Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dreams Do Come True!

Lightbulb LED Disney's Electrical Parade

Imagine how bright and much more colorful Disney's Electrical parade will look if it would all be in LED lights, WOW does anyone know if they are gonna do it of if it might be in the process!?

• All You Need is Love!

Re: LED Disney's Electrical Parade

I don't think they would do it. Too many people would be upset that the floats don't look the same. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "Light Magic" use LED?
    (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    I don't think they would do it. Too many people would be upset that the floats don't look the same. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "Light Magic" use LED?
    Light Magic used Fiber Optic lighting that was supposed to be the big new amazing replacement thingy because Spectromagic had been doing it for several years already and then fantillusion started using it.

• All You Need is Love!

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Light Magic used Fiber Optic lighting that was supposed to be the big new amazing replacement thingy because Spectromagic had been doing it for several years already and then fantillusion started using it.
    Oh! Thanks! I got a bit confused.

Well anyways, I kinda like the lights they have now. We even were able to buy one when the parade was leaving.
    (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I like the brightness of LED, however it vibrates and I think it would be too harsh for some guests eyes. Also, it seems as if the blues and greens stand out way more than the other colors and I would think that the floats would come off too blue. JMO.

Spectromagic is an awesome parade, and I think it would be wonderful if Disneyland would update the MSEP with some of the effects used in Spectro. It would also be great if they would add some new units. They used to have an IASW unit, and it would be fun to see some attractions represented, like Pirates, HM, Indy, etc.

Keep the same soundtrack of course, but add accordingly to new units...

• Banned User

I say make a new version, but with sections based on each land. They could have the opening float as Main Street with a new Version of the train and drum, then follow with the rest of the lands. Have Disney Characters that correspond with the theme appear on each float, but don't focus on them.

• Munchings & Crunchings

"I like the brightness of LED, however it vibrates and I think it would be too harsh for some guests eyes. Also, it seems as if the blues and greens stand out way more than the other colors and I would think that the floats would come off too blue. JMO."

Yes, I'm one of those who is bothered by the vibrations. I could not stare at the parade for very long before getting eystrain or a headache. I like the theory of LED's, but it hopefully wouldn't be the "christmas bulb" kind that flicker...

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    Well anyways, I kinda like the lights they have now. We even were able to buy one when the parade was leaving.
    I have a very unique Main Street Electrical Parade souvenir.

I worked in Wardrobe/Costuming for shows and parades for several years (including MSEP). During a Christmas parade, two of the rhino heads had some sort of problem right before step-off. I had to hurry back to the float warehouse where we also kept extra rhino heads (that sounds funny!). The rhino heads were big and front-heavy with the big horns. They were attached to two metal rods and ended in a back brace that would strap around the performer. Normally, I would carry one head, load it into the truck, and then go back for the other head. I was in a hurry this time and hoisted a rhino head onto each shoulder. I couldn't see anything directly in front and below me because of the furry heads, but I could see just a smidge between the horns. I was walking very fast, carrying the rhino heads on my shoulders, and walked right smack into the MSEP caterpillar. I hit that thing HARD. The little plastic flowers around the bulbs where I smashed into them cracked and broke into a pile as I spun around, still carrying the rhino heads, while saying some very un-Disney-like words.

Curse ye, ya stinkin' worm!

I carry the mark of the MSEP caterpillar on my thigh to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    I like the brightness of LED, however it vibrates and I think it would be too harsh for some guests eyes. Also, it seems as if the blues and greens stand out way more than the other colors and I would think that the floats would come off too blue.
    If they use the right LEDs and power them correctly, they shouldn't vibrate the way that the cheap holiday lights do. Think of the LEDs they use in traffic lights now (assuming you live in a place where they've been replaced.) Those are quite bright, have great deep color, and don't vibrate at all.

For Halloween, me and my friend went as the MSEP and I wired up costumes with LEDs... they looked great! The only drawback is that LEDs are almost too bright, and the light has a narrower field of vision, but those can both be fixed.

• Progressive Disneylander

I don't think that the change is necessary. It would be a lot of $$ for something that people kinda like as is. I'd prefer it that way, but it wouldn't matter to me either way. The last thing we need is another protest over small changes to classic attractions.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post

You know the Light Magic thing would work so much better today if it was retheme more towards the Fairies promotion they have had for the past while, if you think about it.. there almost same thing lol

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

LEDs would be a very impressive look for the electric light parade. It would take more planning to balance the color due to the observed brightness as mentioned above but that is doable. The vibrating issue mentioned above is also not an issue. That phenomenon is a side effect of using AC to drive LEDs.

LEDs are diodes which mean they only work when current flows one direction. For cheap strings running on AC this usually means that the light is only let for half of each cycle. This leads to a slight pulsating that some people perceive and can be very distracting.

However; that issue is easily overcome with proper circuit design which Disney is certainly capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by serviceelevator View Post
    Imagine how bright and much more colorful Disney's Electrical parade will look if it would all be in LED lights, WOW does anyone know if they are gonna do it of if it might be in the process!?
    One things for sure, it would consume a lot less power! I imagine that each individual character would need only carry a rechargeable NiCad battery.

Quote Originally Posted by phar View Post
    LEDs would be a very impressive look for the electric light parade. It would take more planning to balance the color due to the observed brightness as mentioned above but that is doable. The vibrating issue mentioned above is also not an issue. That phenomenon is a side effect of using AC to drive LEDs.

LEDs are diodes which mean they only work when current flows one direction. For cheap strings running on AC this usually means that the light is only let for half of each cycle. This leads to a slight pulsating that some people perceive and can be very distracting.

However; that issue is easily overcome with proper circuit design which Disney is certainly capable of.
    They would no doubt be runing off DC batteries, so no flicker.

• Banned User

LED's can get quite pricey, but if they integrated LED screen technology into the parade, then that would be truly spectacular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast