Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Is the park in better shape than it was years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Gotta agree with sediment here.

I think, overall, the park is currently in very nice shape, maintenance and appearance-wise. However, thematically, I'd have to say it's on a slippery slope.

I was just about to say that.

We seem to have at least people working that do care about the parks. BUT... the direction of where it's all going is definitely feeling out of touch with what it should be.

Disneyland was a place for adventure, exploration, fantasy, and an escape to the past. The direction now is more like Universal Studios where everything is based on a movie.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• =)

I think, overall, the park is currently in very nice shape, maintenance and appearance-wise. However, thematically, I'd have to say it's on a slippery slope.
    I think that's a perfect way of describing it. Now, it is pretty freaking high up on that slope, which is great, but that also means there's all the more possible downhill speed unless traction is found again.

Re: Is the park is in better shape than it was years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Hmm: better than 1996-2002, not as good as 2005, nowhere near 1989.
    Nothing concrete about PeopleMover yet. Eyesore.

On Saturday, busiest day I've been to in 15-20 years, there was one monorail running, and a lot of people waiting. After waiting 10 minutes for its return (just missed it), it had some mechanical issue and had to be taken out of service. One!
    The resort only has one monorail in operation currently. What is it that you expected them to do? And purple has problems CONSTANTLY, this is no surprise.

The park wasnt even that busy on saturday. It was, but it wasnt. They did have a million dancers and choir thing, but it wasnt that bad. The numbers werent high enough for the leads to mention the in-park numbers before pyro.

I started going before there was a space mountain, so we've been going for quite some time. But this last trip out, I found the place to be in the overall best shape I've seen it in. Only Small World was in obvious need of a refurb. And even bratty purple was on its best monorail behavior. The food was overall on average better than it was years ago. All in all, it was in excellent shape. We were pleased. I took Walt Disney World regulars with me and they were all very impressed.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Now, it is pretty freaking high up on that slope, which is great, but that also means there's all the more possible downhill speed unless traction is found again.
    Good points, but I don't think it's as high on the slope as we may think. Compared to pre-Pressler days, the changes in attractions, entertainment, food and merchandise have hardly been positive. Fewer attractions, more toonification, less entertainment, fewer restaurants with less unique offerings, homogenization of previously unique merchandise venues -- even the lessening of photogenic views and places to sit, thanks to the proliferation of ODV carts. Thanks largely to Matt and Greg the decay of the physical plant has been halted... but Matt and Greg are gone. And we don't even have to mention the decline of CM longetivity, experience and pay.

It's what Kevin Yee refers to when he talks about "declining by degrees." Bit by bit, year by year, the whole show slips.

IMO it's been sliding in a small way since the late '80's/early '90's, and in a big way since at least 1995. And the slide shows no sign of slowing, much less reversing and returning the Park to its pre-Pressler level.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-17-2008 at 01:08 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Thanks, Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by Lookuss View Post
    Wasn't Disneyland in pretty bad shape when Eisner was in control...?
    Eisner was in control, he was CEO that called all these shots.

He was the one who plucked Pressler from the Disney Stores (where he had been opening several hundred more stores around the world and making more money than the legendary Animation Studios) and stuck him in Disneyland presidency. Then he got moved up to Chairman of Parks and Resorts and his lackey Cynthia Harriss (also from the Disney Stores) was appointed President.

The only two deaths that Disney is entirely at fault for happened during this era. Pressler and Harriss were so focused on shifting all efforts in the park to dining and merchandising and trying to reach Eisner's entirely unrealistic profit goals that the upkeep of the park and attraction maintenance took a sharp plummet.

The company is now paying $1.2 billion to correct Eisner/Pressler/Harriss's outdoor shopping mall of a theme park.

I think that sums it up nicely.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Good points, but I don't think it's as high on the slope as we may think. Compared to pre-Pressler days, the changes in attractions, entertainment, food and merchandise have hardly been positive. Fewer attractions, more toonification, less entertainment, fewer restaurants with less unique offerings, homogenization of previously unique merchandise venues -- even the lessening of photogenic views and places to sit, thanks to the proliferation of ODV carts. Thanks largely to Matt and Greg the decay of the physical plant has been halted... but Matt and Greg are gone. And we don't even have to mention the decline of CM longetivity, experience and pay.

It's what Kevin Yee refers to when he talks about "declining by degrees." Bit by bit, year by year, the whole show slips.

IMO it's been sliding in a small way since the late '80's/early '90's, and in a big way since 1995. And the slide shows no sign of slowing, much less reversing and returning the Park to its pre-Pressler level.

Agreed. I think 1995 was the last year of something really amazing at Disneyland.
    And while Disneyland has still a long way to go (in my opinion), the animation side of things has finally started its journey back to the old standards, first by bringing back 2D and shorts and also by abandoning all those direct to dvd sequels. But I suppose you can say that animation at Disney really hit rock bottom so there was only one way to go.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

It is indeed better than it was, although there is always room for improvement, and memory always wants to rose-color the window to the past.

It is worth remembering that the original Pressler-Harris plans for the 50th were essentially to do nothing at all other than merchandising events. This makes the job that Matt Ouimet did loom that much larger, and oh how I wish he had been able to stay on longer than he did. If the Pixar deal had gone through a few years earlier, I imagine he would have.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Eisner lost his touch when Wells died in that freak helicopter crash.
    I think it's more that Eisner lost the guy that would say no to him. Eisner was supposed to be the idea guy, and Frank was the practical one. And when the idea guy suddenly becomes in charge of the numbers, bad things can happen. Idea guys generally have tons of ideas, and only a few are good and practical. An effective filter helps find the good ones, while the sediment is left behind.

(Hey!)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I agree with Sed on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Gotta agree with sediment here.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I was just about to say that.
    (I assume this was in reference to me, too.)
    Thanks, for the compliments, all.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• my favorite sociopath

You know, last time I went to Disneyland was back in 2000. The first thing I noticed was how clean it was. I think you guys need to go to a few state and county fairs to appeciate what you got.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nolimit View Post
    The resort only has one monorail in operation currently. What is it that you expected them to do? And purple has problems CONSTANTLY, this is no surprise.
    Well, I wished I had known this before walking over to the monorail station in order to avoid walking all the way to DTD for dinner. If I knew the risk, I would have chosen to walk without the 12-minute wait on the platform.

We ended up walking anyway, and were too tired to continue our day afterward.

So, why only one monorail in operation? And why choose purple to run if it has problems constantly? Are the others better, but needed their rest? Couldn't they rest on a less busy day during the week?

Anywho, chalk this up as part of the maintenance-deferral policies caused by the only cause of all the problems of DL.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NemoVir View Post
    You know, last time I went to Disneyland was back in 2000. The first thing I noticed was how clean it was. I think you guys need to go to a few state and county fairs to appeciate what you got.
    Um, that's the reason I DON'T go to county and state fairs.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by NemoVir View Post
    Comparing "state and county fairs" to Disneyland is like comparing Bud Light to Dom Perignon Champagne... they're not even in the same class.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Mrs. J. Depp

I go to our local fair for just the food, animals, and the exhibits. Those rides are scary, they always look like their going to fall apart while in operation.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12