Question Worth getting an AP for the hotel discount?

So me and my cousin are planning a birthday trip down to Disneyland Resort and we've decided to splurge and stay at the GCH.

I've been doing a bit more research and noticed some people advising others to get an AP to take advantage of the discount. Would anyone happen to know how significant the savings would be at the GCH to warrant the price of an AP?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Worth getting an AP for the hotel discount?

I've never used the AP discounts for a hotel in 10 years of having an AP. I've used the WDW AP discount twice in 2 years.

Read into that what you will.

Hmm....

Another thing to take note of is I don't live nearby. I'm up in Vancouver BC. Not a long flight only 3 hours so getting an AP might encourage me to make a few more trips down :P

Why haven't you used the AP discount? Do you live nearby or just don't stay at Disney Hotels?

Quote Originally Posted by B-Dex View Post
    So me and my cousin are planning a birthday trip down to Disneyland Resort and we've decided to splurge and stay at the GCH.

I've been doing a bit more research and noticed some people advising others to get an AP to take advantage of the discount. Would anyone happen to know how significant the savings would be at the GCH to warrant the price of an AP?
    You can call the DL Room only reservation center and ask them what the rates are for the GCH for your dates and then ask if there is an AP available to see if there is a discount. AP rates are normally 10% off but they do have addtional specials through out the year where you can save up to 30% off.

• Off to Neverland

i always hear that the discounts only work @ certain offered times... but iono.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Dex View Post

Another thing to take note of is I don't live nearby. I'm up in Vancouver BC. Not a long flight only 3 hours so getting an AP might encourage me to make a few more trips down :P
    We live south of Seattle, and having the APs has definitely caused some extra, get your money's worth, very fun and happy trips.

But if you are ONLY doing it for the hotel discount (also noting that the HoJo off site offers a 20% AP holder discount) I would make absolutely sure that there is a hefty discount that you can book, before making all your plans.

But for us the AP is used for admission to the park and the discounts on food (we have Deluxe, so no discounts on merchandise). But, should they come out with an amazing discount for an onsite hotel before our APs expire (assuming that this was our Year of Disneyland and we aren't renewing), I could see us going down again and taking advantage of the discount. (though we enjoy the VALUE of the HoJo, especially at their Entertainment Book rate, more than we enjoy the onsite hotels, personally)

We just called Disney about this since we've decided to spend one night at GCH just to try it. The nice lady at Disney told us the normal AP rate is the same as the AAA rate so if you have Canadian autoclub membership you can just use that to get a discount. She said that AP holders to get a packet and there are often extra discounted times during the year but they are not gauranteed. We will be getting an AP regardless because we are going in May and will go again next April so we are getting the AP's because it's cheaper than buying 5 day park hoppers twice in one year.

We are also from the Seattle area