Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doing Disneyland with Food Allergies?

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

Hi!

I'm planning a trip to Disneyland during the first week of June (I know, I know...only time I got vacation) and so I have been squirreling away little tidbits of information and fun stuff to help make my trip wonderful.

Slight problem is that I have a wheat allergy and so I have to stick to a gluten free diet. I'm rather bummed that I can no longer have my chowder in a bread bowl or the very delicious churros. I have other food allergies but those are much easier to avoid than wheat and gluten. I'd rather not have to take in a ton of my own food if I can help it.

Do any of the restaurants list allergy data or ingredients lists?

• =)

Re: Doing Disneyland with Food Allergies?

Hmm, not to my knowledge, unfortunately. You can often ask the chef or manager or the like, though. I have two family members with peanut allergies--in one case a life-threatening allergy--and I've been to lots of public eateries with them. Just make sure you talk to someone who absolutely knows what they're talking about...and while you're at it, bring plenty of safe food with you to the park just in case.

Thankfully, I don't have any food allergies, but I do have a wide variety of unfortunate eating restrictions, so I feel some of your pain. You can do it, though! Best of luck.

• MiceAge Columnist

I'm allergic to garlic which is a big problem because it seems to be in everything. It's been my experience that in any of the sit-down restaurants at the resort, if you make the server aware of your allergy, they communicate that to the chef and special food is prepared just for you. In the beginning, I kind of hated asking for special treatment like that, but I quickly learned that it's not a problem and not one person serving me has ever seemed to mind. In fact, they have gone out of their way to accommodate, and I have had some spectacular meals served as a result.

If you're not planning on eating at a sit-down restaurant, ask the cast member at any restaurant about the ingredients. They can find out what is in the food and let you know if there is an offending ingredient. I don't know if this is possible, but you might even be able to get allergy data at City Hall.

I guess the bottom line is ask questions, let the cast members know about about your food allergies. The last thing they want is to have a guest get sick, and they are very, very, willing to make sure you get what you need.

• =)

In the beginning, I kind of hated asking for special treatment like that, but I quickly learned that it's not a problem and not one person serving me has ever seemed to mind.
    I think a lot of people feel that way at first, but it's imperative that the silliness of that attitude be caught, as you did. Customers have a right to not be killed by their food, you know?

Oh, and I forgot--welcome to Micechat, lurker Keijra!

Thank you! Glad to be here.

I used to be pretty timid about making special requests at restaurants too. I got over that pretty fast once I had a bad reaction though. I then figured that restaurants really don't want their guests to keel over dead in the booth and they would much rather I make a nuisance of myself to avoid that problem.

• =)

Do you have an EpiPen or something to that effect? (I'm only familiar with peanut allergies, so I don't know if allergic reactions to wheat can be temporarily stabilized in the same way.)

My wheat allergy isn't the type of reaction that would require an epi (it is a bit more *ahem* delicate than that).

I do carry one though because I have other food allergies that can trigger an anaphylactic reaction. I also have my ever present Benedryl quick dissolve strips.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I remember when i had to rule wheat out of my diet for awhile to see if i was allergic. It was hard for me because i LOVE bread and churros and SO MANY things have flour, wheat or gluten in them. I would request protein style burgers at counter service places. Most of them are happy to wrap your burger in lettuce if need be. Yes it can be hard but look on the bright side, you'll be at Disneyland! You can at least have Dole Whips!!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kruse View Post
    I'm allergic to garlic which is a big problem because it seems to be in everything.
    I have the same problem! Garlic, bah! Why do people think it needs to be in EVERY thing! I don't have a true allergy to garlic (which I have come to learn only means you can die from it to be a true allergy - like the famous peanut allergies), but I do have strong symptoms that are very unpleasant if I eat garlic. So I feel your pain!

• phbbbbbt

I saw a thread at a Celiac message board that had a list of which chef to talk to, depending on where you were eating... Maybe celiac.com? Yep, it was definitely there...

It's this thread, second page, about halfway down-- http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index...howtopic=28570 One poster says to ask for a list at City Hall.
    xo, Deanna

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

City Hall is the Holy Grail for info. Always start there, they will help you.

Welcome to MiceChat!

My wife and one of my kids is allergic to eggs. Talk about having to be careful.

I trust that if you are used to living with the diet restrictions due to your allergies, Disneyland won't any different. Ask your server (be matter of fact... not 'whiny' or wishy washy), but expect blank stares most of the time in fast food settings. Stick with foods that are safe, and if in doubt bring your own supply of goodies.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

I have a friend with the same issue, it's so fun when restaurants have Gluten free menus! Neato.

I'd say just go directly to City Hall. They will help!

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Happiest Girl On Earth

If you seek any guest relations cast member (City Hall often has a long line, so you can also go to the Info Board), they will be able to get you a list of food items and locations for a gluten free diet. Same goes for Koscher items, as well...

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

• Rock Star Minion

Don't eat anything.
    Bring your own.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast