word Disney comes up, I must endure about 1/2 of pure Disney bashing. I have hidden the fact I have an AP from most of my co-workers, and never can tell them about my trips to Disneyland. You think thats bad? It gets worse.

Now my wife is in on it.. So I tell her that I want to go too Disneyland this Sunday and she snaps with "Didnt you JUST go?". Ya, about a month ago. More then a month ago. During the SM soft opening! Then she starts telling me how her co-workers make fun of her because I go too Disneyland "every week"? No. The most I have gone was every other week, and it was her asking to go! So I say that im trying to get my money's worth out of my AP and she bust's out "Well you only need to go 4 times to do that, and you have been 10 times!!!". My reply to that is "What would YOU want to do given the option? Go to Disneyland on Sunday, or sit on your azz all day long Sunday?". I thought I had her, but she picked sitting around.... Im not TOTALLY bummed, had a nice little date planned tonight, and this was a bad way to start it off. I already had a bad week at work and was looking forward to winding down this weekend and capping it off with a little fun Sunday. Now its tainted.

I think I will still go for the meet. I love Disneyland. Not as much as many of you, but I now consider it a small hobby. But man I get so much grief from it. Does ANYONE have this sort of situation? I know many people dont understand our facination, but I dont understand how people would rather do nothing, then spend a day in a butiful happy place filled with fun rides an fun people.

I need a hug....

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Disparaging words?!

a lot of my friends always ask me "don't you ever get sick of that place?" or "you go so much! you're obsessed!" ...nobody gets it.

my brother especially thinks i'm weird. he's said "you make disneyland not fun" and "there ARE other places you can go"

my mom just thinks im weird and kind of ignores the fact until i come home from the parks broke.

my dad just ignores my obsession altogether.

oh well, i guess theres some amount of grief attached to any hobby, facination, or obsession. i live with it and nobody will ever ruin disneyland for me.

nevertheless i think people are giving you too much grief about it, and for that i'm sorry. disneyland shouldnt be so difficult to enjoy for one person! haha

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• All? NO, ALL!

I have no problem. Everyone I know thinks it's perfectly normal, and most aren't Disney fans.

Now ska music, that's another story.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    I have no problem. Everyone I know thinks it's perfectly normal, and most aren't Disney fans.

Now ska music, that's another story.
    Pssh! Nobody listens to SKA anymore!

haha just kidding

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• All? NO, ALL!

We have a large clique on the Suburban Legends message board.

I just bought the Charge!! album by The Aquabats today. It is, as they would say, SUPER RAD! They aren't ska anymore, but we still love 'em.

Hey, MasterGracey, are you really the leader of the Disneyland group on Myspace? I've talked to you on there before if so...

• Minion

I'v broken up with friends for calling me a retard that I like Disneyland so much
    After that they call me spoiled They have no idea about the joys of being an AP

• Waiting for the stork

I need a hug....
    gibbage
    I am sorry they are making it so awful for you.

no I have not experienced it on this level I did have Many years where I hid my Disney Obsession from all but my family, but as i have gotton older my obsession has grown stronger... or more accuratly my hobby became my obsession.

in fact I have passed on my obsession to others around me so now a lot of my friends are also Disney obsessed.... which makes it easier now....

I am so sorry that they are taking the fun out of it for you...

It sounds like you live close enough to just pop in for the day...can you go alone if your wife doesn't want to? If so maybe a solo trip (or a few) would be a way to keep your Disney time but allow her to do what she feels like she needs to unwind for the day.
    and If you want to talk about your trips and have noone at home to talk to post reports...we love reading them...
    procrastibating

• Where's my other cent?

Hang in there, gibbage. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm not a native of So Cal. I grew up in the Bay Area and only relocated down here a few years ago for school. While my wife and I were dating, we made it a point to visit at least once every year, cuz it's so close. It was during these trips that I fell in love with Disneyland, at 20, not 5 or 10. We got our APs in April for the first time, and it is such a foriegn idea for us to be able to go so often. Fortunately, she enjoys going, but I do have the sneaking suspicion that I'm the one that is more enthusiastic about it.

Now, the people that give me the most grief would be my folks. Everytime they hear about us going again, they just kinda laugh and give the standard "Don't you get tired of that place?" response. For me, this is a new fascination, so perhaps they'll get used to it, but maybe not. I say, who cares, this is too much fun to be ruined by non-believers!

I feel your pain.

I can only get to Disneyland once every two years or so. So when the time comes and I want to take the kids, my ex-wife crows about how the kids have told her they want to go somewhere else, and "aren't you sick of that place yet?"

The kids invariably have a great time and never want to leave, but I get to hear more later from my ex about how she thinks we should go to Knott's or Sea World or Six Flags or somewhere else next time.

The rest of the family wonders why I like to "waste my money" there when we go.

So few people "get it."
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Gibbage, do your workers hate the way Disney Company is right now, or do they hate the legacy of Disney? Because they're both completely different. I like it's legacy the most.

Just ignore them and go to the park. Everyone has some kind of hobby or passion which someone else will find funny or strange.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I would tell you wife that if her co-workers make fun of you for going to Disneylandd so much then maybe she shuold stop telling then that you go to Disneyland too much...

Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Gibbage,

Be proud of who you are, and be proud that you love Disneyland. There is no reason to be ashamed of it. If your wife and friends make fun of you for it, just say "I am proud of Disneyland and there is noting wrong with that!"

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Awww Gibbage I'm sorry!
    I've dealt with it with friends and family too. In fact, when we moved here a portion of my family was saying it was only to be closer to DL and even when we went once a year I had family members that said "AGAIN"
    Now for the most part, they just roll their eyes at me and alot of the time I just don't tell them I''m going.

My oldest son has gotten teased by his friends too, especially classmates last year that picked on him anyways, by saying it was for babies etc etc. But my boy stood his ground! His close friends that at first teased him, changed their minds when I took them with us! LOL

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyd
    Just ignore them and go to the park. Everyone has some kind of hobby or passion which someone else will find funny or strange.
    Exactly what I was going to say. No one "gets it" unless they feel the same way. The same is true of collecting action figures, Star Wars, role playing, etc. If you like it, people should just accept it and not make judgements about it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast