Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Smile How Can I Save Money at the DLR??

Hi!

I'm an Australian, young teenage girl and I'm trying to save up so my family and I can visit the DLR again in July.
    We went for my second time only last July (my first time to DLR was when i was 5!).
    I'm dying to go back again this year, but my Mum thinks we've had enough Disneyland for the next few years.

So far I've got about $1,000 but it costs a BOMB to fly from Aussie to L.A!!

How can I save money at the DLR??
    I've got a package where we stay 9 days/8 nights with 8 days of park hopping, but I need help with saving money everywhere else.

Anyone know of cheap airlines that fly Aussie to L.A??
    Any advice on saving cash would help.
    Thanks =]

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: How Can I Save Money at the DLR??

if you get a hotel room with a mini fridge you can shop at the grocery stores around the Resort area and bring food to the parks with you in a backpack rather than eat every meal inside the parks.

another way to save money is to come during our off season, flights are generally cheaper as are hotel rooms. if its possible look into booking a trip at the beginning of may, the end of september/beginning of october, or even after our Thanksgiving (4th weeks of november) and into the first 2 weeks of December, altho the first weekend of December is particularly busy due to the Candlelight Processional.

Hope you get your wish and get to visit DLR again soon, and welcome to Mice Chat
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Sock Puppet

Thanks,
    but in Australia our holidays are: April 12th - April 28th (now!)
    June 28th - July 22nd
    27th Sept - Oct 14th

So basically it's easiest to go from the end of June - mid July.
    I love Disneyland in Summer, which is the time we went last year!!
    The Disneyland Hotel has an awesome pool and I just love it (even though it does get hot, the nightimes are so nice and breezy!!)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

shame you can't go during the 27th Sept - Oct 14th time period, but sounds like you'll be happy no matter what, which is what counts the most
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Sock Puppet

yea! Thanks for your advice!
    Im looking into some cheap flights right now, so maybe i'll get lucky!
    I have to pursuade my parents to let us go in the summer.

Any more tips and advice would be really helpful!
    Also any regular advice on planning the trip is more than welcome as well!

• Banned User

You know Disneylandgirl,

If you don't have the money to make it all the way to Cali, you ever thought about going half way and seeing Tokyo Disneyland instead . Yes, its pricey too, but honestly not that much more pricey than DLR IF you do your homework. I'm from L.A., born and raised there, but live in Asia, including Tokyo for awhile and trust me, a few days at TDS, you will be happy you guys did. And even better, you get to see a whole new culture and city. Think about it .

But yeah, don't even think about seeing Hong Kong Disneyland just yet....truly awful!

• Sock Puppet

yea um, I just spent a year living in South Korea and had the worst year of my life there.
    Believe me, I'm in no rush to get back to Asia!

Plus, I love the feel and the magic of the original Disneyland, the one Walt himself opened in 1955.

I did consider Tokyo Disneyland, but did decide against it.
    I love Disneyland California, and plus, you get the 2 parks there, rather than the 1 park at Tokyo. And there's also more rides =D

Thanks for the idea though!

Keep the tips coming =D

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandgirl94 View Post
    yea um, I just spent a year living in South Korea and had the worst year of my life there.

Plus, I love the feel and the magic of the original Disneyland, the one Walt himself opened in 1955.

I love Disneyland California, and plus, you get the 2 parks there, rather than the 1 park at Tokyo. And there's also more rides =D

Keep the tips coming =D
    Actually, Tokyo Disney Resort has 2 theme parks: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea.

I've never travelled this far before, so I don't know about saving money for getting here, except don't stop looking.

I hope you can make it out here, because, contrary to your parents belief, there is no such thing as too much Disneyland.

P.S. Welcome to MiceChat!

• =)

Book the flight early, bring lots of outside food into the park with you, restrict yourself to only one or two souvenirs, and then have a blast! I hope you have a great time.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Some money savers would be to stay at one of the suite hotels that offer a free breakfast and dinner such as the Homewood Suites, Residence Inn, etc. Most of these also have mini-kitchens in the rooms so you can save a small fortune if you only eat one meal a day in the park rather than 3.

• 1375 miles away

Although I have no knowledge of coming from Australia I did remember reading some tips from some others travelers on another board. I went back and looked for you. Here were a few of their tips:

darren123 "Our tips to save money: best time to book and pay for airfares are in November we are going with Air Pacific to LAX and Qantas back to Australia and booking through Jetset we saved $700 per person. Book and pay online for park tickets etc as you will save alot as to booking through a travel agent.'

melbarkwith "FYI - We flew Air New Zealand from Melbourne, and it was quite a bit cheaper than Qantas. They also have the individual tv screens (kids had a ball watching a movie and playing games!)"

MouseFan Down Under "Although flying Air NZ will save you some $ - the flight, I think, works out to be about 4 hours longer than Qantas. So consider the money vs time factor. Also Qantas gets in early in the morning (7:30am) so it give you a whole day."

BecBennett "We flew with United Airlines, and they didn't have the little individual TV screens in the backs of their chairs. If I'd known this I would have paid the extra and gone with Qantas." So I am thinking United Airlines may be a little less expensive?

Aust "Depending on if you have flexibility of flight times, on the way home I'd recommend getting a late flight (ours was 10.30pm) - it gave us all day at DL and you can sleep for most of the trip home." (I shortened the quote by a few words.)

DizOz "Another tip, on your flight, assuming you are flying economy like the rest of us, try to sit as far forward as you can. It makes a big difference to the wait time to get through immigration when you disembark at LAX. Nothing worse standing around for long period of time at immigarion after a 15+ hour flight."

MouseFan Down Under "With the Aussie Dollar so good at the moment, as you save some extra cash think of exchanging it into greenback - that way you will not be able to spend it at home."

MouseFan Down Under "Buy tickets for the entire length of your stay - even if you don't think you will go to the parks every day - it's cheaper to buy here for a longer period than to buy a day here and there once at the gate. (And often it's fun after being out and about for the day just to go in and watch the fireworks)."

There seem to be quite a few Aussies on the other board. PM me if you would like a link.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandgirl94 View Post

Keep the tips coming =D
    Well, while I understand, South Korea isn't exactly Tokyo now is it (and I lived in both, living in South Korea now .

And yeah, you do get two parks in Tokyo. In fact, I think its safe to say Tokyo Disneysea is easily 10 times better than the sad little DCA could ever be and you talking to a guy who has been both of them dozens of times now. TDS has to be seen to believed, there is no other theme park like it on earth....except Disneyland .

Anyway, just an idea since the airfare would be lower and with the smaller flight, you can do it in 4-5 days easily with at least 1-2 days thrown in to see Tokyo. Also, despite the bad rep Tokyo get concerning cost, you do it right and its honestly no more difference between Tokyo and Anaheim. Tics, souvenirs, food and etc are all on par with each each other, in some cases TDR is actually lower, ESPECIALLY the ticket prices . Its really the hotel issue though, but depending on the time of year, you can get decent ones for $80-100 a night. But, I understand the draw to see the original, my only point is you seen it and WILL see it again!

Anyway good luck

• Rock Star Minion

Get a credit card.
    File for bankruptcy.

Or, wait another year or so and keep saving.

Or, wait until you have a job that requires travel to The States.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• decorating

I completely second staying off resort in a hotel with a kitchenette or fridge... 9 days is soooo many, you'll have lots of time inside the park, and you guys can treat yourself to a meal inside the park, like a nice dinner. Pack a sack lunch and leave it in a backpack or rent a locker.
    Save buying souveniers for the last day, or if there are little ones, an autograph book could be great! Or a photo album for all of the pictures.
    Buy bottles water off site and bring in your own plastic bottled water.

• Sock Puppet

Thanks for these ideas.
    They're good.
    We really do just want to stay at the Disneyland Resort though, and we can cover the cost of that. It's mostly the little things, like the food (good idea on bringing in our own food - will use that tip) and souvenirs, etc.

I'm going to keep looking for cheap flights, as that's the main problem here - the cost of airfare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast