Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Why is DCA disliked so much compared to MGM?

I just returned from a trip to WDW and after reading many of the posts pointing out how terrible DCA is I wonder why there are not the same comments towards MGM? Is it because MGM started small and was expanded quickly vs. being built on the cheap and having to be rebuilt almost from scratch?

It seems like the parks compare quite well to each other, several close or at least similar attractions (ToT, Screamin' and RRC, Muppet Vision, animation studio), plus DCA has soarin' and several more.

I've always been one of the minority that likes DCA. The one area I don't like is everything between Screamin' and Golden Dreams.

I'm excited about the changes and additions (hopefully they'll change the name of Carsland to a generic sothwest term), it's always exciting to see the hard earned dollars I have spent with Disney being reinvested in improvements and added attractions!!!
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Why is DCA disliked so much compared to MGM?

It shouldn't be. I prefer DCA to Disney Hollywood Studios.

• Circle of Ancients

I prefer DHS personally, and I like DCA.

I just think that DHS has not only some good rides (Tower, RnRC, Star Tours), good shows (Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic, Lights Motors Action), but it's ALSO got great restaurants (Brown Derby, 50's, Drive-In).

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Skawt View Post
    I just returned from a trip to WDW and after reading many of the posts pointing out how terrible DCA is I wonder why there are not the same comments towards MGM? Is it because MGM started small and was expanded quickly vs. being built on the cheap and having to be rebuilt almost from scratch?

It seems like the parks compare quite well to each other, several close or at least similar attractions (ToT, Screamin' and RRC, Muppet Vision, animation studio), plus DCA has soarin' and several more.

I've always been one of the minority that likes DCA. The one area I don't like is everything between Screamin' and Golden Dreams.

I'm excited about the changes and additions (hopefully they'll change the name of Carsland to a generic sothwest term), it's always exciting to see the hard earned dollars I have spent with Disney being reinvested in improvements and added attractions!!!

I think the only reason behind it is maybe you haven't read enough threads about it. Being here awhile I think it's quite clear that the majority of micechatters who have been to both DCA and DHS prefer DCA.... although there are no real winners in that comparison.

DCA has variety (if you can call it that). DHS is just Hollywood Pictures Backlot (or an Epcot pavilion) expanded into a full sized park but they never quite accomplished that goal of filling it up.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

I think people were just disappointed, you have to remember many of us Californians have never been to Florida so DL was their only comparison for what a Disney park should be like. Personally, I only went to MGM/DHS once back when it first opened so I can't compare the two realistically, but that is the case with many DL fans. It's a combination between not getting WestCOT or DisneySea and primarily comparing it to DL that leaves so many so critical of DCA IMO.

It also really was a bad idea, executed poorly as well, so it does leave something to be desired, but I don't hate it, I just don't like it that much. I really don't know why people have so much venom about it but those are some of the reasons that I know people are so critical of DCA.

In regard to the comparison of DCA and DHS, I think most reasonable people, whose opinions I respect, seem to think they are pretty equal. Again, this is just my impression as I can't fairly judge myself.

• =)

Of the two, I've only been to DCA, so I don't compare. But unfortunately, every amusement park, theme park, carnival, or fair I go to bears the unenviable burden of being compared to the gold standard--Disneyland. And everything else just seems to pale, at least by a little bit, by comparison.

• The line's too long...

In Orlando, you've got four Disney parks to choose from, so if one falls short it's not going to get as much attention since there is so much variety. In SoCal, we only have two and the one that falls short does so in glaring fashion opposite the best park of them all.

• =)

Good point, vfire.

• Minion

DHS in part at least, has great theming (Hollywood, Sunset, and to an extent Echo lake) and these areas still have great streetmosphere. I think as a park it still has a greater sense of purpose than does DCA, in spite of all that's gone wrong since 1995. DCA has many great rides but they seem somewhat randomly thrown together. The unthemed or lightly themed areas of DHS are like that because they were never intended to be seen by guests as such...they were originally part of the Backlot Tour. At DCA, the visitor areas are intentionally spartan (though that, hopefully, will change in the next ten years).

DHS as a whole is one of cases that gives a great sense of sadness at what wasn't built. Here's what didn't get built (for benefit of anyone not familiar with them)...all which would have advanced the theme of Hollywood's (1930s / 1940s) Golden Age (which has largely been ignored since 1995 or thereabouts). [Almost all these were officially announced as part of Eisner's "Disney Decade"]

* The west side of Sunset Blvd was left incomplete (there were to be a variety of themed shops and restaurants, such as the Coconut Lounge).

* A red trolley was supposed to run down the center of Sunset and Hollywood, like in Roger Rabbit.

* Three Roger Rabbit rides, including a motion simulator, in the area now occupied by Rock N Roller Coaster (which IMO has a very tenuous connection to the theme). This area did not get built because of legal wrangling with Amblin.

* The 2-D New York Street Set (originally part of the Backlot Tour) was going to be replaced with real buildings and become "Muppet Studios". This would have had two attractions..."Muppet Vision" and "The Great Muppet Movie Ride" (the latter was a spoof of the park's own "Great Movie Ride"). Muppet Vision of course got built but the GMMR fell through after Jim Henson's sudden death...with Disney getting into conflict with the Henson family.

* Dick Tracy ride (known alternately as Crimestoppers or Gangster Shootout) which used a combination of enhanced motion vehicles and interactive guns. The location of this ride wasn't specified. The ride got shelved after Dick Tracy did only moderately well at the Box Office (a lame excuse to kill a great, thematically appropriate ride, IMO).

* Indiana Jones Adventure (same as in Disneyland, but with theming closer to Tokyo's) to be built on an expansion using the first ten rows of parking adjacent to the Indy Stunt Show. (Will this eventually get built?)

* Various additions to the Backlot Tour (nowadays there seem only to be subtractions).

What a park DHS could have been if these had been implemented...it would have been up there with the very best of them. At present though, the future for DCA is definitely the brighter of the two.
    Last edited by tasman; 04-17-2008 at 04:06 PM.

• ... the Axis of Awesome

But unfortunately, every amusement park, theme park, carnival, or fair I go to bears the unenviable burden of being compared to the gold standard--Disneyland. And everything else just seems to pale, at least by a little bit, by comparison.
    I disagree, DisneySea is incredible. If they would rip out everything BUT paradise pier and TLM, which could be themed well into the park, DisneySea would not only pack them in, it would make people with only one day passes genuinely have a choice. DisneySea on theming, rides and fun is as much fun as Disneyland in my opinion. You just need to have a ride other than Indy in Lost River Delta and add a magic carpet rollar coaster in Arabia and you're there.

You can rise up, if you're willing to.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan. -- John Lasseter

• Dave

Blog Entries

As one whom has yet to make it to Disney World my two quetions are: First, what is MGM Disney all about. Second, isn't Magic Kingdom a carbon copy of Disneyland.
    One final point, I know alot of fans don't like the same rides being in all the parks, example Tower OF Terror,but for those of who may never make it to either Coast its' kind of nice. I for one think a ride like Rockin would fit well in Hollywood back lot, granted I know nothing about it, but it seems to fit better than Monsters, Inc.
    Dave

I grew up with my parents taking us to WDW every couple of years and I have recently returned from a trip to WDW in Feb. I have also just moved to southern cal. and now I have experienced both. To me MGM is more geared toward adults. They do have a lot of attrations geared toward kids but not as much as the Magic Kingdom. One of my best times there was just enjoying a really good italian meal for hours without the hussel and bussel of the other fast paced parks. MGM does have similar qualities as DCA but MGM does with Hollywood and Movies what DCA does with CA itself.
    And yes Magic Kingdom is very similar to DL but there are some rides that are there that aren't there at DL and vice versa. And WDW has more room to play with. I don't have a personal favorite but what I like about DL is that you know you are getting what Walt's dream really was. But I do view WDW as a vacation spot and WDL as a nice thing to do on the weekends.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post

One final point, I know alot of fans don't like the same rides being in all the parks, example Tower OF Terror,but for those of who may never make it to either Coast its' kind of nice. I for one think a ride like Rockin would fit well in Hollywood back lot, granted I know nothing about it, but it seems to fit better than Monsters, Inc.

At present, Disney-MGM is a hodge podge. As originally intended, it was divided into two parts. The front part, themed to the Golden Age Hollywood, was a celebration of the magic of the movies. The back part was a functional extension of Disney Studios, with a backlot tour similar to Universal Hollywood. The Studio idea didn't work out so these unthemed backlot areas were subsequently incongruously integrated with the themed sections out front. See also my post on the previous page about what wasn't built in the 1990s,..these would have made a big difference to the park. Instead there have been some fairly random additions in the last 13 or 14 years...some with little thematic coherence.

For a west coast resident MK probably has little to offer that Disneyland doesn't. However, it's still a nice park despite the decline in quality that it has experienced in the last 14 years or so. And personally, I love Mickey's Philharmagic, which hasn't yet made it out west.
    Last edited by tasman; 04-17-2008 at 04:24 PM.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

I prefer DCA to DHS.
    The reason DCA is disliked so much is it is probably being compared to other resorts' 2nd parks- like the grand Epcot and the amazing TDS. If DCA were a third park, the reception might have been a slight bit better. Just MHO.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    As one whom has yet to make it to Disney World my two quetions are: First, what is MGM Disney all about. Second, isn't Magic Kingdom a carbon copy of Disneyland.
    Dave, Disney Hollywood Studios is basically like Hollywood Pictures Backlot area of DCA, only for an entire park. It's all about the movies.

You've got the Sunset Blvd. area (which I guess is kind of like the main road of HPB where Animation, etc is) but done MUCH better. You've got the shops in the area and then looming in the distance, shocker, you can actually see Tower of Terror. It's themed to an abandoned hotel (you know the story) but in the case of MGM, it's on top of a hill, looking over Sunset Blvd.

Here is an idea of what it looks like

Also in this area you have Rock n' Roller coaster (which is kind of off to the side) but it's themed to a record studio. Still kind of Sunset Blvd. esque.

Then you've got the Echo Lake which is kind of like the La Brea tar pits area (not sure what this has to do with Hollywood) but it looks good.

You've got the Star Tours area

You've got the "Studios" which is more of the animation stuff and also one mans dream

You've got the "Chinese Theatre" which is where the Great Movie Ride is

You've got New York Street, which reminds me alot of Universal Studios Hollywood

And you've also got the backlot tour and 3 VERY well themed restaurants as well as Fantasmic which has it's own theatre.

So as you can see, at least IMO, the theming at MGM is MUCH better than DCA ... there are more "quality" shows (Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic, Indy, Lights Motors Action) and of course the awesome "Streetmosphere".

As far as MK being "Disneyland", well yes and no.

Some things in the MK are done better than Disneyland: Lots more space, Beautiful castle, etc. I'm not going to get in to the "Which rides are better where" argument, because then this thread will go down a whole other road.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast