Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Maliboomer

• =)

Re: The Maliboomer

If we are going to remove something why not remove that Zepplin ride (Not Sure on the name) It's the one with the silver Rockets that go round and Round.
    No worries, it's being evicted, too.

I have to disagree I feel the Maliboomer fits well in the, Victorian Board walk theme.
    That depends on the exact theme of the area. I've yet to hear a well-defined theme for the area from Disney. Is it a boardwalk from the early 20th century? A modern boardwalk? A boardwalk as a bunch of toys might have built it? Or is it just a Disney boardwalk--i.e. its only theme is the unthemedness of a boardwalk? Maliboomer only fits if we're talking about a modern boardwalk, since that sort of ride is a more recent invention than the roller coaster. In any case, there's nothing remotely Disney about it. It may be fun, but there is not one thing about it that makes it belong in a Disney park.

• Seasick

The Maliboomer represents everything that is bad about DCA. It's a non-themed amusement park attraction you can find all over the place. Fun or not, I'm delighted it's on its way to Yesterland. The scream shields always made me feel uncomfortable anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The thing is, Pisces, there's little that can be done thematically with Maliboomer. It is what it is--an attraction that can be found under different names and different decorations in amusement parks across the world. And it's especially redundant now that ToT is part of the same park. How can Maliboomer be rethemed to fit a cohesive theme that feels original and feels "Disney"?
    What makes TOT "Disney"? It has nothing to do with Disney.

Maliboomer is an old-time-y boardwalk ride, reminiscent of retro boardwalk/pier carnivals. If the atmosphere was enhanced with more theme-y jugglers, fiddlers, sawdust, carts, birds, trees (on a boardwalk? Maybe!) better nighttime lighting, tables, shops and restaurants....all those things would easily help Maliboomer. But that's never been tried.

The parking lot right next door should have been developed as a more quality theme-d shopping and dining experience (an ice rink?). A high-quality food court that lit up and stayed open at night, with a possible entrance over that way.

Then there'd be a lot more going on at Maliboomer. The area sees some traffic as it is though, and once World of Color goes in with expanded nighttime shopping and dining (hopefully) .....I bet nobody'd have a problem with Maliboomer at that point.

It's not a generic ride, not with those views.

The cost of dismantling Maliboomer, far outweighs anything else they are going to put in there---in terms of the money they'd save by just leaving it be as an original DCA attraction.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    It's a well-themed, elaborate, immersive attraction that tells a story on top of the thrills. That's what makes it "Disney". One of the last great attractions not based on a Disney movie or character.

• =)

It has everything to do with what Disney parks are supposed to do--transport you to another time and/or place, real or imaginary, in a fun and immersive and unique way. But my point with mentioning ToT wasn't to say that it's perfect or anything--simply that the actual physical experience isn't all that different from Maliboomer, but with better theming. Heck, it has theming in the first place, which already puts it ahead of Maliboomer in that category.

Maliboomer is an old-time-y boardwalk ride, reminiscent of retro boardwalk/pier carnivals.
    The thing is, free fall rides are a relatively new invention, as I said above. There's nothing retro about them--they're quite contemporary. And they are typically installed in places that have very different goals from those of Walt Disney.

The cost of dismantling Maliboomer, far outweighs anything else they are going to put in there---in terms of the money they'd save by just leaving it be as an original DCA attraction.
    Then we should applaud them for finally choosing thematic integrity--or an attempt at it--over financial prudence.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Maliboomer is an old-time-y boardwalk ride, reminiscent of retro boardwalk/pier carnivals. If the atmosphere was enhanced with more theme-y jugglers, fiddlers, sawdust, carts, birds, trees (on a boardwalk? Maybe!) better nighttime lighting, tables, shops and restaurants....all those things would easily help Maliboomer. But that's never been tried.

The parking lot right next door should have been developed as a more quality theme-d shopping and dining experience (an ice rink?). A high-quality food court that lit up and stayed open at night, with a possible entrance over that way.

Then there'd be a lot more going on at Maliboomer. The area sees some traffic as it is though, and once World of Color goes in with expanded nighttime shopping and dining (hopefully) .....I bet nobody'd have a problem with Maliboomer at that point.

It's not a generic ride, not with those views.

Pisces, power to you for sticking to your guns, I'll give credit where it's due BUT DCA (as much as I enjoy it now) does need help and not the kind of help that includes keeping what is already there and sticking some Disney themes on them. Some stuff has to go snd Dis-Co has decided that Maliboomer is one of the things.

Disneyland was built, in part, as an answer to the seedy "amusement parks" of the day built on so many boardwalks...and so 50 years later they build a park that pays homage to that type of park. It never made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Last I heard the area was going to be a nice little garden rest area with new plants and tress. I think that will be nice for the mean time
    I'm not sure how that's a net gain for a Park, that people already don't want to pay admission prices for.

Demolishing a ride, even if it's a ride people don't like......and replacing it with a garden.....

I guess I'm the only one who finds that absurd.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Demolishing a ride, even if it's a ride people don't like......and replacing it with a garden.....

Sure, if that was the entire plan for DCA improvement, you'd be right, it would be absurd. Fortunately the plan is far more than that. By focusing too sharply and micrscopically on something, it can be easy to pick out a flaw here and there. Pulling back and looking at the ultimate big picture, sometimes makes one realize that what looked like a flaw when isolated, is actually a good part of the new flow when seen in total with the rest.

• Senior Minion

It's not a big gain, but it will help the theming and add a nice place to find some shade in the middle of the Pier which is lacking now. Like I said, eventually I'm sure it help free up space for another attraction in that area which is what is really needed. In the short term it sucks to lose a ride, but I'm glad Dis is taking a longer term view on this so that we get the best possible PP in the end.

If we got another ride near Screamin' and a ride in Maliboomer's location, plus TLM, TSMM, WOC, and retheme of MM, plus what's there now, less Maliboomer and Orange Stinger, and you'll turn a pretty crappy land into one packed with cool attractions. I would prefer a great land eventually, to Disney throwing away more money trying to retheme a carnival ride, or keep it as is untill they need that space, and completely detroy the theming.

Plus, it could be that Maliboomer is costing more to maintain and operate than it's worth in terms of riders. Demolishing it and landscaping may cost less than maintenance and operation does for a pretty short period of time. I mean it's a carnival ride, I'm sure a crew of carnies could take it out over a long weekend.

• =)

I'm not sure how that's a net gain for a Park, that people already don't want to pay admission prices for.

No announcement, official or unofficial, has been made that says a garden is going in right there, at least to my knowledge. Be careful not to base your logic too much on mere rumors or armchair Imagineering ideas. However, if a garden were placed right there...what would be so wrong with that? One of DCA's many problems is the concrete jungle syndrome--lots of very manmade stuff, not much nature. Disneyland has grown into a beautiful park with a lot of areas that feel very natural. DCA needs a little of that. Keep in mind Maliboomer's footprint is pretty small, anyway. There's not room for much in that spot. Which is part of the cheap appeal of a mass-produced Space Shot ride or something to that effect.

The something-is-better-than-nothing mentality is rarely applicable in theme parks. It's not enough for there to be something. It needs to be something good. And honoring the sort of place Walt was trying to move away from is not the way to do it in a Disney park, if you ask me.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Another Disney fan from Nor-cal, yay...WELCOME.
    Word! Welcome, welcome!

I have never ridden the Maliboomer, and don't plan to. I'm sure it COULD be themed appropriately, but it'd just be a huge stretch. Kind of like most of DCA.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    No worries, it's [Golden Zephyr] being evicted, too.
    Last I heard, the Golden Zephyr was staying.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

The scream shields killed that ride.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

one of the main problems i have with maliboomer other than its not exactly family friendly is that its an off the shelf ride that is everywhere
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• =)

Last I heard, the Golden Zephyr was staying.
    I believe aside from Screamin' and the Sun Wheel, most of the carnival/Six Flags attractions are going.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast