Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Soy una Cornquistadora!

Remember fireworks: positive thoughts?

I know a lot of the fireworks threads are concentrating on comparisons of the show to Believe and complaints of the awful crowds. Suppose you actually are enjoying the fireworks to the fullest experience. Is there a particular part in the fireworks show that puts a sentimental lump in your throat or makes you misty-eyed? What do like most about the fireworks?

I always get a little misty-eyed when the zippy green shells go off and Peter Pan says, "I wish.. that I'll never have to grow up!" - maybe its because I've just graduated and I need a job! - and also when the soundtrack cuts in with Walt's speech. My favorite parts are the stretching elevator/hm sequence, the flaming red Mara castle, and the PotC scene. I always knew that the castle had evil agendas of its own, and who knew that the Matterhorn was a big pirate in disguise?

Your positive recollections?
    double the powder and shorten the fuse?

• Social Imagineer

Re: Remember fireworks: positive thoughts?

Ditto on the lump in throat moments. Peter Pan's never wanting to grow up resonnates so strongly with me. And Tinkerbell flying over Sleeping Beauty Castle while Walt's welcome speech plays has me anywhere from choked up to actually crying. I can't help but think at that moment of how pleased I imagine Walt Disney would be to see the illusion of Tinkerbell flying achieved so sweetly.

Though it's never quite the same after the first time, the Haunted Mansion stretch room as seen from the Hub is the most brilliant and clever fireworks effect of all time.

The Matterhorn and West Side battle during the Pirates of the Caribbean sequence is stunning and so much absolute fun!

The Castle projection effects are wonderful, as are the added touches of fire balls during Indy, spinny pryo during the Toon segment, and especially the ducks & castle "hits" for the Shooting Arcade sequence.

The three-dimensionality of the show is amazing. It's all proscenium perfect when viewed from the Hub, but you can really appreciate the depth-effect if you view the show from the roof of Mickey & Friends. That being said, the pyro shells in the far background of sky (ya know, where all previous Disneyland fireworks shows were once confined to) are all uniformly excellent, innovative, and beautiful.

The salute to Disneyland as opposed to honoring the Disney animated films is a welcome change, a perfect tribute for the anniversary, and a great way to recap the events of a day at the Park.

Best.Disneyland.Fireworks.Show.Ever.

• Basking in birthday love

This is, without a doubt, the best show they could have conceived for the anniversary. I've heard it said that if you haven't formed a special bond with any of the rides (I personally beam with pride that the Haunted Mansion segment is the longest in the show), it just won't be as cool as other fireworks shows. The last time I saw it from Main Street, from the train station, I was sobbing up through about Pirates because it was just so COOL.

And yeah, the roof of Mickey and Friends is a surprisingly good venue, especially when the wind shifts and you can hear the music from the park. The new effects on Small World are also excellent.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Hard to say what is my favorite part - maybe seeing Tink do her acrobatics around the castle reminding me of the old Disneyland show. Maybe the projections on the castle. Maybe the music. Nope, can't figure it out; it is all incredible and I can't watch it without becoming misty eyed.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• insufferable know-it-all

The new fireworks are AMAZING. Can't wait till winter to see them again (not fighting the crowds, let them enjoy the hub for now)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• =)

On the 5th, I lucked out and got a premium spot at the south end of the hub with my family. For some of us (myself included) it was our first viewing. I thought it was an extremely impressive and well-put-together show. The three-dimensionality of it is astounding; it's almost interactive, they way you're placed right at the center of the show. I found all the segments clever, and the use of non-generic fireworks makes a world of a difference, as usual. I thought the fireball effects for the Indy segment seemed a little understated--it would have been nice to see one huge fireball explode from the top of the castle--but they were awesome anyway.

I suppose if I were to pick a favorite segment, it would be the Haunted Mansion segment. Stretching room...awesome...

• FastPass n00b

I would just like to mention that it's not necessary to search for good things to say about this show, there are so many good things that any negatives are FAR outweighed by the positives. I can honestly say that this is the most breathtaking, extravagant, creative, lump-in-throat-inducing shows Disneyland has put on since Fantasmic.

The shells are absolutely enormous and there are so many little details and additions around the Hub and castle that it's absolute sensory overload. I sent a very positive e-mail to Disneyland (credit where credit is due) and anyone that has anything bad to say about this show has truly ripped themselves off of one of the best shows in the world. About 5 years ago I had to wait for 45 extra minutes for Fantasmic! in a dense crowd where I couldn't sit down (even after a full day of standing/walking). I wasn't even sure if the show was going to be canceled for technical difficulties or not because they said it was canceled but they said there was also a chance it might be fixed. So I hung around even after closing time because I knew what an incredible show it is. Eventually the lights dimmed, the music started and I still have absolutely nothing but good things to say about it.

So if someone needs to dig deep to find something good to say about Remember, I pity them because they will never realize how incredibly moving and emotional this show truly is.

Favorite segment: the incredible transition from the Tiki Room to the Indy ride. It fits so well and the flames, combined with the music, red lights and fireworks is astounding. "The gods have been angered"...like getting Mara angry, just an amazingly smooth transition!

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I would just like to mention that it's not necessary to search for good things to say about this show, there are so many good things that any negatives are FAR outweighed by the positives. I can honestly say that this is the most breathtaking, extravagant, creative, lump-in-throat-inducing shows Disneyland has put on since Fantasmic.

The shells are absolutely enormous and there are so many little details and additions around the Hub and castle that it's absolute sensory overload. I sent a very positive e-mail to Disneyland (credit where credit is due) and anyone that has anything bad to say about this show has truly ripped themselves off of one of the best shows in the world. About 5 years ago I had to wait for 45 extra minutes for Fantasmic! in a dense crowd where I couldn't sit down (even after a full day of standing/walking). I wasn't even sure if the show was going to be canceled for technical difficulties or not because they said it was canceled but they said there was also a chance it might be fixed. So I hung around even after closing time because I knew what an incredible show it is. Eventually the lights dimmed, the music started and I still have absolutely nothing but good things to say about it.

So if someone needs to dig deep to find something good to say about Remember, I pity them because they will never realize how incredibly moving and emotional this show truly is.

Favorite segment: the incredible transition from the Tiki Room to the Indy ride. It fits so well and the flames, combined with the music, red lights and fireworks is astounding. "The gods have been angered"...like getting Mara angry, just an amazingly smooth transition!
    Lately it seems like the only thing said about the fireworks around here is "OMG CROWDS, that's what they get for designing a show that can only be seen from one location" griping. I can understand DM's desire to be reassured that we all really do like it.

And that transition is the single best in the whole show, I think.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Soy una Cornquistadora!

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    The salute to Disneyland as opposed to honoring the Disney animated films is a welcome change, a perfect tribute for the anniversary, and a great way to recap the events of a day at the Park.
    I have a lot of attraction mp3s that I just listen to when I miss the park. My friends think I'm weird, so I never set my playlist on random. This is why no amount of Disney movie orchestral montage will tug at my heartstrings the way that they've chosen to pay homage to the attractions that make up the park itself and the Disneyland experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Yes, its too easy to focus on the negatives, especially when there are so many positives! I read somewhere the Disneyland spends at least $41,000 per night on fireworks. Whether you're paying $53 for one day, or $200+ for half the year.. its a deal.

And the Tiki>Indy transition is genius!
    double the powder and shorten the fuse?

• =)

I don't remember the Tiki Room>Indy transition!

• FastPass n00b

It's amazing to me that people actually scold Disneyland for placing such emphasis around the Hub and castle. They quickly forget that Fantasmic! is centered around Tom Sawyer's Island which is a pretty small area too. They decide to do something special with the icon of Disneyland (and Walt Disney Pictures) and people beat them over the head for it.

I think the trouble is that people think of this show as a "fireworks display". While it is technically a fireworks display, that'd be like calling the Grand Canyon a big hole in the desert. In typical Disneyland Entertainment fashion, there is no category to lump Remember into, kind of like Fantasmic! has no entertainment category. So the fact that they chose to incorporate the castle into the show is no more foolish than incorporating TSI into Fantasmic!. If it were a straightforward fireworks display, THEN people would have the right to complain because the castle wouldn't be an integral part of the show. But I think the way they use the castle and integrate it into the show excuses their placing it in a confined area. It's an ingenious idea and I feel that the Entertainment department should be lauded, and not lambasted for this decision.

I think if people started thinking about it as a fully integrated show and not a "fireworks display with the castle as a backdrop", they'd understand the value of the location they chose. It's funny that no one ever complains about Fantasmic! being in a fairly confined area because it's the same exact principle.

I kind of wonder if this complaining is simply coming from the vocal minority. With every communication medium there's always a very small, but very vocal, group that complains about anything and everything. And we must also keep in mind that stating a fact is a lot different than complaining. IMO there is nothing wrong with someone stating there are huge crowds and it's hard to see the fireworks or move around afterwards. That's simply a fact of a very popular attraction. It's how they talk about it and how they dwell on it that separates complaining from fact.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-15-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Tink's first flight is the best part of the show. It was just so shocking, I was waiting almost a whole year for that moment, and finally seeing it, Tink, Fireworks, Walt's voice, I thought I was gonna cry but I couldn't because I was so in shock. I just kept holding my sister, making a smile I think I've never EVER done. As Julie Andrews would put it, the feelings were indescribable.
    Last edited by Mr. Disney; 08-16-2005 at 04:17 PM.

• =)

I totally agree with Mrs. Rabbit.

• Shop Steward

"I don't remember the Tiki Room>Indy transition!"

A thunder clap happens and a tiki bird exclaims "the Gods have been angered by all the celebratin.'" At that moment, the music climbs the scale really quickly to go right into the Indy fireballs.

===

The only thing I wish is that "Remember..." wasn't based so closely around "Wishes: A Magical Gathering." As a storyline and score go, Walt Disney World's "Wishes" is far superior to me, but in terms of sheer scale, "Remember..." wins hands down.

That said, my favorite moment of both shows is the final "Wishes, dream a dream. Wishes, set them free. Wishes, trust your heart - just believe! Just believe! Just believe!" and on into "When You Wish Upon a Star." It's such a powerful moment as the music is swelling and the wishes and dreams of people every where truly are coming true.

I've seen "Remember" once a night, six days a week, since before the show debuted on May 4, and that moment still gives me chills.
    Last edited by iluvdisneyland; 08-16-2005 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Misspelled "anger."
    -David

• Just this guy......

The new show is great! Yes, the crowds are awful, but what are you going to do? It's the 50th and summer even without this new show there would be large crowds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast