Animatronic Costuming: Underrated?

I was recently looking at the new HK Small World page that features a section on JUST the AA costumes and thought this is a very underrated aspect of Imagineering. I remeber riding MKs Small World the weke it opened, and the 1st thing i noticed and drew my eye were the new saturated colors and embroidery of the new costumes. Same w/ Pirates and Mansion which all i saw being made. Does anyone else think this is a very underrated part of Imagineering?

• Banned User

Re: Animatronic Costuming: Underrated?

Well, sometimes I think that Audio Animatronics in general are an underrated part of Imagineering.

It's getting so good, that it's getting easier and easier for me to forget what is real, and what isn't.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    I was recently looking at the new HK Small World page that features a section on JUST the AA costumes and thought this is a very underrated aspect of Imagineering. I remeber riding MKs Small World the weke it opened, and the 1st thing i noticed and drew my eye were the new saturated colors and embroidery of the new costumes. Same w/ Pirates and Mansion which all i saw being made. Does anyone else think this is a very underrated part of Imagineering?

Alice Davis definitely set a standard with both Pirates and Small World. She's one of the few legends we have left.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Alice Davis definitely set a standard with both Pirates and Small World. She's one of the few legends we have left.
    Amen!! She was in charge of choosing and dressing each and every costume in both attractions, (and I'm guessing Carousel of Progress as well as America Sings?) Alice is amazing.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Animatronic Costuming: Underrated?

There's a great interview with Davis in what I fear is the last issue of The E Ticket. I was surprised how interesting it was; that old broad is a real kick in the pants. She suggested making spare costumes for POTC, and was shot down. So she made them anyway. Then the day came when damaged costumes needed to be replaced, people started panicking, and Alice calmly open a storage area full of costumes. Needless to say, having replacements on hand became standard procedure after that. It's a great read if you can find it.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• I'm not really here

I love watching DVD extras (first thing I do when I buy a new DVD) and one of my favorites is the costuming aspect. It is so amazing watching them try to figure out what this character would have worn and WHY they would have worn it. Taking brand new fabric and making it look like the character has actually lived in it and used it.

It applies to AA costuming as well and it is an amazing talent. Especially in rides where you have dozens and dozens of AA figures to costume. Alice Davis has done an incredible job and helped to create some of the most memorable characters anywhere.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• A Weather Eye Open

i love costuming. i adore both the costumes of the characters and the aa costumes; i kind of wish more attention was paid to this so that they could always have big costume budgets for tons of character costumes and to reurbish AA costumes to keep them fresh and detailed.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)