• Banned User

Will Toy Story Mania have soft openings the week before opening?

Hey guys -- I've got a trip planned for the weekend before TSM opens. Any chance it'll have a soft opening by then?

•   

Re: Will Toy Story Mania have soft openings the week before opening?

Most likely that answer will be "yes." However, soft openings don't last all day - usually. I would not make any plans around potential openings, they are too unpredicatable.

• Animation Domination

It's going to be open on a Thursday so it might be a soft opening, but on the other hand it's going to be summer.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The official "opening" is Tuesday, June 17th.

That means no soft openings on June 16th, to allow for media setup, etc, and a delayed public opening on the 17th, more than likely around Noon.

Unknown is what will be offered the days before, maybe a "reservation" type of system for AP's, where you have a reservation you won in a lottery, you are allowed in (if the ride is not broken), usually they will allow some others in the line, IF the line is short (basically no-shows and the ride doesn't break down, backing up the queue). Maybe a "Magical Moment" type deal, where the Dream Squad hands out sepcial passes for the previews....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• I'm not really here

I'm not certain, but didn't Monsters, Inc. do soft openings the week before it opened? As I recall you had to more or less know to go in and see if they were doing that. If they were, you got on, if not... you didn't.

I know that Splash Mt. had 2 or 3 days of soft opening when they were actually open and running the ride without telling anyone that it was open. The Ride Board showed it as closed still and they did shut it down for several hours at a time to re-adjust pumps.

I guess all we can really say is to check and see. They may, they may not.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I'm not certain, but didn't Monsters, Inc. do soft openings the week before it opened? As I recall you had to more or less know to go in and see if they were doing that. If they were, you got on, if not... you didn't.

I know that Splash Mt. had 2 or 3 days of soft opening when they were actually open and running the ride without telling anyone that it was open. The Ride Board showed it as closed still and they did shut it down for several hours at a time to re-adjust pumps.

I guess all we can really say is to check and see. They may, they may not.
    OT: that is really interesting about Splash, where did you hear about that?

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by SaraNoH View Post
    OT: that is really interesting about Splash, where did you hear about that?
    Didn't so much hear about it as experience it. Our trip coincided with that Mother's Day weekend re-opening of Splash Mountain. (Note, this isn't the original opening of the ride, this is last year after its 5 month refurb). We were there for 4 days. As we were coming out of the Haunted Mansion our first night there about 6pm we heard screams and went over. Sure enough, they were letting people on. We rode about 4 times with only about a 30 second wait time in the line. They closed it after a few hours to re-work some stuff. It was open sporadically the next few days as they tested and re-worked things. Then they opened it fully on the 4th day.

Now this was simply after a long refurb, not a grand opening. However, even with grand openings they can still do soft openings where they would like to see how it handles under a limited real situation before they start doing AP and press previews.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Now that you message it. I do now remember going on Monsters on a soft opening around Christmas of the year it was opening.