Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

Would you like to live at Universal Studios?

Nope, you never hear anyone ask that question. Neither do you hear from people who want to live at Magic Mountain, Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World, or Lego Land...or DCA.

But every few months, on this board and others, variations of this question are posed, often by an adult: "Would you like to live in Disneyland?"

I brought this subject up on the "L.A. Times Slam" thread in response between two MiceChatters arguing about whether or not good theming makes a good amusement park. Disneyfann121 thought themeing was, um, nice, but unnecessary. JiminyCricketFan suggested theme plays a far more important role, in creating a "different world."

"A different world." In fact, Walt Disney did say, "I want people to feel they are in another world" when speaking about Disneyland.

So, why do so many people want to live at Disneyland, and not at other parks? Have we discovered something here--have we found a clue as to what sets Disneyland apart? Is it "livable" as none of the other parks I mentioned are? And if so...why?

I admit that as a child, the thought of actually "living" at Disneyland held lots of appeal for me. And clearly for some, it still does. Heck, even today, I think living in the NOS apartment would be nice, and actually, something that isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility. Not that I could live there. But someone could live there. It's almost like Walt Disney designed the Park as living space, with beautiful views out nearly every window (or, at least, the windows of his two on-site residences).

Does the notion of theme go beyond the idea that details, architecture and landscape should all work in harmony? After all, several sections of DCA might be considered to be well-themed. Knott's Ghost town is (or was) very well themed. But does it go deeper?

This notion that someone would actually want to live at Disneyland--because it is highly themed, and because that theming allows one to see the realms as something more than amusement park real estate--clearly sets Disneyland apart from its competition. Is Walt Disney's success in creating a themed world that exists in reality--someplace where someone could actually consider living, something the Imagineers charged with improving DCA should look more closely at?

Disneyland a different world? You bet it is.

• =)

Re: Would you like to live at Universal Studios?

You're talking about something I often refer to, in the theme park context, as "integrity." Going above and beyond, making it clear to those who pay attention that the money is only a small part of why you're creating this place. Disneyland indeed feels very livable--at least in the better areas--almost as if you'd expect to see the locals popping their heads out of the windows and such. It's a really unique and special feeling.

• Rock Star Minion

Well, considering that some people don't like living even near it, I think your question is a waste of valuable internet electrons.

How about, "Would you like to live in North Carolina?" Now there's a good question.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Your thread just isn't relevant, Steve. As the IASW 'refurb' proves--people just want the characters. WD is dead and buried; besides, "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world".

He clearly wanted the park to 'evolve' past the constrictive, archaic notions of theme and detail. We are in a new era celebrating growth and relevance--drag yourself out of the fifties. Get with the program.

in case someone actually needs this:

•   

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    How about, "Would you like to live in North Carolina?" Now there's a good question.
    I think you just criticized and answered your own question:
    Well, considering that some people don't like living even near it, I think your question is a waste of valuable internet electrons.

• =)

::sad chortle::

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I think you just criticized and answered your own question:

Oh, I just like to dig at Steve for living so far away from DL.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Progressive Disneylander

I'd live at Universal Studios in a heartbeat.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Oh, I just like to dig at Steve for living so far away from DL.
    I think, more accurately, that you like to dig at Steve for living in North Carolina...you elitist .

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I think, more accurately, that you like to dig at Steve for living in North Carolina...you elitist .
    I thought we were all elitist, otherwise we would be at the Magic Mountain fan site.

Meet Your Magic Mountain Fellow Fans
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• RCMC BlackSmith

I wouldnt like to live in DL, but I would live at WDW in a heartbeat! I would like to live in one of the houses they are building where the golf course used to be.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

•   

Regardless of where you live, most people appreciate attention to detail, and if given a choice, will make it their preference. The success of DL has been founded upon setting itself apart from the crowd, and has done so with lavish appointments and coherent, quality storytelling--whether that storytelling is being done literally, visually, or architecturally.

DL is more often than not an example of what a financial commitment to creativity and quality can acheive. Or, some might argue, that's what it used to be. Depends on what standard is being used to measure its more recent accomplishments, I suppose.

• Mrs. J. Depp

What a crazy question. Who WOULDN'T want to live in Disneyland? Or DCA for that matter. I can just imagine making the cozy apartment above the firehouse my own little space. Or the dream suite in NOS. I really wouldn't mind a penthouse suite in the GCH either overlooking DCA. You are all out of your mind. And you call yourself Disney Fans!!!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• =)

Or DCA for that matter.
    I wouldn't.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

So basically, even though the thread title says one thing (misleadingly so), it is, in fact, another "Would you like to live in Disneyland" thread. Yep, it's just exactly what MiceChat needed. Thank you!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast