Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Who Should Sponsor Burger Invasion?

Wonder Bread would get my vote.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

None of the above.
    I would also like to keep the franchised fast food out of the parks. You can get a burger & fry combo and dang near almost every eating establishment in the parks, so why would I want "outside world" burger & fries?

I don't see In-N-Out taking a BIG sposorship deal in anything. the company is privately owned and very anti-gimick. You'll never see toys in kids meals, or promotions. They do very little advertising, mostly rely on word of mouth. Would be much better than McD's but I don't see it ever happening.

one a side note we just got 3 in-n-outs here in northern Nevada this year, where as last year there were none.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by AF'nJ
    I don't see In-N-Out taking a BIG sposorship deal in anything. the company is privately owned and very anti-gimick. You'll never see toys in kids meals, or promotions. They do very little advertising, mostly rely on word of mouth. Would be much better than McD's but I don't see it ever happening.

one a side note we just got 3 in-n-outs here in northern Nevada this year, where as last year there were none.
    I know! I am sooo happy I don't have to drive down to Auburn anymore! I just go to reno or sparks!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Basking in birthday love

DLandFansAZ is absolutely spot-on. When you think of California burgers, you think of In-n-Out. Before the chain started expanding, it was always tradition on our family vacations to California (which unfailingly included a trip to Disneyland) to get lunch at INO, so the restaurant and the parks are forever linked in my mind, and I'm probably not the only one.

That said, AF'nJ is also correct in saying that INO wouldn't become a corporate sponsor for anything because they're not really a corporation. Each new restaurant follows a standard layout (which includes a drive-thru) and adheres to pretty strict standards; I don't see them building a location inside the park or allowing their product to be sold at anything less than a full INO location.

All things considered, I think Burger Invasion needs to die. They should have a table service diner-style restaurant with a decently large menu. Maybe the servers could even be on roller-skates or something.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ
    True, but that's like saying Disneyland originated in Marceline. Dick and Mac McDonald opened the non-franchise McDonald's in San Bernardino, CA but sold out to the true man behind McDonalds, Ray Kroc who opened the first true McDonalds in Des Plaines, IL in 1955. So true, it's a California brand but it grew up in Illinois.

Other hamburger places have originated in California. In-N-Out was founded in 1948 (before McDonald's) in Baldwin Park, CA. Although carhops were common then, the Snyders came up with the idea of drive-throughs. Today it is relatively small company with a huge fan base. When the first one opened here in the Phoenix area there was a minimum of 2-3 hour wait for at least the first month (compare that to the lines at DL)

Then there's the overlooked hometown original. Carl's Jr. which was started by Carl Kartchner who owned several hot dog stands in the mid 40's throughout LA. Then in 1945 he opened the first Carl's Jr in Anaheim known then as Carl's Drive-In Barbeque. Today CKE Enterprises corporate location is just down the street from DL and they now have expanded to own Hardees on the east coast and the Green Burrito.

So, I would say that McDonald's time has come and gone at DL. The TDA people hoped that Burger Invasion sponsored by McDonalds would help increase the bottom line, but all I've ever heard in bad reports. My vote goes to a hometown original such as In-N-Out or Carl's Jr. At least they have remained true to their origins.

DLandFansAZ
    The McDonald's brothers are given far too little credit. And, the corporate biography of the chain has been subject to a fair amount of historical revisionism courtesy of Ray Kroc, himself.

The founders of the chain had originated the concept and developed the style of service, themselves. They were very successful and had opened a series of restaurants long before Ray Kroc bought the company.

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Voted other...I think when the Macdonald's license expires, they should make the building into something OTHER than a restaurant, as there's PLENTY there. (and besides I hear Taste's Pilots' Grill makes a better hamburger anyway.) I'm wondering though, how big *is* the Burger Invasion building, anyway? o.o

• there's always my way...

In n Out! When I lived in Oregon for a bit i wished for an In N Out soooo bad and all I could think of was going to California to get me one! I love In N Out, In N Out is California! mmmm double double animal style with fries abd a chocolate shake....yummy
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    The bigger problem, in my opinion, is price. I remember the very first time we visited DCA and got hungry. I was thrilled to find a McDonalds franchise. Disneyland Resort food, in general, has become so horrible and overpriced that the idea of eating a familiar, predictable and inexpensive Big Mac was welcome. Of course, I was shocked to find that DCA Big Macs cost twice as much as the Big Macs in the rest of the known universe. McDonalds has made bazillions of dollars selling burgers at a cheap price all over the globe. Why do they have to cost twice as much on Disney soil? Well, of course, it's greed and Disney's propensity for bleeding a captive audience. So, what started out as a positive feeling quickly turned into bitterness. Believe me... if the Big Macs at Burger Invasion were priced the same as at the McDonalds down the street, the lines would extend out to the entrance plaza at feeding time. Frankly, I don't think McDonalds is doing themselves any favors by participating in Burger Invasion. It's like my old pal Ronald McDonald... who has always been willing to sell me a scrumptious high-fat meal at a fair price... has suddenly turned on me and become Simon LeGree rubbing his hands together. This is not great PR, folks.
    Not so captive, I just walk across Harbor!

I don't think McDonalds is completely ending their promotional ties with Disney. They are just going to go ahead on a non-exclusive basis.

• insufferable know-it-all

In-N-Out would be better for out-of-towners, who can't necessarily get In-N-Out at home. Unfortunately, it would be counter to In-N-Out's style to charge too much for their food, which is one of MANY things that make them so great.

However, as much as I *LOVE* Tommy's.... I don't think people could handle Tommy's and coasters in the same day. Tommy's is a very "special" kind of burger - the kind that taste SOOOO good you eat them even though you KNOW you'll feel ill the next day!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

I don't know how many people of you have been there or even if they still have it, it has been a long time since I was there. At the Disney/MGM studios they have/had this resturant that had a drive in movie theme. it was a sit down reasturant and the booths were shapped like cars from the 50's and they had a big movie screan playing short films from the 50's. it would be really neat if something like that was in DCA. Or at least something that is sit down and themed.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Quote Originally Posted by AF'nJ
    I don't know how many people of you have been there or even if they still have it, it has been a long time since I was there. At the Disney/MGM studios they have/had this resturant that had a drive in movie theme. it was a sit down reasturant and the booths were shapped like cars from the 50's and they had a big movie screan playing short films from the 50's. it would be really neat if something like that was in DCA. Or at least something that is sit down and themed.
    Sci-Fi Dine-In...I have never been impressed with their food, but the theming is very nice, though I wish they would play actual films, not just sci-fi previews.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    Sci-Fi Dine-In...I have never been impressed with their food, but the theming is very nice, though I wish they would play actual films, not just sci-fi previews.
    They are probably afraid it would effect the turnover!

MGM also has the Prime Time Cafe (I hope I got the name right). Two great themes in one park!

A place like Fatburger can't handle the traffic that a place like Burger Invasion gets.

Their burgers are quality, true, but they take time. And time is something that most theme park restaurants can't afford.

Now, if you wanted to make it into a diner like the "Prime Time Cafe" in WDW/D-MGM,
    that's a Tigger of an entirely different stripe. There, you could take your time, make a better product, and consequently, charge more.

-Scarecrow.

• Disneyland Freak

Disneyland. It should be knocked down and made a restaurant.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast