Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Maliboomer

Re: The Maliboomer

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Then we should applaud them for finally choosing thematic integrity--or an attempt at it--over financial prudence.
    Which is, of course, really a different and superior form of financial prudence, as they've unnecessarily had to learn the hard way: real, physical product differentiation instead of just slapping on the Disney name and spewing marketing mumbo-jumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Wasn't the Maliboomer supposed to look like one of those carnival games where you hit the hammer as hard as you can and see if the thing hits the bell at the top?
    Yes, exactly, but bona fide Disney attractions, regardless of whether they are themed with Disney intellectual property, ought to provide a themed experience for the riders/audience, not just a minimal facade bolted to an ordinary amusement park ride.

Frankly, if I were overseeing DCA's (or whatever it's ultimately going to be named) resurrection, I would have the entire Paradise Pier area demolished and replaced with something better altogether. The concept is deeply, irreparably flawed to begin with, and the existing attractions are cheap enough to completely write off--no big loss. Perhaps part of this sizable area could then be devoted to the myriad ways in which California is connected to the ocean (Ariel would definitely belong), from leisure to commerce to science. And while this might sound crazy to some, perhaps Disney could acquire the remaining themed elements of Knott's Berry Farm (probably for cheap) before Cedar Fair decides to have them razed anyway. After all, they're a part of California's history--both on their own and as part of a fading theme park. Normally, I wouldn't pretend to know what "Walt would've done" but he was good friends with the Knott family, so I think at the very least his frozen head wouldn't object.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 06-06-2008 at 06:47 PM.

I love California Screamin', and would hate to see that demolished.

"I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent Fan View Post
    I originally posted this picture in the Maliboomer removal thread, but I think it would fit in here just as well.

This is how the pier will look when the MaliBOOMer! gets removed, along with the possible removal of Orange Stinger. I also added in Mickey's face upon the ferris wheel and touched up the missing parts of the hotel. (I know its not the greatest picture; I'll probably try and do a better and more realistic one later on -- but it gives you a rough visualization!)
    The Pier looks great without the maliboomer and the orange stinger. I just wish they would update the sun wheel, instead of the proposed "Mickey's Fun Wheel"

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymark34 View Post
    I love California Screamin', and would hate to see that demolished.
    Yeah, it's a good coaster in and of itself, and I like it, too. However, this wouldn't stop me from doing what needs to be done in order to fix the park. Maybe the current owners of Knott's Berry Farm would take it in a straight-up trade: California Screamin' for Ghost Town + Mystery Lodge. It's a win-win all around.

As for the rest of the park, I'd change it A LOT because it's thematically weak. Most of the Pixar stuff has to go, as it doesn't fit, assuming that the park will still be about California in some capacity. I'd change the main theme and essentially start over if it were feasible to do so, in all honesty.

At the very least, though, the "homage" to the very antithesis of Disney theme parks--namely Paradise Pier--has to go. It was a dumb idea from the start--just a cynical excuse to fill a large portion of the park with generic, off-the-shelf rides that everyone else has. This space could have been and should now be used, for example, to showcase significant milestones in California history mixed (carefully ) with legends and fiction, such as Zorro for one (how cool would a Zorro attraction be?!). Geez, Disney sure did a sucky job with this park. They've got the money now, but fixing the park will take guts--General Patton-type GUTS!--and from what I've seen so far, I seriously doubt that they have it in them. Toy Story Midway Mania...sigh...such limited vision....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234