View Poll Results: Which existing Disney Park would you rather see put in place of DCA?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replace DCA with Disney Seas

44 72.13%
  • Replace DCA with Animal Kingdom

6 9.84%
  • Replace DCA with EPCOT Center

11 18.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• I'll pencil this in later

Re: Poll: If you could choose from other existing Disney Parks which would you rather

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Yes... it was.
    Well, I want Festival of The Lion King.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Poll: If you could choose from other existing Disney Parks which would you rather

Quote Originally Posted by Rayangelo View Post
    Well, I want Festival of The Lion King.
    You just wanted to throw the whole thing off...

• I'll pencil this in later

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    You just wanted to throw the whole thing off...
    No, that was just an added bonus.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Rayangelo View Post
    No, that was just an added bonus.
    *shakes head

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Theres a problem with many of these assumptions:

1. Disneyland itself is copied all over the world, why? Its a success....

2. Why copy an entire park? Well Tokyo Disney Seas is thousands of miles away and very very expensive to get to....

3. There is plenty of room at DCA and there is a whole parking lot to expand into which in fact is what they are doing now with carsland...

• =)

It's copied in modified form, yes. But Disneyland is more or less the model of a perfect theme park. It makes sense to transplant it, especially back when it was the only park to transplant, and people wanted to be able to visit Disneyland without traveling as far. DisneySea seems like an extraordinary park, but it's not a cultural symbol that everyone wants a piece of, and as a result, I think only taking pieces of it would be best.

However, my original argument had to do with money, not originality. Tokyo DisneySea was financed by the Oriental Land Company, and in the words of John Hammond, they spared no expense. That kind of financial freedom isn't found here on our soil, sadly.

• Ooh boy!

It's also a nearly universal cultural symbol and the model of a perfect theme park, as Data said. Other theme parks seem to agree too, basing theme parks around central hubs.

2. Why copy an entire park? Well Tokyo Disney Seas is thousands of miles away and very very expensive to get to....
    Gates are pretty much designed to entice potential guests to visit a certain resort. If it does, then it's accomplishing its goal, right? There's no reason to build one expensive resort only to have people not visit because there's a closer resort where you can have nearly the same experience.

It would be more convenient to guests, yes, but despite being Disney, we're still talking about a company and they want to profit, which won't happen at the Tokyo Disney Resort if no one is visiting because it was almost completely cloned. If someone had a truly great desire to visit TDS, they'd save up. It might be expensive and it might take a long time, but Disney theme parks aren't exactly cheap now, are they?

3. There is plenty of room at DCA and there is a whole parking lot to expand into which in fact is what they are doing now with carsland...
    Even with the Carsland expansion, TDS is well over two times larger than DCA.

The issue of money also stands tall. TDS was reported to have cost $4 billion in 2001, a far cry from the $1.1 billion going into DCA, and would probably cost even more nowadays since the value of the USD has since fallen a great deal.

• s.p.a.c.e M0UNTA1N!!

DisneySeas, most def.

•   
    • Seasick

Epcot is too big. Animal Kingdom just wouldn't be the same in an urban environment. DisneySea for sure would be my choice, but leave out the coaster m'kay?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Disney Sea of course.

But as another poster said, carbon copies aren't the best idea. But if we had something along the lines of that park, we'd be a pretty happy bunch.

• Delawarean Girl

It's really hard for me to decide. I like to choose DisneySea, only because I never been to one.

But I picked EPCOT. Only because there are some stuff that EPCOT/Disney World have that I would like Disneyland to have too. I love to eat at the different countries. As well as Club Cool and riding Test Track.

• =)

Even with the Carsland expansion, TDS is well over two times larger than DCA
    Careful there. Not sure of your source on that, but it was mistaken--Tokyo DisneySea is larger than DCA post-Carsland, yes, but not by a factor of 2, and definitely not by "well over" that factor. In fact, if you include the on-site hotels of both, the areas are quite similar. (My source? Identically-scaled aerial photos.) With a little bit of compacting, DisneySea could technically fit in that site quite well. Remember, the DLR is about small-scale charm anyway.

EDIT: And to clarify, I'm not trying to say that replacing DCA with TDS is a realistic or good idea. I'm merely stating that size isn't an issue.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't care for any of the choices. Epcot would be ok if it emulated the Epcot of the 80s and early 90s and not the Epcot of today.

And the area is way too small for an Animal Kingdom. Animals need a lot more space to roam, and why Animal Kingdom when you have one of the greatest zoos, the San Diego Zoo, just a couple of hours away.

Similarly having Disney Seas park in Anaheim makes just about as much sense as having a theme park about California in California. The real sea is less than 20 minutes away. So why bother recreating something that is much more beautiful, large, and absoloutely free when it is right there?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Why would DL fans want to ruin the 'small-scale charm' Data so accurately cites, with a lavish Vegas-like production like a TDS? It doesn't fit visually, and it would create a juxtaposition hard to ignore, or forgive, IMO. Keep DCA--most of it is in correct proportion to DL (except the Tower of Terror, which is visually awful), and doesn't detract from, or overshadow the original Park Walt built.

• Ooh boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Careful there. Not sure of your source on that, but it was mistaken--Tokyo DisneySea is larger than DCA post-Carsland, yes, but not by a factor of 2, and definitely not by "well over" that factor.
    I used Wikipedia to look up the sizes of the parks (it puts DCA at 55 acres and TDS at 176 acres).

I apologize if those sizes are incorrect, I find Wikipedia to be a solid source of information, even with the easily manipulable articles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast